Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

dheemanth10

Broken In
I completely understand.
Create a new thread and also fill the questionnaire.

i totally agree about the weight ..it is kinda heavy for 15 inch laptop .....even i was considering sony but 80k was a deal breaker ..so if u can deal with the weight then dell else sony ....and i usually use laptop directly on mains without battery whenever i'm home so increases battery life :p may be by a little

nandu26

In the zone
My dell 1545 battery recently became dead without any warning after 2 years of usage. I have an old HP laptop and the battery still runs good.

ratul

█████████████████
hehe....thanx for the info. I dont know why I'm worried these days thinking that something is wrong with my GPU.
Also, if someone has good knowledge about HDDs. WesternDigital or Toshiba, which has a better performance? I'm guessing WD.

of course WD if ~1TB...
as far as i have heard, best HDD's upto 1TB are WD's, but failure rate increases after that, seagate is considered better in 2TB range due to less failure than WD in 2TB drives...
but i'll go with WD coz of it's good ASS..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry, every HDD dies some day or the other. Everyone has faced issues with either WD or Seagate. 50-50 probability. Buy whichever is cheaper. I don't differentiate.

sugs77

Broken In
To the DELL 15R turbo laptop owners,

1.Can you please comment on the windows boot & application(s) start-up time difference between an i5 8GB system and a i7 8 GB system. Is it too much or something that can be ignored? I'll decide between an i5 & i7 based on your responses.

2. Can we install an SSD ourselves, in addition to the 1TB HDD, since mSATA option is discontinued in India? They might have discontinued , but do they still provide the slot for it?

3. How about the 3 year complete cover along with accidental damage protection? Is it good to go for it or shall I stick to 1 or 2 years. Will they fix/replace crashed HDD/ malfunctioning Motherboard /display problems under this scheme or they will charge additionally in addition to the warranty? Its important to know for me before we opt for the 3 year warranty.

Please let me know.

Last edited:

sam142000

Journeyman
To the DELL 15R turbo laptop owners,

1.Can you please comment on the windows boot & application(s) start-up time difference between an i5 8GB system and a i7 8 GB system. Is it too much or something that can be ignored? I'll decide between an i5 & i7 based on your responses.

2. Can we install an SSD ourselves, in addition to the 1TB HDD, since mSATA option is discontinued in India? They might have discontinued , but do they still provide the slot for it?

3. How about the 3 year complete cover along with accidental damage protection? Is it good to go for it or shall I stick to 1 or 2 years. Will they fix/replace crashed HDD/ malfunctioning Motherboard /display problems under this scheme or they will charge additionally in addition to the warranty? Its important to know for me before we opt for the 3 year warranty.

Please let me know.

1. I dont think there's any app start up time difference between i5 and i7 except for maybe Photoshop and apps like it.

2. There's no seperate SSD slot in 15R, but you can always remove the DVD Drive and use caddy.

3. I have purchased the 3 year package. Yes, they would replace any part that is faulty free of charge, but mind it, the part will be a refurbished one.

ratul

█████████████████
Hey guys, does your external HDD work in all four USB ports???
I noticed that when i connect my WD 1TB to right side usb ports, it gets automatically disconnected while writing data, though it works fine on left side usb ports.. (the problem might be that right side usb ports don't have enough power supply to drive the hdd..)

@admn_head, do post your experience as you too got the same hdd..

guru_da_preet

Journeyman
Hi guys,

When i right click in any folder of "my computer" windows explorer keeps hanging and i have to close it using task manager..any thoughts?

santoshk87

Broken In
I got my inspiron turbo laptop recently. And i ran cod-black ops on it. The laptop heated a lot. and after 1 hour, I had to exit from the game coz of tension. I heard guys saying here dat dis is one of the coolest laptops. Den y dis happened ? I had kept the laptop on hard binded book which was kept on the bed.

1. Plz give me the link to the software which can run on Windows 8 to keep a note of the temperatures.
2. Plz tell me if i shud chk for something since I got this laptop yesterday.
3. Do I need a screen protector for FHD Anti-glare screen ?
4. Should I buy cooling pad. If yes, which one is the best for 15.6" screen (plz give the flipkart link or something)? Also, will the cooling pad work if I place the cooling pad on hard binded big book kept on the bed and then keep the laptop over the cooling pad ?

Last edited:

saaransh9

Journeyman
I got my inspiron turbo laptop recently. And i ran cod-black ops on it. The laptop heated a lot. and after 1 hour, I had to exit from the game coz of tension. I heard guys saying here dat dis is one of the coolest laptops. Den y dis happened ? I had kept the laptop on hard binded book which was kept on the bed.

1. Plz give me the link to the software which can run on Windows 8 to keep a note of the temperatures.
4. Should I buy cooling pad. If yes, which one is the best for 15.6" screen (plz give the flipkart link or something)? Also, will the cooling pad work if I place the cooling pad on hard binded big book kept on the bed and then keep the laptop over the cooling pad ?

it must be running on hd4000 thats why it became too hot right click on desktop -->switchable graphics -->search the game n n change the graphic properties to high performance

guru1323

Right off the assembly line
I want to buy a dell laptop in 45-50k price range. I am confused between two choices 15R turbo (i5,2 GB AMD graphics card, 50.5K) and 15R (i7, 1GB AMD graphics card, 47.5K). I am not much into gaming but i am planning to use it 24*7 for downloading and watch bluray movies and some multitasking. Which would be the better choice?. Also comment about battery backup of both. Why is 15R turbo expensive although it has i5 compared to i7 in 15R?

Gtb93

In the zone
I want to buy a dell laptop in 45-50k price range. I am confused between two choices 15R turbo (i5,2 GB AMD graphics card, 50.5K) and 15R (i7, 1GB AMD graphics card, 47.5K). I am not much into gaming but i am planning to use it 24*7 for downloading and watch bluray movies and some multitasking. Which would be the better choice?. Also comment about battery backup of both. Why is 15R turbo expensive although it has i5 compared to i7 in 15R?
the 15r TURBO has 7730M graphics card in it, which is more powerful and better than the 7670M in 15R.
IF you really don't game much, go for the 15R itself. 7670M can handle games fairly well too.

ratul

█████████████████

If you are talking about hot air coming from vent, then that's not heating, that's just the fan throwing out the air inside to keep it cool, the more hot air coming out, the more beneficial it is for the internal parts, main thing is the temps on the inside..

1. To check temps, you can either use BatteryCare or HWMonitor.
2. Yes, all the bloatwares that DELL would have shipped, uninstall what you don't want, and update the GPU drivers for both intel and AMD.
3. No way, but you are too scared for getting it scratched, you can apply a screen protector.
4. I don't feel the necessity for a cooling pad for this laptop, but you can look for CoolerMaster Notepal X2 or CoolerMaster Infinte Evo(said to be the best).
I think infinite evo would fit this laptop perfectly seeing it's vent positions, but let other members comment on it too..

Hi!!

Can you guys suggest a good cooling pad for my 17R S.E. ???? Thanks in advance :D

Cooler Master Infinite EVO...

I have done a full virus scan with kaspersky it is coming up clean....any other suggestions??

well, kaspersky is the best in the industry, but do a scan with MalwareBytes Anti Malware too, if that too comes out clean, take a look at the hidden items in the drives or folder, look for any suspicious autorun file or a random named exe (in the recycler folder), and run "sfc /scannow" in cmd..
Also check for any suspicious logs in the event viewer...

I noticed that when i connect my WD 1TB to right side usb ports, it gets automatically disconnected while writing data, though it works fine on left side usb ports.. (the problem might be that right side usb ports don't have enough power supply to drive the hdd..)

Anyone???? :bump:

saaransh9

Journeyman

no its working fine for me in 3 the 2 on left where the dvd drive is located is working fine but on the right the first usb just adjacent to the hdmi port doesn't read it the hdd switches on but it doesn't get read

tested on a Seagate 500gb hard disk

ratul

█████████████████
no its working fine for me in 3 the 2 on left where the dvd drive is located is working fine but on the right the first usb just adjacent to the hdmi port doesn't read it the hdd switches on but it doesn't get read

tested on a Seagate 500gb hard disk

should i get it checked by dell or does different hdd's functions differently..
As other devices works fine in right side USB ports, just hdd frequently unmounts & remounts while writing, i am sure that this will provide an opportunity to dell to say "Sir, if any other device works fine, then it's not the laptop's fault..". :(

saaransh9

Journeyman
should i get it checked by dell or does different hdd's functions differently..
As other devices works fine in right side USB ports, just hdd frequently unmounts & remounts while writing, i am sure that this will provide an opportunity to dell to say "Sir, if any other device works fine, then it's not the laptop's fault..". :(

actually there are 4 usb one usb3 powershare(on which mine doesn't work n i think that my harddisk doesn't support it) n the other 3 usb3 ports if your hard disk is working on 2 then it should work on third as they all are of same type if it was your hard disk then it shouldn't work on all the three.

most prob they will replace the motherboard as usb ports are attached to it.

btw i have another prob after upgrading to win 8 my dvd drive is not opening from the button on it but it does open from my computer but when i connect the powercord it does open for few minutes and after that the same thing happens it dowesn't open again.

then when i remove the cord it does open for few minutes but then again..

then when i click on windows media player there is a slight vibration on the dvd drive part n then it works again for some time.

does anyone have such a issue.

n my quick launch key doesn't open the windows mobility center instead a a dialog box which we get on right clicking the start corner

Top Bottom