Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

ratul

█████████████████
hey the 15R turbo is not listed in the website anymore....they stopped it or sumthin?

yeah, they have stopped the production to welcome the new haswell based series, for which still no news exists... :|

Should I update Bios to A10 currently running A9

there's no harm in updating, though their aren't any major changes, just changed the Diagnostics a bit..

Yeah it's fantastic there is an image file specifically for it:-

Ubuntu on Dell Inspiron 7520 | Ubuntu

And for wubi install:-

wubi - Can I install 12.04 inside Windows? - Ask Ubuntu

I use Ubuntu on my 7520 myself and it's great!!

wow, it's good to hear that our 7520 is Ubuntu Certified.. :doublethumb:

xeon

Broken In
My chipset driver date is 10-5-2012. I downloaded the latest chipset driver from here Driver Details | Dell India and its driver date is 02-04-2013 and version is 9.3.0.1026. I installed it by using the setup and using update driver option. What is wrong?
*i.imgur.com/c5ZQWTg.png

And which one exactly is the chipset driver here

*i.imgur.com/Nhxn5ie.png
*i.imgur.com/hMj8O0t.png

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
My chipset driver date is 10-5-2012. I downloaded the latest chipset driver from here Driver Details | Dell India and its driver date is 02-04-2013 and version is 9.3.0.1026. I installed it by using the setup and using update driver option. What is wrong?

And which one exactly is the chipset driver here

try to re-install the drivers, if still no change then it should be like that only, not all chipsets are updated in a single driver update..

ratul

█████████████████
AMD 13.8beta drivers are available now: *www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.8_mobility_beta.exe

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Did anyone here bought DELL 14R SE or 14R TURBO? does it has backlit keyboard or did anyone here reviewed it?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Did anyone here bought DELL 14R SE or 14R TURBO? does it has backlit keyboard or did anyone here reviewed it?

I have a 15R SE\Turbo but the 14R and the 15R turbos are very similiar performance is amazing on both infact both their gpus are sorta equal (amd is better in some games nvidia is better for some other games etc)

The 14R doesnt have a backlit keyboard,has an nvidia gpu(15R has amd) and doesnt have a full hd screen

i took the i5 3210m version with backlit keyboard and 720p screen didnt make much of a difference for me to take the full hd and i7 my config never failed me even 8 months after i bought it:)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
btw guys what are ur temperatures on the 15R Turbo i5 720p 4gb ram and leshcat 13.1 drivers

mine seemed to scorch in the start but i installed leshcat drivers and speedfan and its stable now

guru_da_preet

Journeyman
hi guys, so my laptop was working fine for the past ten months but suddenly today the charger automatically disconnected...when i plug the charger in again it charges the laptop for like 2 seconds then disconnects, also when switched off and connected with the charger the battery led glows...which should mean that its charging the laptop when is off (right??)...

Also i have been using A09 bios for quite a while now not just a couple of day...any help

ratul

█████████████████
hi guys, so my laptop was working fine for the past ten months but suddenly today the charger automatically disconnected...when i plug the charger in again it charges the laptop for like 2 seconds then disconnects, also when switched off and connected with the charger the battery led glows...which should mean that its charging the laptop when is off (right??)...

Also i have been using A09 bios for quite a while now not just a couple of day...any help

looks like a problem with either the charger or the power jack in mobo, RMA for both, and the technician will replace the parts accordingly.. :razz:

btw guys what are ur temperatures on the 15R Turbo i5 720p 4gb ram and leshcat 13.1 drivers

mine seemed to scorch in the start but i installed leshcat drivers and speedfan and its stable now

not the i5 one, but i7, temps after 10mins. in NFSMW2012 with 13.8beta drivers:
*s22.postimg.org/yq8ryvgld/temps.jpg

btw guys, you all should definitely try 13.8beta, fixing the micro-stutter issues and frame-pacing, i can notice that now the games are running more fluidly and no crashes till now, so a stable driver release.. :)

ratul

█████████████████
Do both these items come under the Dell warranty

yes, everything in your lappy comes under the warranty, even my charger conked off few months ago due to bad current from my inverter, and dell sent both the mobo and charger for replacement, only the charger was replaced and the problem was solved.. :cool:

tnny9

Broken In
Hey guys,

Just got Inspiron 17r Turbo (FHD), It has got Windows 8 on it.

Can you guys please tell me how to install Windows 7 on it. I already have a Windows 7 dvd Enterprise Edition.

Thanks

ratul

█████████████████
Hey guys,

Just got Inspiron 17r Turbo (FHD), It has got Windows 8 on it.

Can you guys please tell me how to install Windows 7 on it. I already have a Windows 7 dvd Enterprise Edition.

Thanks

turn off the uefi first: To disable UEFI, press F2 during boot, using the arrow keys press the right arrow key until "boot" is selected. Press the down arrow key until "Boot List Option" is selected. Press Enter and select "Legacy". Optionally, arrow up to "Load Legacy Option Rom" and press enter, set to enabled.

then you need to convert your partitions to mbr if they are in gpt format: Convert GPT disk to MBR disk with free partition manager, Windows Disk Management and Diskpart command.

any idea when 4th Gen Intel Core processors will be available for Dell?

no.. :(
btw, your post count currently is 9999.. :p

tnny9

Broken In
turn off the uefi first: To disable UEFI, press F2 during boot, using the arrow keys press the right arrow key until "boot" is selected. Press the down arrow key until "Boot List Option" is selected. Press Enter and select "Legacy". Optionally, arrow up to "Load Legacy Option Rom" and press enter, set to enabled.

then you need to convert your partitions to mbr if they are in gpt format: Convert GPT disk to MBR disk with free partition manager, Windows Disk Management and Diskpart command.

Thanks for your reply,

Another question:
Can I install Windows 7 on 32 GB SSD, if yes, how? Will it be good?

I asked the same question in other forum also and got this in reply, can you please tell me what's best for me?
Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review - Page 244

Also I have Windows 7 with service pack 1.

Thanks & Regards

ratul

█████████████████
Thanks for your reply,

Another question:
Can I install Windows 7 on 32 GB SSD, if yes, how? Will it be good?

I asked the same question in other forum also and got this in reply, can you please tell me what's best for me?
Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review - Page 244

Also I have Windows 7 with service pack 1.

Thanks & Regards

i think that's good guide to install win7 on msata, system speed would be improved as well as boot times, as r/w speeds of msata > r/w speeds of HDD, but i wudn't recommend it, 32GB is just at brink for windows installation, it would just be OK for windows installation, rest of the application s/w would need a space in HDD only, as it's not a good practice to completely fill the msata (coz of it's data storage in cells)...
Rest is upto you..

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
looks like a problem with either the charger or the power jack in mobo, RMA for both, and the technician will replace the parts accordingly.. :razz:

not the i5 one, but i7, temps after 10mins. in NFSMW2012 with 13.8beta drivers:
*s22.postimg.org/yq8ryvgld/temps.jpg

btw guys, you all should definitely try 13.8beta, fixing the micro-stutter issues and frame-pacing, i can notice that now the games are running more fluidly and no crashes till now, so a stable driver release.. :)

thanks for ur reply could u post ur idle temps as well after use for around 10-15 mins also if possible :)

ratul

█████████████████
thanks for ur reply could u post ur idle temps as well after use for around 10-15 mins also if possible :)

uhmm, it's hard as my lappy is on mostly atleast 20hrs everyday :p, so after 10-15mins would be hard, but here are current temps: (Room Temp: 35-40c, powered on for 14hrs now):
*i.imgur.com/d6RyTQU.jpg

These are normal temps i am getting these days in summers, in dec-jan, idle temps used to be CPU:35 and HDD:30..

And here are temps after i left my lappy in front of ac for 15 mins (on purpose :p):
*i.imgur.com/tRadF6J.jpg