Dell XPS 15 Query & Sandy-Bridge Questions

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Dell XPS 15 Laptop (L501x)

But since Sandy-bridge is here, I want to clear some things up.

1. When will Dell have new Sandy-Bridge models i.e. for Dell XPS 15 line??

2. Is Sandy-Bridge fault is gonna affect the launch of new models?? How much delay can be there??

3. Is there gonna be a price drop in a month or so..??

I need the laptop by end of this month. But i could wait for march if there is something interesting :)

Thanks.. :p

Kishal

Aadivasi Hungryyy!!!
Sandy bridge based xps 15 may not be so near, although dell will me refurbishing its linup in the near future. IMO, their interst will be to test sandy bridge with better lappys first, as they have already included SB in the M17x. anyways, i may be wrong, so look out.
Notebooks will rarely be affected, coz the defect is with the chipset, not the proccy. read this
Sandy bridge laptops have already begun coming up, like the asus N53SV.
Hp has SB lappys in the US, no tentative date for India. Lenovo will also be launching SB lappys soon.

OP
sameer.pur

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
^ Hmm.. thanks for the info.
But I am solely interested in Dell only. So i guess i will just go with this one. :)
One question though, when L502x comes out.. current one will be discontinued or it's price will go down??

Kishal

Aadivasi Hungryyy!!!
IMO, dell will just add SB processors to its customization list and will also continue to provide older cpu's for a while. i'm not an economist, just a student, so again, i may be wrong here. Another thing that appeals to me is that the xps 16 is still the old studio xps thing with a C2D. they might be willing to revamp that first. I did hear a rumour that dell will improve its limup in feb, but it hasnt been to any effect as of now. BTW, by when do you need this laptop

OP
sameer.pur

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Well, I am eager to get it now .. :)

But I could wait until 10 march, if there is something interesting... :p

Kishal

Aadivasi Hungryyy!!!
if you can wait, then its always better be patient than to bang your head in the nearest wall when your newly bought product gets outdated (have experienced it). look out for SB, and IMO, check out other brands too.

OP
sameer.pur

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Dell US site already have new sandy-bridge XPS 15 and 17.

And all XPS 14,15 are gone from Dell India Site.
Hope this means that they are gonna launch here too soon... :)

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Dell US site already have new sandy-bridge XPS 15 and 17.

And all XPS 14,15 are gone from Dell India Site.
Hope this means that they are gonna launch here too soon... :)

Can you please give the URL?

Because when I checked, its saying.. XPS 15 laptops are currently out of stock. We recommend a range of XPS 14 and Inspiron 15R laptops that can serve your requirements.

pauldmps

Banned
The XPS 14 has been discontinued. Dell claims that they will replace it with something thinner & lighter.

The XPS 15 & 17 will see Sandy Bridge refresh.

OP
sameer.pur

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Can you please give the URL?

Because when I checked, its saying.. XPS 15 laptops are currently out of stock. We recommend a range of XPS 14 and Inspiron 15R laptops that can serve your requirements.

I said it's available in US and Europe. Check
Code:
*www.dell.com/us/p/laptops

The XPS 14 has been discontinued. Dell claims that they will replace it with something thinner & lighter.

The XPS 15 & 17 will see Sandy Bridge refresh.

Yeah, I have read that news. But XPS 14 is still available on Dell India site for now. :)

On the other note, I have ordered a Dell XPS 15, as I seriously need a laptop now. ;)
i3,i5 are out of stock and i7 is also limited. (as told by Dell Sale Rep.)
But I got a 6% discount.. So it's good for me. :D

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
On the other note, I have ordered a Dell XPS 15, as I seriously need a laptop now. ;)
i3,i5 are out of stock and i7 is also limited. (as told by Dell Sale Rep.)
But I got a 6% discount.. So it's good for me. :D

Hey, great... Congratulations for that! :)
BTW, whats the configuration? And whats the exact model number?

OP
sameer.pur

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Hey, great... Congratulations for that! :)
BTW, whats the configuration? And whats the exact model number?
Thanks... It's the L501x.
Config is = i7-Q740M, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 1080p screen, nVidia GTX 435M video card and 9-cell battery with back-lit keyboard.
Final price for me 62k.

The XPS 15 is now out of stock in India.
Yeah, it is no longer available for order.

reddead

LoSt!
Thanks... It's the L501x.
Config is = i7-Q740M, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 1080p screen, nVidia GTX 435M video card and 9-cell battery with back-lit keyboard.
Final price for me 62k.

Yeah, it is no longer available for order.

when will it be available again.....i need one by april end....

OP
sameer.pur

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
what might be the possible cost of sandy bridge version of xps and will they offer the old xps too???
I don't know, but from the looks of it and pricing of old XPS and new XPS 15 in US, I would say that price would be around 10k higher if not same, but the old ones won't be offered. They would just replace the current processor options.

reddead

LoSt!
I don't know, but from the looks of it and pricing of old XPS and new XPS 15 in US, I would say that price would be around 10k higher if not same, but the old ones won't be offered. They would just replace the current processor options.

does it mean that they will just add up the option of sandybridge processor in the customization options.....while showing the earlier processors too...