Data DVD read problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosco D'Cruz

Right off the assembly line
Hello everybody. I've just joined Thinkdigit forum today. I've been reading Digit for the past few years. And the amount of tips that you people give has really helped me.

Ok. I am having this problem about the data DVD's that I had burnt a few months ago. The writer in question is a Sony DRU 180 A. I have used Moser Baer single layer DVD's. Most of the DVD's contain mp3's and a few videos and software setup files are in the others. I have used Nero 7 Essentials Express for burning the disks.

The problem is that the disks cannot be read in Windows XP. The error specifies that windows cannot recognize the disk since it is corrupted. sometimes double-clicking tells me to insert a disk. Also there is no sign of the drive spinning. The DVD drive icon in My computer also shows a DVD-RW icon sometimes.

I tried using movie DVD's which work perfectly.

I have even tried wiping the DVD's which I store in a normal CD case. Sometimes the DVD's can be read after wiping them with a soft damp cloth. However, the DVD's can be accessed in ISObuster 2.2 and the files can be run perfectly, even though the software also identifies read errors and marks an X next to each file. The surface of the disks does not have any scratches or smudge marks.

I am very concerned about this problem which does not allow me to access my large mp3 collection. since I have already burned the mp3's and deleted them from my hard disk, getting them back is a problem. but I can still copy the files back using Isobuster and burn them again. but i don't know whether this will help bcoz i had burnt a new disk just a few days back without errors and even that cannot be read.

Please help me in solving this problem. I will be very grateful to all of you.

Thanks a lot.

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
Well Buddy !!!!! This is a very common issue with sony writers and moser bear media ! If your drive is an optiarc drive then try crossflash it with proper optiarc firmware..the problem would be solved.

www.cdfreaks.com is a great place to start with

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I can help you with this mate, since I have a AW-G170A which had the same problem. I solved it by flashing it with AD-7170A firmware. I did not crossflash, as both have the same hardware. Dont try to crossflash unless you feel you can take risks. I created a topic for this in the cdfreaks optiarc discussion forum. i wont post the external link here, but you can see it there.

OP
B

Bosco D'Cruz

Right off the assembly line
Thanx a lot guys. I'll try out that solution. By the way I made 2 mistakes in telling my problem. First, my dvd burner is AW G170 A, 2 the problem started when I kept a disc in the drive for about 2 days. forgot 2 remove it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom