dataone connect to friend ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
i have bsnl bband & my friend has it to...

is there any way that i can connect my computer directly to his and share files without having to connect to our internet.....
something like i dial straight into his pc & we r able to send or recieve files.....

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
No Way! U need internet connectivity for the same. In case you are connected over LAN, then you can do that; not otherwise.

Otherwise you can take your HDD to his/her place and transfer the stuff you need :D

geekysage

Journeyman
@dr.grudge: sorry, that's not true!

@tweety_bird_bunny: I don't quite get your problem. Why have you mentioned BSNL broadband when you wanna dial in directly to your friend?

Anyway, there are many utils available out there which will let you transfer files using dial-up connection. I used to share files with my friends using the windows inbuilt hyperterminal back in 1998-2000 when internet was too costly to be used liberally. You can start hyperterminal by browsing to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Hyperterminal. But it's a very basic program and i guess, there must be hundreds of muchos better programs available now. Search on google and you shall find some.

Hyperterminal works on a simple principle. You dial a number which is also connected to a computer with hyperterminal open, the other person accepts your call and then you can exchange files in a similar fashion.

Let me know what program you finally choose and how it works out.

Good Luck. :wink:

Charley

Just Do It
geekysage said:
Anyway, there are many utils available out there which will let you transfer files using dial-up connection. I used to share files with my friends using the windows inbuilt hyperterminal back in 1998-2000 when internet was too costly to be used liberally. You can start hyperterminal by browsing to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Hyperterminal. But it's a very basic program and i guess, there must be hundreds of muchos better programs available now. Search on google and you shall find some.

Hyperterminal works on a simple principle. You dial a number which is also connected to a computer with hyperterminal open, the other person accepts your call and then you can exchange files in a similar fashion.

Let me know what program you finally choose and how it works out.

Good Luck. :wink:

Dude, hes talking abt broadband connection. U cant put in any number and do the hyperterminal thing. It's only possible in a dial up.

geekysage

Journeyman
something like i dial straight into his pc & we r able to send or recieve files.....

He said that he wants to connect to his friend's pc by dialling-in. How's a broadband internet connection coming into play? :shock:

And yes, hyperterminal works via dial-up connection as i have already mentioned.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
The OP says that he has bb. He wants something like dialling in, which here would be the lan that they are put into to share the internet bandwidth.
If this is the setup, then u can test to see if u can see your lan mates offline. If u can't then u can't.

OP
tweety_bird_bunny

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
yep dudes i have bband..... cant i connect through some software to his pc.... he also has band....
we both have lan cards... if we cant connect that way, how can our lan cards come into play??

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Tho u have the same bb from the same isp, u need to be part of the same lan to connect directly to each other.
To see if this is so, ask ur friend's lan ip and try doing a "net send <his lan ip> "message""
If ur friend can see the "message" (provided u both have windows), then u can connect to him directly. Else, no go.

Most of the p2p clients, if u both are behind a nat, will check to see if both of you are behind the same lan. If so, then the client will begin transfer using the lan. U can see this if ur tx speeds from the peer is in mb/s. Even this is true only if the nat allows hairpin translations, wherein the nat identifies the ip as it's own domain.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
tweety_bird_bunny said:
yep dudes i have bband..... cant i connect through some software to his pc.... he also has band....
Ohh.. in case your are willing to use P2P , and willing to connect via internet, then there are programs with which we can transfer files from one computer to another.

tweety_bird_bunny said:
we both have lan cards... if we cant connect that way, how can our lan cards come into play??
Your LAN cards can be used by your ISP for providing ADSL connection and your modem will use your LAN, unlike the USB port.
Or if the computers are nearby then your can establish LAN connection and start transferring files.

geekysage

Journeyman
Geez! I am perplexed.

Anyway, looks like using hyperterminal/other similar program will be the best bet for you. Keep in mind the speed will be limited to 56kbps (~50kbps practically) i.e. your modem throughput therefore the phone bill will cost you heavily should you plan to transfer large files.

I'd also suggest you create an ethernet or a Wi-Fi LAN if your friend lives nearby.

By the way, ain't these broadband connections on for 24 hrs? Just use the good 'ol MSN messenger if you plan to do it via Internet. Alternatively, DC++ is one great open source P2P software for such purposes.

Peace.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
First of all, bb don't come via modem so they both may not have a modem.
Second, in india bb don't mean unlimited. Infact, thanks to sify, if u mention the word 'unlimited' u will be asked whether it is in the morining or at night.

geekysage

Journeyman
@sirius_b: "...not have a modem." Are you hitting me? Who in India buys a PC w/out a modem? Besides, nowadays most M/Bs come with inbuilt modem. Apart from all this, didn't somebody mention ADSL here, which automatically implies, well you know what. In fact, tweety_bird_bunny started this post by asking about dialling-in, that's why i mentioned hyperterminal in the first place.

As for your second point, all i can say is, "Hail India!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom