Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

ratul

█████████████████
I had tried to order via Games Ink & call CC, they are telling they cannot ship to my place.. and atlast theitdepot guys called me back and tell me tht stock is available & u can order now... I just ordered now..:wink:

gr8, :wink: :doublethumb:.

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
if u can spend 80k+ for 15 inch laptop then sony if fine ..but u get a similar spec laptop for less than 65k from dell

I was actually looking at the i5 version of Sony Vaio S. It costs around 67k. I know that we can get a Dell i7 at that price. But the Sony is lighter and well designed compared to Dell.

Last edited:

santoshk87

Broken In
Saw this offer on flipkart:
Dell New Inspiron 17R SE Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com

good deal for those who want 2 gb gt 650m card wid 17" 1600X900 screen...

I wanted to know which will perform better:
i7 with 2gb amd radeon hd 7730m card or i5 with nvidia gt650m ??

ratul

█████████████████
Can someone do me a favor here?
Someone please do a crystal diskmark test on thier hdd and post their results!!

well, here are the results, but i don't think they are relieable, as crystaldiskmark is best performed on a freshly formatted HDD, rather than a HDD cluttered with data.. :p
*i.imgur.com/OZA86.jpg

Saw this offer on flipkart:
Dell New Inspiron 17R SE Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com

good deal for those who want 2 gb gt 650m card wid 17" 1600X900 screen...

I wanted to know which will perform better:
i7 with 2gb amd radeon hd 7730m card or i5 with nvidia gt650m ??

it all depends on what do you mean by "perform better"..
in gaming: i5 with 650m..
in other tasks (photoshop, virtual machines): i7 with 7730m..

saaransh9

Journeyman
anyone tried beta 11 drivers

anyone on windows 8 got Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - AMD Radeon HD 7730M

Download size: 106.7 MB
update

whenever i install them my hd4000 n amd drivers are uninstalled n both of them stops working n when i install beta 8 again the update i again there to be installed n both hd4000 n 7730 r turned off due to conflicting drivers

sam142000

Journeyman
If anyone here has run FurMark on their machine plz reply. Do you get these type of stats in GPU-Z while the furmark is running.
Like no changes in GPU clock, memory, shader....anything!! Even the BIOS version is also messed up.
*i.imgur.com/2qiJc.jpg?1

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone here has run FurMark on their machine plz reply. Do you get these type of stats in GPU-Z while the furmark is running.
Like no changes in GPU clock, memory, shader....anything!! Even the BIOS version is also messed up.
I'm warning you in advance about Furmark. This thing is known to kill GPUs. DO NOT USE IT.

Just run Unigine Heaven or 3D Mark if you want to test overclock stability.

And you don't have any problem with your GPU or anytihng. It's just that GPU-Z is not detecting the clocks properly. Perhaps a bug in GPU-Z itself.

sam142000

Journeyman
If you too have the
I'm warning you in advance about Furmark. This thing is known to kill GPUs. DO NOT USE IT.

Just run Unigine Heaven or 3D Mark if you want to test overclock stability.

And you don't have any problem with your GPU or anytihng. It's just that GPU-Z is not detecting the clocks properly. Perhaps a bug in GPU-Z itself.

If you too have 15R SE could run GPU z and confirm the bug??

ratul

█████████████████
anyone tried beta 11 drivers

anyone on windows 8 got Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - AMD Radeon HD 7730M

Download size: 106.7 MB
update

whenever i install them my hd4000 n amd drivers are uninstalled n both of them stops working n when i install beta 8 again the update i again there to be installed n both hd4000 n 7730 r turned off due to conflicting drivers

i am using beta11 since they were launched (3rd dec) and not having any problems, and don't update using the windows update, i turned off the notifications about it, as windows update might give you the update for the latest stable driver (12.10) rather than beta drivers, as beta are not final drivers..
So if you have 12.11beta installed and run windows update, it's gonna screw up..
I am not having any problems with beta11 drivers, they are stable for me and not conflicting..

*i.imgur.com/2qiJc.jpg?1

haha, that's a very old bug in GPU-Z, i am testing it since july and it never showed me any clocks there, heck before 0.6.5, clocks shown used to be negative, atleast after they fixed it.. :p
Use HWInfo64, that's the only one i found to show some correct info about the GPU...
and ico is right, don't use furmark, i always use 3DMark 11 or any heavy game to test the stability...

sam142000

Journeyman
haha, that's a very old bug in GPU-Z, i am testing it since july and it never showed me any clocks there, heck before 0.6.5, clocks shown used to be negative, atleast after they fixed it.. :p
Use HWInfo64, that's the only one i found to show some correct info about the GPU...
and ico is right, don't use furmark, i always use 3DMark 11 or any heavy game to test the stability...

hehe....thanx for the info. I dont know why I'm worried these days thinking that something is wrong with my GPU.
Also, if someone has good knowledge about HDDs. WesternDigital or Toshiba, which has a better performance? I'm guessing WD.

sugs77

Broken In
I was actually looking at the i5 version of Sony Vaio S. It costs around 67k. I know that we can get a Dell i7 at that price. But the Sony is lighter and well designed compared to Dell.

I was also considering the Sony as its almost 800g lighter than the Dell (magnesium alloy construction). I guess Sony is charging more because of that. I took both the laptop in each hands & the Sony feels way better (its much lighter & much nicer & sharper looking). Also apart from price, Dell only had the advantage when it was offering mSATA in India. I don't know why they stopped it. But I'm not sure about the Sony Vaio After Sales in India.Can someone in this forum enlighten us with that?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
I was also considering the Sony as its almost 800g lighter than the Dell (magnesium alloy construction). I guess Sony is charging more because of that. I took both the laptop in each hands & the Sony feels way better (its much lighter & much nicer & sharper looking). Also apart from price, Dell only had the advantage when it was offering mSATA in India. I don't know why they stopped it. But I'm not sure about the Sony Vaio After Sales in India.Can someone in this forum enlighten us with that?

Are you still considering the Sony, or have you gone for the Dell?

Dell has the best ASS in India, no questions asked.
However Sony Ass is still okay and can be dealt with.

sugs77

Broken In
Are you still considering the Sony, or have you gone for the Dell?

Dell has the best ASS in India, no questions asked.
However Sony Ass is still okay and can be dealt with.

Not yet...Will buy soon......Pondering between the Turbo & the Sony.....Difficult decision for me :).. Its a fight between better ASS & better look & feel....... I'm sure all the owners of Turbo will agree that it might be a strong performing & reliable laptop but when it comes to looks & weight, Sony S 15 blows the Dell out of water....

The main negatives of Dell Turbo are:-

1. Poor Battery (can happily assume that battery wont last for more than 1/1.5 years (stats show thatDell/HP provide one of the worst batteries in the industry & they are not gonna change that practice deliberately)

2. Fat & Bulky(heavy) Design (2.8 kg for a 15 incher is pretty heavy)

3. Discontinuation of the mSATA SSD in all the Indian models (deal breaker as SSD drastically improves boot/startup times).

Except the 3rd , Sony scores on the above 2 points....

The negatives of Sony being:-

1. ASS might not be good as DELL

2. More expensive for same config (but you get a better looking & much lighter system....nothing comes free)

Last edited:

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Not yet...Will buy soon......Pondering between the Turbo & the Sony.....Difficult decision for me :).. Its a fight between better ASS & better look & feel....... I'm sure all the owners of Turbo will agree that it might be a strong performing & reliable laptop but when it comes to looks & weight, Sony S 15 blows the Dell out of water....

Sony is as reliable as the Dell - no doubt there.
If your only concern now is about the ASS. Don't worry it's decent enough. They offer 1 year free onsite warranty as well.
Please check the number of Sony service centers in your city. If there are many- which I am sure there will be. There is no reason to worry.

But you can't compare it to Dell.

I think you should create a separate thread- that way you will get many more suggestions.
It will definitely help you take a decision. And talking about Sony on a Dell thread is not good I guess. I will stop now guys.

sugs77

Broken In
Sony is as reliable as the Dell - no doubt there.
If your only concern now is about the ASS. Don't worry it's decent enough. They offer 1 year free onsite warranty as well.
Please check the number of Sony service centers in your city. If there are many- which I am sure there will be. There is no reason to worry.

But you can't compare it to Dell.

I think you should create a separate thread- that way you will get many more suggestions.
It will definitely help you take a decision. And talking about Sony on a Dell thread is not good I guess. I will stop now guys.

Thanks Abhishek... I dont want to discuss Sony in a DELL Thread. Just as few were having confusion between the Samsung & the Dell Turbo..So am I between the Sony & the DELL. Sony scores on DELL on certain factors as mentioned above(edited the previous post) & vice versa.....so kind of confused

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Thanks Abhishek... I dont want to discuss Sony in a DELL Thread. Just as few were having confusion between the Samsung & the Dell Turbo..So am I between the Sony & the DELL. Sony scores on DELL on certain factors as mentioned above(edited the previous post) & vice versa.....so kind of confused

I completely understand.
Create a new thread and also fill the questionnaire.

Top Bottom