DDR2 RAM on old mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabster

In the zone
hiya all,
I want to buy a new RAM module, can I use DDR2 RAM in normal motherboard(Gigabyte K8 for AMD64) as may be in future I wud like to upgrade to newer hardware. are the sockets same...?

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
No.. Firstly, DDR2 modules are bigger and won't fit in your DDR slots. Secondly, their frequencies are incompatible.

So, although you can buy DDR2 RAM modules, you cannot use them with a mobo based on socket 939( K8 ).

Last edited:

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
I don't know exactly... but now-a-days, DDR2 and DDR modules are somewhat similarly priced... With DDR2 being marginally costlier...

I suppose that 512x2 DDR2 533 will set you back by around 3.5 k ... I miht be wrong.. but the actual pricing should be more or less the same..

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
kaustav_geek said:
Oops.. I'm sorry about giving the wrong info..
Wow, RAM is damn cheap these days..

Yeah, Dirt Cheap. Vista being a Memory hogger, the RAM supplies have increased with 2GB Ram becoming a standard.

You should see international prices ---- too tempting :D

praka123

left this forum longback
thx to all.
sorry for asking in this thread:
I've got a 256MB DDR-I simmtronics RAM stops working.I inspected it and found stickers of simmtronics-lifetime warrenty.can i get a replacement?where do i need to give this,if *YES*

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Lifetime warranty mostly doesnt mean, our lifetime....it means they will replace as long as that RAM product is in production :p

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
Yeah That's right DDR2 is much cheaper that's why I wanted to know whether it can be used in DDR slots but it can't be used as DDR2 has bigger slot modules, here it costs Rs1050 for 512 module. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom