Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

sam142000

Journeyman
Hey guys, does your external HDD work in all four USB ports???
I noticed that when i connect my WD 1TB to right side usb ports, it gets automatically disconnected while writing data, though it works fine on left side usb ports.. (the problem might be that right side usb ports don't have enough power supply to drive the hdd..)

@admn_head, do post your experience as you too got the same hdd..
I too have the same HDD as yours and I just copied 4.5 in it using USB ports on the right. It didnt get disconnected but the write speed was very low as compared to USB ports on the left.

ratul

█████████████████
actually there are 4 usb one usb3 powershare(on which mine doesn't work n i think that my harddisk doesn't support it) n the other 3 usb3 ports if your hard disk is working on 2 then it should work on third as they all are of same type if it was your hard disk then it shouldn't work on all the three.

most prob they will replace the motherboard as usb ports are attached to it. :(

btw i have another prob after upgrading to win 8 my dvd drive is not opening from the button on it but it does open from my computer but when i connect the powercord it does open for few minutes and after that the same thing happens it dowesn't open again.

then when i remove the cord it does open for few minutes but then again..

then when i click on windows media player there is a slight vibration on the dvd drive part n then it works again for some time.

does anyone have such a issue.

n my quick launch key doesn't open the windows mobility center instead a a dialog box which we get on right clicking the start corner

now that's what i don't want, as the motherboard will be refurbished then, if the problem can be solved by replacing daughterboard, then i might think of replacing it..
the powershare one is on the left side, one near the HDMI port, HDD works fine there..
and for the dvd drive, call for replacement, my DVD drive has been replaced two times.. :p first one being in july when the button was too hard to press compared to other laptops, so i applied for an RMA, they sent refurbished one, which stopped reading CD's after a month, again replaced, from then working fine.. :p
for quick launch, have you installed dell quickset driver???

I think AMD will heat a lot compared to NVidia.
:facepalm:

Did you noticed any heat on the back side of the display lid? Can you please let me know whether all portions are cool.

there's nothing as AMD will heat more than nvidia, it all depends on which models you are comparing, they have to be exactly same performing models in order to establish a relation for who heats more, specify for which model of nvidia you are referring to??? :?

I too have the same HDD as yours and I just copied 4.5 in it using USB ports on the right. It didnt get disconnected but the write speed was very low as compared to USB ports on the left.

ok, so you are getting low speeds.. :(
wtf is wrong with right side ports??? :cry:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, I think Intel's USB 3.0 chipset drivers are buggy with many Ivy Bridge laptops.

The thing is, I have put my external HDD which has 3 partitions in a lot of laptops. Usually laptops don't detect read one partition for some reason. The one which has my movies. It says, "Access Denied." I find this weird. I've found this thing to exist only in Ivy Bridge laptops.

The partitions however work well in Linux on the same laptop. Not in Windows.

(Under Windows) All partitions get easily detected in my Sandy Bridge laptop which only has USB 2.0 ports and my friend's G6-2005AX which has AMD USB 3.0 Controller.

There's nothing wrong with your laptop's motherboard or anything. Install Ubuntu 12.10 and it will work fine. The problem is with Intel's USB 3.0 driver for Windows.

I think AMD will heat a lot compared to NVidia.
This is a forum where you need to mention the specifics. Don't make such generalisations here.

nandu26

In the zone
@ratul - As Ico suggested above, I also suggest you to download VMWare Player and install Ubuntu as a VM. Then try to transfer files from ubuntu. we have to see where is the real problem.

saaransh9

Journeyman
now that's what i don't want, as the motherboard will be refurbished then, if the problem can be solved by replacing daughterboard, then i might think of replacing it..
the powershare one is on the left side, one near the HDMI port, HDD works fine there..
and for the dvd drive, call for replacement, my DVD drive has been replaced two times.. :p first one being in july when the button was too hard to press compared to other laptops, so i applied for an RMA, they sent refurbished one, which stopped reading CD's after a month, again replaced, from then working fine.. :p
for quick launch, have you installed dell quickset driver???

there's nothing as AMD will heat more than nvidia, it all depends on which models you are comparing, they have to be exactly same performing models in order to establish a relation for who heats more, specify for which model of nvidia you are referring to??? :?

ok, so you are getting low speeds.. :(
wtf is wrong with right side ports??? :cry:
i think i will get my laptop replaced as i have got its motherboard replaced n now this its enough ...

santoshk87

Broken In
Pics of my laptop

DSC00913.jpgDSC00912.jpgDSC00911.jpgDSC00910.jpgDSC00909.jpgDSC00907.jpgDSC00906.jpgDSC00905.jpgDSC00903.jpgDSC00908.jpg

ratul

█████████████████
I haven't suggested to install Ubuntu in VM.

Just run it as a Live USB. :)

ok, so as you suggested, i ran ubuntu from usb (writing this from the same.. :p), and you were right, not only all four usb ports are working fine, they are giving ~10MBps transfer speed increase, i used to get 45-50MBps in windows, and i am getting 55-60MBps here, so laptop is fine... :razz::mrgreen:
Stupid usb3 drivers.. :evil::-(

Which usb port on the Dell Inspiron 15r turbo is the Usb 3.0 powershare ?

see my previous post bro, i said the one close to the HDMI port (will have a lightning bolt sort of sign on it)...
btw, gr8 pics bro..

i think i will get my laptop replaced as i have got its motherboard replaced n now this its enough ...

why you got it's mobo replaced??? :shock:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're getting it replaced only because of the USB ports problem with external HDD, then it is a driver issue. Not a motherboard issue. :)

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
can anyone please assist on getting student discount? what's the maximum discount one can get?

is it better to get the additional warranty now or renew it after first year. how much does it cost then?

ratul

█████████████████
can anyone please assist on getting student discount? what's the maximum discount one can get?

is it better to get the additional warranty now or renew it after first year. how much does it cost then?

i think 3% is the student discount by dell..
And it's better to get additional warranty now, as later, 1 yr. accidental cover would cost you ~9k..

saaransh9

Journeyman
ok, so as you suggested, i ran ubuntu from usb (writing this from the same.. :p), and you were right, not only all four usb ports are working fine, they are giving ~10MBps transfer speed increase, i used to get 45-50MBps in windows, and i am getting 55-60MBps here, so laptop is fine... :razz::mrgreen:
Stupid usb3 drivers.. :evil::-(

see my previous post bro, i said the one close to the HDMI port (will have a lightning bolt sort of sign on it)...
btw, gr8 pics bro..

why you got it's mobo replaced??? :shock:

one of my quick launch button wasn't working so they replaced my motherboard as it was a connector problem.

If you're getting it replaced only because of the USB ports problem with external HDD, then it is a driver issue. Not a motherboard issue. :)

if my dvd drive(problem mentioned before) will be replaced then i will get the whole piece replaced as its enough of refurbished parts now

ratul

█████████████████
one of my quick launch button wasn't working so they replaced my motherboard as it was a connector problem.

if my dvd drive(problem mentioned before) will be replaced then i will get the whole piece replaced as its enough of refurbished parts now

ok, just one button lead to a refurbished mobo, that's weird... :-?
they could have replaced the body of the laptop first to see if it works (the upper body, with which button is attached.)

dayslleepper

Broken In
Hey guys atlast I am on my dell lappy...

I am going to format everything and want to partionized too.. so choosing easeus partitioner.. So u guys have any tips and all... ?

How much should i have to kept in C drive...?

Top Bottom