Delete windows Vista Folders ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

indian_samosa

No longer here..
Hi,
I had a dualboot vista + xp (xp on C and vista on D) configuration.One day Xp got infected so I formatted the C drive and reinstalled Xp in it.Which means the Vista Bootloader is gone and I can logon to Xp only.Thats fine with me..

But the problem now is I am running out of Hard disk real estate and want the Vista Windows folder to be gone.(approx 10GB) but I cant delete it.Its says access protected or something..

Guys .... how to delete the folder ??

TIA..:)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
You'll have to take Ownership of the folder before deleting it. Right-click on it and select Properties and then you can take the ownership from "Security" tab. If Security tab is not visible, then disable "Simple File Sharing" option in "Tools -> Folder Options".

PS: If D; drive doesnt contain anything important, then you can format it to regain the space.

OP
I

indian_samosa

No longer here..
Vishal Gupta ... you are great man ...:)
Thanks a lot ... Job Done ...
Didnt wanted to format the drive coz lotsa stuff on it yet to be backed up ...

another way to do this is to use the Parted Magic live CD/USB, which is widely available on the net.

You can just delete sda2, which will be the vista partition(as XP is the first and Vista the second partition)

Then reformat it as FAT32 or NTFS using either Windows XP's own inbuilt tool or via the same Parted Magic CD/USB

OP
I

indian_samosa

No longer here..
^ thanks for the suggestion :)... but in my case I had to specifically delete the "windows" folder which vista makes to hold its files... coz I have other files and folders in that partition so reformatting was out of question.

^ thanks for the suggestion :)... but in my case I had to specifically delete the "windows" folder which vista makes to hold its files... coz I have other files and folders in that partition so reformatting was out of question.
Parted Magic also has a simple file browser. So deleting is also possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom