Dell Studio 14 Laptop OR MACbOOK

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
macbook pro has 10 hours battery life, 10x times better hardware (not in terms of processor and ram) which is the look and feel, multi touch, no anti virus and so many things u might missed out as compare to any other laptop.

u better go n have a look at the apple store before going for dell. 15inch screen?? now this is a little crazy!!

stop talking like a fanboy. and please stop this no antirivus thing.

if you think that having a better case means 10x times better hardware, am sorry to say this, you do need to get some knowledge about computing.

OP
T

techmaniack

Broken In
i visited the dell store today, for a demo. All they had to test the processor was a HD video! neways i tried it on core i5 540M 3M cache (45%-50% CPU usage ) and core i7 740QM 6M cache(14%-17% CPU usage). This has made things a lot clear for me.

The question of mac is out of sight coz i don't think the performance will be anywhere around the Dells config. I just attracted towards mac because of its Brand Name and nothing else...

So, i have almost made up my mind that i would be going for Dell Studio 15...
if you have any suggestions pls feel free to share.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

@DesiiBond the Graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 1GB...

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
macbook pro has 10 hours battery life, 10x times better hardware (not in terms of processor and ram) which is the look and feel, multi touch, no anti virus and so many things u might missed out as compare to any other laptop.

"No need of Antivirus" is NOT hardware dependent. You can have that with any Linux distro in that Dell for your information :D :D :D
And :lol: @ "10x better in terms of hardware (not in terms of proccy and ram)" :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Dell Studio 15 is a solid choice :)

hackerzlab

Journeyman
10x times better is just a metaphor.

dude, i'm not being a fanboy here. i dont like it when somebody takes it personally. just being truthful n tryin to help.

as for my stand,

1. a windows will get virus 10 out of 10 times when given a chance while mac has a minimal chance. not that its not possible.
2. 10 hours battery life. which windows machine gives this?
3. great body
4. multi touch. (trying using your laptop for a day without an attached mouse hehe).
5. snow leopard is lighter as compared to windows OS. my own experience. i have been using windows since the days of windows 98 if u wanna know.

its trouble free as compared to windows machines.. no more comments on this.

azzu

AJJU
1. a windows will get virus 10 out of 10 times when given a chance while mac has a minimal chance. not that its not possible.
Not really ..
Many of people here i assure will be usin windows from more than an year without any virus issue..
given a chance one can get...Malaria too . its all on u how u use ur system..
there's also a Os named linux which one can use if u r Allergic to windows
Now go and search for 10 hours battery laptops and 8/10 laptops search returns are Windows..
ever heard of Extendable Batteries ( 9cell , 12 cell etc..)
3. great body
No
4. multi touch. (trying using your laptop for a day without an attached mouse hehe).
Agian ..many here use laptop for more than a day without .. he he he
5. snow leopard is lighter as compared to windows OS. my own experience. i have been using windows since the days of windows 98 if u wanna know.
its ur Own experience and there are many others too...
but finally the OP's matter most here Right ?

WAT ?>

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

dude, i'm not being a fanboy here. i dont like it when somebody takes it personally. just being truthful n tryin to help.

as for my stand,

3. great body

Hey. We are not asking you to take stand. Your two posts showed that you recommend mac for it's look and multitouch while The op needs a powerful laptop
Tha can excel in processing power. So, suggesting app mac here is like asking to live with megan fox and not make love.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

as for my stand,

3. great body

You are simply comparing the two OSes against each other. Not considering factors like performance and costs. The biggest problem with OS X is the binding of their OS to Apple hardware and the extent to which their machines cost. That's why Apple products are no more than Premium Products with only the quality of their OS and some style to show for with inferior hardware. An Apple machine with good hardware costs a bomb.
Also regarding the Virus problem, I think I've already told you the answer.
Thus In this situation Dell Studio 15, is the right choice.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The question of mac is out of sight coz i don't think the performance will be anywhere around the Dells config. I just attracted towards mac because of its Brand Name and nothing else...
I know, which is why I asked you to go take a look at it.

I am not going to get involved in this Mac versus PC debate all over again but you would be doing a disservice to yourself if you have an Apple Authorised Reseller in your city and do not at least go there once and use a Mac for a little while. You are about to spend half a lac on a computer and you owe it to yourself to look at all the options out there.

The first time I was in the market for a notebook, I got one suggestion out of twenty posts to go and take a look at a Mac. Thankfully for me, even though I was almost on the brink of purchasing an HP notebook then, I listened to that one blessed commenter, and it changed my life forever. I know it sounds like an exaggeration but it really has had that impact on me. (Three years later, I Googled for his username, found his e-mail address and sent him a “thank you” note.)

You may find that you prefer the customisability of Windows or the raw processing power in a cheaper machine that PC manufacturers offer even after trying a Mac. If so, by all means, buy the Dell Studio; it sounds like a great machine.

But you won’t know what you are missing until you give it a shot.

That’s all I’m sayin’. :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
But you won’t know what you are missing until you give it a shot.

aaah. lovely post. Can you please elaborate what will be missed?

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

i visited the dell store today, for a demo. All they had to test the processor was a HD video! neways i tried it on core i5 540M 3M cache (45%-50% CPU usage ) and core i7 740QM 6M cache(14%-17% CPU usage). This has made things a lot clear for me.

So, i have almost made up my mind that i would be going for Dell Studio 15...
if you have any suggestions pls feel free to share.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

@DesiiBond the Graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 1GB...

ah. that GPU is a weak link but still, should be okay. Also, if possible opt for 1yr or 3yr complete cover accident protection. 1yr costs 800 something and three year should cost around 8k (which can be taken later too).

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
yeah even i've heard abt Acer Laptops but then u c the after sales service from Dell is better!!!

Pls suggest A Laptop within 55k or so, i'd be buying one in this week itself so it URGENT

Acer AS7551G-5821
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium ; 64-bit version; AMD Phenom™ II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N930 (2MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz); 4GB (2/2) DDR3 1066 SDRAM; 500GB hard drive; integrated Super-Multi drive; 5-in-1 card reader; Acer® CineCrystal 17.3" (1600 x 900) TFT display; ATI Radeon™ HD 5650 graphics; 802.11b/g/n WLAN, gigabit LAN, webcam; black chassis; one-year limited warranty

Around some 45k

hackerzlab

Journeyman
what he's missed? well to tell u the truth, its an apple thing (by this, i mean to use it a month or two and not a day). yeah mock at me, i used windows for over 10 years.

Here's the reason why i recommend him a mac from the OP.

what i care about

-Video editing/converting
-Web Designing (Adobe Dreamweaver, Flash, Flex, )
-XAMPP
-Multiple OS's
-VMWare(a couple of virtual machines)
-a lot of coding as i am an engg student. (i.e keyboard and mousepad should be friendly)

What i don't care about

-Weight
-Looks

here's why,
1. i have made over 10 videos using iMovie and Final Cut Pro and video conversion, i keep doing it for my cell phone and friends using imToo conversion.

2. i work freelance and make websites & newsletters/brochures all the time using photoshop and other tools.

3. Yes i use Xampp and also Mamp

4. I use VMWARE Fushion and have installed windows xp but i never use it. just installed to test it. very very stable.

5. Xcode pre-installed (else they will give u a DVD) for all your coding needs. i'm and engg student myself.

6. Keyboard and multi touch mouse pad is freaking AWESOME. u wont like to use a windows laptop again after using the multi touch (repeating again. yes)

7. weight? oh yeah. far better and since u r considering the weight, i assume u would be going around in ur college and so a 10 hours battery backup will do u good.

8. Looks? i haven't seen a better looking laptop than those of apple macbook pro/air. may be i should check my glasses or u should.

now what is desiibond and azzu talking about? Respect to desiibond but keep your ego aside sometimes dude. btw, i like your megan fox thingy hehe ;-)

My macbook pro has just 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD and C2D 2.26 GHz (i bought it a year back) while the new macbook pro comes with 4GB RAM DDR3, 250GB HDD and C2D 2.4 Ghz among other things at the same price after students' discount @ 12% - Rs 63k. Macbook has the same config at a lower price.

Macbook Pro has more than u need buddy only if u have the cash.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
what he's missed? well to tell u the truth, its an apple thing (by this, i mean to use it a month or two and not a day). yeah mock at me, i used windows for over 10 years.

Here's the reason why i recommend him a mac from the OP.

here's why,
1. i have made over 10 videos using iMovie and Final Cut Pro and video conversion, i keep doing it for my cell phone and friends using imToo conversion.

2. i work freelance and make websites & newsletters/brochures all the time using photoshop and other tools.

3. Yes i use Xampp and also Mamp

4. I use VMWARE Fushion and have installed windows xp but i never use it. just installed to test it. very very stable.

5. Xcode pre-installed (else they will give u a DVD) for all your coding needs. i'm and engg student myself.

6. Keyboard and multi touch mouse pad is freaking AWESOME. u wont like to use a windows laptop again after using the multi touch (repeating again. yes)

7. weight? oh yeah. far better and since u r considering the weight, i assume u would be going around in ur college and so a 10 hours battery backup will do u good.

8. Looks? i haven't seen a better looking laptop than those of apple macbook pro/air. may be i should check my glasses or u should.

now what is desiibond and azzu talking about? Respect to desiibond but keep your ego aside sometimes dude. btw, i like your megan fox thingy hehe ;-)

My macbook pro has just 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD and C2D 2.26 GHz (i bought it a year back) while the new macbook pro comes with 4GB RAM DDR3, 250GB HDD and C2D 2.4 Ghz among other things at the same price after students' discount @ 12% - Rs 63k. Macbook has the same config at a lower price.

Macbook Pro has more than u need buddy only if u have the cash.

now, replace that core2duo with a blazing fast quad core/8 thread core i7
replace that 4GB 800/1066MHz RAM with 1333MHz DDR3
double the HDD size and get a HDD with faster RPM which turns to faster data transfer rates.

imagine now how faster the video editing would be. This is exactly what the OP would need! Amen! :)

macbooks are definitely the best looking laptops but sorry, they just don't have enough juice for number crunching! And if you think that me suggesting the OP to go for powerful beast over sexy look is Ego, sorry mate, can't help. :)

Intel has almost phased out Core2Duo out of the market but Apple is still using it. The same hardware that Apple opts for 1.5L macbook pro comes in a 30k laptop running windows 7.

Do remember that I do suggest macs for guys who need it, who just need it for movies music etc or to develop apps for iOS or to show off in public by sitting outside a mall and pretending to do something really important (yes, I come across these guys every time I go to a mall in Bangalore) but for some serious stuff, sorry, it's PC all the way. And one more thing, my friend's manager denied to get him a macbook because it's not worth in office environment and he is right. There are other who got it and deemed it not worthy for serious use.

OP
T

techmaniack

Broken In
@Desiibond i'll be going with 1yr Accident warranty, and that Megan Fox comment was dhaaasu...

@Arya bro i truly deeply and madly want to buy macBook and i will when i will go out in the market to buy a Laptop to just USE. Today i need a laptop to WORK ON!
Listen i do have faith in Steve Jobs and his company but i wonder how could they out perform (core i7 + 4GB + 1GB Graphics) with just (c2d + 2GB + lesser graphics)!!!

and regarding the virus thingy, i love to play with them! i don't feel complete if i don't carry a couple of them with me, so BEWARE before you want a movie in your PenDrive from my laptop... ;)

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

@RajKumar, the aceconfig looks cool, but... i'm tempted towards core i7! i wish the AMD guys could have launched their Fusion stuff in the first quarter of 2010 coz i'm a great fan of AMD but in laptops intel ROCKS!!!

hackerzlab

Journeyman
Do remember that I do suggest macs for guys who need it, who just need it for movies music etc or to develop apps for iOS or to show off in public by sitting outside a mall and pretending to do something really important (yes, I come across these guys every time I go to a mall in Bangalore) but for some serious stuff, sorry, it's PC all the way. And one more thing, my friend's manager denied to get him a macbook because it's not worth in office environment and he is right. There are other who got it and deemed it not worthy for serious use.
LOL... now, ur reputation is seriously at stake.

Good if the OP wants to go for dell. i tried to help.

mac os doesn't require such a high end hardware. its as fast as any other laptops my friends have with i5/i7 laptops - the reason why i say mac os is lighter as compare to windows os.

may be u should find someone who uses macbook pro and get a "real feel" instead of those demo pieces in the stores and using it for few minutes not knowing what to click or what to do.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

wait a minute, desiibond posted
now, replace that core2duo with a blazing fast quad core/8 thread core i7
replace that 4GB 800/1066MHz RAM with 1333MHz DDR3
double the HDD size and get a HDD with faster RPM which turns to faster data transfer rates.

imagine now how faster the video editing would be. This is exactly what the OP would need! Amen! :smile:

Intel has almost phased out Core2Duo out of the market but Apple is still using it. The same hardware that Apple opts for 1.5L macbook pro comes in a 30k laptop running windows 7.
sorry mate, u dont even know which RAM macbook pro uses and u r suggesting someone already? and if u think processor speed, ram and hdd is the only thing u care about when choosing a laptop? sorry dude, u can't be helped. why a laptop? get a PC instead.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
When you should get a Mac:
  • You have used a Mac and think that Mac OS X is the best operating system ever made and cannot imagine using any other operating system now.

When you should not get a Mac:
  • You work in an office or go to an educational institution that demands that you use particular applications that only run on Windows and most of your computing involves around using those applications.
  • You have used a Mac and decided that you do not like Mac OS X.
  • You think it will make you look cool.

What tasks can Windows do that Mac OS X cannot:
  • Practically, nothing. But like I said before, some corporations and educational institutions place artificial restraints on their employees and students respectively that force them to stick with Windows.

What tasks can Mac OS X do that Windows cannot:
  • Practically, nothing. It’s not about what you do, it’s how you do it.

Reasons to prefer Macs over PCs:
  • Better quality software
  • Lack of viruses
  • Better stability
  • More user friendly design
  • Better quality hardware
  • Sexier looking machines
  • Premium support (not as applicable in India as in the USA)

Reasons to prefer PCs over Macs:
  • More control over both software and hardware
  • Cheaper
  • Better compatibility
  • Familiarity
  • More pirate friendly

My recommendation:
Unless you happen to work or study at an institution that makes Windows software mandatory and you have to use those apps for several hours every day, go use a Mac. Apple has a section of their website dedicated to explaining to a Windows user why they will love a Mac. On every page of that section, there is a prominent button on the top-right. You know what it says? Not “Buy a Mac”, but “Try a Mac”. Because Apple is confident enough in their product that they know you’ll realise it is superior once you have actually tried it out.

The problem with us Indians is that we are so strongly averse to change that we do not even give it that much of an opportunity, even though we have nothing to lose. The reason advocates of Windows discourage you from actually using a Mac is because they know that chances are that you will realise that all your hardware comparisons are downright petty once you see what Mac OS X is all about. But if you don’t, get a PC. If 90% of the world uses it, it must be doing something right.

And that’s my last contribution to this topic.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
@Arya bro i truly deeply and madly want to buy macBook and i will when i will go out in the market to buy a Laptop to just USE. Today i need a laptop to WORK ON!
Really? If you are saying this on the basis of your experiences with that OS, than marketing effect, then go for the Macbook. You can surely do all your work there. Choice of OS is hugely underrated while buying any computer, and the funny thing is that the OS is the thing with which you use all the time, and that extra performance actually doesn't matter as much as the ease usage of the OS.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
When you should get a Mac:

The problem with us Indians is that we are so strongly averse to change that we do not even give it that much of an opportunity, even though we have nothing to lose. The reason advocates of Windows discourage you from actually using a Mac is because they know that chances are that you will realise that all your hardware comparisons are downright petty once you see what Mac OS X is all about. But if you don’t, get a PC. If 90% of the world uses it, it must be doing something right.

And that’s my last contribution to this topic.

yawn at the long post. The thing about Indians is not that we don't like change. We think twice before buying a product, we pay only if the price tag is right and thank God, 99% of us never fall in RDF. And the thing about Windows users or PC users is that we respect hard earned money. We don't show-off, we don't blindly buy whatever Steve Jobs says "Magical" "world class" "award winning" etc etc. We are sensible enough to choose what exactly is necessary and what is not.

And please, there is no need to post such boring things about mac and Indians etc. We don't need a preaching from a mac addict.

PS: I respect OS X but it's the Apple Tax that has been the deal breaker.

Macbook Pro:

Intel Core i7
4-GB Memory
500GB hard drive1
SD card slot
Built-in 8- to 9-hour battery2
Intel HD Graphic
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB

Rs.1,29,900 *

This is a similar config that Dell Studio has but it costs more than double the price. Is it worth? why should one pay 70k just coz it has OS X and built my Apple?

Macbook Pro:
Intel Core i5
4-GB Memory
320GB hard drive1
SD card slot
Built-in 8- to 9-hour battery2
Intel HD Graphic
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB

Costs 1.1L. Same config is available for 35k-40k in normal laptops. Again, how do you justify paying 70k-75k just for OS X and Apple brand name?

And please don't talk about build quality. We don't keep laptops on a railway track every day neither do we keep them in microwave. And Dell's accident cover works lot better than Apple's warranty and it costs 800 bucks for the first year. Hence, there is nothing to worry. Not to forget the excellent build quality of Dell Studio laptops.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

LOL... now, ur reputation is seriously at stake.

Good if the OP wants to go for dell. i tried to help.

mac os doesn't require such a high end hardware. its as fast as any other laptops my friends have with i5/i7 laptops - the reason why i say mac os is lighter as compare to windows os.

may be u should find someone who uses macbook pro and get a "real feel" instead of those demo pieces in the stores and using it for few minutes not knowing what to click or what to do.

I am least bothered about my reputation. I suggest to fellow members what is useful and what makes most sense. I am least bothered if it's made by Dell or HP or Apple.

Again, you totally misunderstood the requirement. The OP is buying laptop to do AV editing, not to boot and keep staring at desktop and awe at CPU/RAM usage. When the hard work starts, it's not that OS at fault, it's the underlying hardware and even if OS X runs light, the amount of time taken for heavy rendering increases exponentially when old and stale hardware is used (like Core2Duo and low speed RAM and HDD). This is exactly why I am recommending Core i7 based Dell laptop.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Am asking this to all you MAC fanboys. Apple - MacBook Pro - Meet the new MacBook Pro family.
In this page Apple says "the fastest and most powerful macbook pros times three. They say that the new macbooks with core I5 and core i7 are upto 3 times faster. so, why are you guys saying that hardware specs is not important? why shouldn't the op go for a laptop that comes with powerful hardware that is available at the same price as least powerful macbooks?

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Am asking this to all you MAC fanboys. Apple - MacBook Pro - Meet the new MacBook Pro family.
In this page Apple says "the fastest and most powerful macbook pros times three. They say that the new macbooks with core I5 and core i7 are upto 3 times faster. so, why are you guys saying that hardware specs is not important? why shouldn't the op go for a laptop that comes with powerful hardware that is available at the same price as least powerful macbooks?

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
I do not really understand,why on earth some student in India want to spend about 65k on a mac,where he can do virtually everything he needs in a 35-40k machine.If show off is such a necessity why not drive a BMW or a Merc and use a Dell?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the OP really knows what he needs to get. He'll decide that for himself.

Choice of OS is hugely underrated while buying any computer, and the funny thing is that the OS is the thing with which you use all the time, and that extra performance actually doesn't matter as much as the ease usage of the OS.
Perhaps I fall in this category. I chose buying a Mac mini for 40k over an AMD config and my requirements were exactly similar to OP's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom