Debate branded vs assembled PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

¦Rage--oצ

Broken In
well always assembled pc's wud be better... coz u can choose wat u want... and also smtimes at a cheaper cost!! coz we can bargainon on it and cant bargain on branded!!
so ASSEMBLED PC'S RULEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
He's been doing this to a couple of threads here. Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus... Never tickle a sleeping dragon...

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Both suck.
I recommend custom built PCs.
i thought assembled pc = custom built PC.

now, dell pc costs almost same as what a assembled pc of same config will cost. + you get high quality cabinet, monitor, keyboards...

quality here = compare a zebronics cabinet with any of the branded pc's cabby.:p

i thought assembled pc = custom built PC.

now, dell pc costs almost same as what a assembled pc of same config will cost. + you get high quality cabinet, monitor, keyboards...

quality here = compare a zebronics cabinet with any of the branded pc's cabby.:p
Assembled PC is a PC which is built by the local PC vendor. Very less choice there.

Custom Built PC is one you build YOURSELF, choosing every single component wisely and ending up with a much better experience.

You must be delusioned about Dell. Their PCs cost the same(sometimes more), but quality is hardly the same. They ship intel motherboards, so no overclocking. Dell monitors are ALSO used in custom pcs. Keyboard and Mouse are standard. Besides, Logitech and Microsoft are the ones who manufacture the best budget keyboards. Dell cabinet have the lone advantage of being of a small form factor. And Zeberonics Bijli is much better than dell cabby.

Infact, the only times Branded PCs make more sense is for medium size offices. And if you want to buy something unique, like the new Zenith PC which comes with every part attached to the back of the monitor.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
This is an extremely long arguement which me & my cousin usually get into.He is all for branded PC's no matter how high they cost as his saying is that "You buy it & forget about repair stuff as they directly get replaced without you leaving your house"

Let me tell you he has had a Compaq Presario for over 7 years now.Has replaced everything practically right from his motherboard,his ram,his PSU,his DVD rom(which was manully killed by us :D),his processor,his cordless mouse 2 times & his speakers.He had been very loyal to this company by always renewing their AMC contracts for 6k each year & has caused more damage to the company in this time then the actual amount paid for AMC.;)

The point is when it comes to branded PC's the cost is on the higer side is A.)Because of the brand premium & B.)Because the service & instant support they provide.You place one call & the technician comes home & checks everything & if it's not repairable they instantly repalce it if the part is in stock without questions.My cousin had got a ATI 9600 card in place of his Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400 which went kaput & company didn't have it in stock.

This is something they benefit in.Assembled has this privilages but you'll manually need to move your butt off to the service centre & get it RMA'd.Except for some generous companies like Western Digital which provides home pick & home drop for RMA products & may be some others.Plus each part have different warranty in assembled products & hence this mounts to a lot of confusion.I'm screwed if my RAM goes dead after 1 year & is out of warranty & I have no choice but to buy a new one.In assembled it depends on AMC payment & no matter what part you blow off it gets replaced regardless of it's manufacturer's warranty terms.

But overall I would still prefer custom built rig as it's more cost effective,more customisation,very flexible,high end parts are easily available etc.One of the major reason what plagues the branded market is the customisation of high end products.I'm not sure if they even know if graphic cards like 9800GX2 & stuff like that exist leave along stocking it.Even if they do they would charge probably double the market price.Let's face it,Alienware is not everyone's cup of tea.You can probably get good custom built rigs for better prices than it.Plenty more reasons I can think off but will post later since the office has jacked my brain for now.keep going guys we need more feedback on this one & most importantly personal experiences.:)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Assembled PC is a PC which is built by the local PC vendor. Very less choice there.
:|

then call it local pc:p

assembled = custom built,
you choose parts -> you bargain-> get them assembled.

eg.- my pc = assembled
i bought intel m/b, ram, cabinet & c2d & then assembled it myself. (good timepass:)))
[using HP monitor, keyboard, mouse]

b4 this pc, i had HP Pavilion desktop.
the quality of paintjob, plastic , & most importantly fit & finish (of cabby) is 100% better than "zebronics antibiotic" (which i have now).
i never had any h/w problem with my HP.

i'd suggest you to FIRST use a branded pc (ur frnd's...) & then comment.

i mentioned dell, as its cheaper than HP & configurable. quality is same.

when it comes to customer care, there's no competition to HP & DELL, obviously.
when i had trouble creating partition, i jus called HP, they took the complaint/request, same evening a call came from HP & the guy at other end guided me thru the whole process of partitioning the HDD (30+ mins).
same, once printer stopped working (hp), i gave them a call, same noon a guy came & troubleshooted, some driver corruption (virus:))), yeah i was a newbie back then :|:p).

parts (hdd/ram/modem...) quality of HP/branded-
the parts that came with HP, are still in use in my new pc.
eg- dial up modem, Hitachi 80GB HDD (cant find 'em in market:() [still no errors], DVD writer.

your local vendor might give you a used goods (hdd, ram...) as replacement saying its brand new. he can never help you is OS ...Windows malfunctions, so forget if something goes wrong wen using linux.:p
always, his soln. = format the hdd.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
[xubz];619606 said:
If somebody without any computer knowledge wants to buy a PC, I blindly recommend DELL. Their sub-35k desktop computers are have real VFM.

I Personally build my own PC, So I'd don't call it 'assembled' its more like 'custom built'.

Totally True . Dell is currently the best PC manufacturer right now . I love my XPS 1330 :D

amitash

Intel OCer
cusom built PCs all the way...if u know how to assemble a computer from scratch then do it...u get warranty on all individual component so service is quite good....Go for branded only if u have no real idea of how to put together a computer and troubleshoot it.I mean i can name a few classmates who are liable to put thermal compund on the wrong end of the pc if u know wat i mean :D

and who said you don't get home warranty for Custom Built PCs ?
Many vendors have contract service available with them.
Thats for in house warranty.
All parts have atleast 3 years of warranty.

As for the repair, Custom Built PCs DEMAND for brains to build.
So you wouldn't ever need a repair. The parts are always standard.
You get to choose every single component that goes into your PC.

The main thing is that the branded pc motherboards suck.
100% no overclock.

I recommend Dell if you ever decide to go for Branded PCs though.
Their warranty and service is good.
Again, branded PCs only for those clueless about computers.
And branded other than sub 25k range makes NO SENSE since they are rip offs.

shantanu

Technomancer
metalheaded : your theory is wrong... custom built = assembled
assembed = custom built.. :D

and thats called onsite warranty... :p

and ... any part can go kaput anytime.. you cannot gurantee a mechanical/computerized part :)

Last edited:
metalheaded : your theory is wrong... custom built = assembled
assembed = custom built.. :D

and thats called onsite warranty... :p

and ... any part can go kaput anytime.. you cannot gurantee a mechanical/computerized part :)
I used the word to draw a clear line between the "assembled" computers first time no idea what it is type buyers buy and the computers tech aware people build.

For the former, Branded Rocks, and for the later, Self Help is the best help.

I know thats called onsite warranty. Just don't get the words out at the right time.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
my 1st pc was a Compaq SR1130IL.used it 4 bout a year.after that never went 4 branded.now i just buy the best parts that i can afford to buy and assemble them my self.also i get a lot of freebies from my vendor like thermal pastes,xtra cabby fans,cans of compressed air etc.

when i managed to kill some component its generally replaced within 2weeks.also i get a standby to use while my orginal product is repair/replaced.

i thin k if u know ur hardware well then its better to buy assembled/custom built pcs.u get the best that ur money can buy and u can divide how much u wanna spend over a particular component (like procy,mobo,gfx card).this gives a lot of flexibilty in deciding wat u wanna use ur pc 4 and getting parts reqd to build acc to ur needs.

also branded pcs will never cost the same as assembled ones once u cross the 35k bracket.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
noobs = branded. thats why we brand them as noobs.
techies = assembled. they assemble more knowledge.
noobs with techie friends = assembled which wont be used properly to the full efficiency. half knowledge is always dangerous.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
:|

=>branded = no hassles [not talkin of zenith/hcl:|]. u get everything in one package
=>assembled = if something goes wrong, you're on your own or ask help at maybe digit:p,

if something goes kaput when you're not around & only soln. = to re-install OS/recover..., can your parents do it ?:p
if on branded, jus run the std. recovery (runs frm hdd), too easy:D (or they can cal cc & they'l guide), when OS gets installed, its ready for use, no need to install drivers for gfx., lan....... dont say make a disk wit nlite.

i hate bargaining, no such prblm. with branded pc's.

& for a high quality cabinet, you have to shell out min. rs.4k (coolermaster, basic model).
dont bring local zebronics...

=>assembled is good ONLY when you have best parts. coz h/w incompatibilty is major prblm.

=>assembling = best = when building gaming system or high end work station. as you save a lot. + "overclocking". or building ultra cheap pc:p

do every other user (assembled pc) overclock his pc??? i dont think so.

bottom line.
Branded pc = Opera
Assembled = Firefox
:))

i've used both types (pc),

=>branded-
i liked branded one coz of quality, no hassle working & cc.
i hate it for very limited option for h/w add-on (my pc was '04-'05 model, no pci-e slot:x)

so, this is why i recommend DELL over othrs.

=>assembled-
love it coz i configd & assembled one:D, which works great.
hate it for separate driver installations (gfx., lan...), every time os's installed:| & to get something replaced, i've to travel ~100Kms :| to b'lore, as the c2d proc. & zeb. cabby was bought thr.

but, wen assembling, one has to buy best matched parts, otherwise the h/w incompatibilty crap might come up.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Assembled ftw
cuz now every part has warranty
you get the thing at reasonable price
you don't compromise on a balance of feature and performance
Higher upgradability
You are not bound to any silly EULA
No dumb customer care, they always start out with same set of questions, must be replaced by expert systems
You can have modding and all customization to make your PC look the way u want
Overclocking if ur dying to squeeze out, but not necessary

Though you need to be a good techie to own a pawnage assembled PC :D

narangz

Web developer
Assembled. FTW :) You get what you want. Everything comes with warranty now a days.

If you are a total newbie go for branded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom