CSE vs IT which is better?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I dont think that there is very much difference between both.
just few subjects will be change other wise same pattern.
and it is a s/w field no doubt the scope is better.

But Government jobs require CSE sometimes for eligibility criteria.

dead.night7

Journeyman
I asked this question just few days after completing my first year in CS to my friend who didn't knew i was in CS of same age who is in IT and had a typical strange answer heres that
His answer -"Woh kya na IT walo ko zyada opportunity hai aur CS walo ko nai".
When i asked him what subjects did he learnt in his first year, he said ya java, c++, html, vb., etc. And these are those subjects that i will learn this year. I asked again why not 'c' first? He replied well we will do basics this year in IT what rubbish... After completing my whole year with whole hearted devotion i get chu****a replies. But still dude I love this subject because you get to study the basics IC and many many electronical things which would led you to the creation of Robots and more. I'm now a die hard fan of c-programming and cant bear people taking down my hardwork.

Last edited:

mohityadavx

Youngling
@ Nims 11

Not much of a difference

Let me tell you by giving the example of Maharishi Dayanand University which has some good colleges of India like YMCA FARIDABAD, The Technological Institute of Textile & Sciences etc.

In MDU you study 38 subject in both CS/IT whichever you take and difference is only of two optional subject.

So it depends on the basis of ur rank which good college u r getting if u are getting college of ur choice then simply take the stream whose cutoff is higher for the college in which u r gonna apply!!!

I hope u get it :)

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Hey Guys,

I want your views on this...

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/education/140558-iiit-hyderebad-cse-vs-iit-kanpur-cs.html

rajeevk

Journeyman
Not very much difference in between. Both have a huge scope. If CSE is available then choose it or go for IT.

tspradeepkumar

Right off the assembly line
As per my perspective, CSE will be much much better for the following reasons

1. When planning for higher studies (in India or Abroad), choices are limited for IT and more choices are available for CSE. (Even a B. Tech (IT) cannot join M.Tech (CSE) in some particular colleges/universities)

2. When going for job perspectives, one has to be good at fundamentals, rather than recent advancements or latest technology, B.Tech (IT) deals with more technological perspective, whereas IT deals with Core Engineering and also deals with technology.

3. If somebody is planned for research level courses, then CSE is better in the sense that they are done with logics, theorotical computer science and even algorithm analysis and design which an IT student lag behind.

4. Finally, the placements, CSE and IT are equally placed and there are companies expect the students to have knowledge on the engineering rather than the technology (Ex, Microsoft, Google...). They vigorously test the students based on the algorithms rather than testing for "what is the latest technology you learnt".

But one can say that, Mostly CSE and IT have the same syllabus except some electives here and there changes, but companies sees the name as B.Tech (IT), then "oh, the student has learnt only technology and no algorithms or no engineering I can expect from him". So Taking IT leads you into this.. Even in government examinations, B.Tech (IT) is not eligible for some posts even if you claim that i have studied what a CSE student has studied.

So anyone who goes for counselling have CSE and IT as a choice, then select CSE....

Moreover, check with the syllabus of CSE and IT of various universities in India and abroad. CSE may have more hardware level courses like (Digial signal processing, Embedded Systems, Real time Systems, VLSI, Advanced Computer architecture, Digital system design, hardware software codesign) which a IT syllabus may not have.......

hope the queries of various students have been solved.

(NB: This is only my perspective)

Pradeepkumar
Pradeepkumar.org

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^IMO, the syllabi of CSE and IT can vary appreciably between universities and colleges. In fact, in some universities abroad, the term "Computer Engineering" means a high-level course in analog and digital electronics with some microprocessor programming and not the stuff we learn here in India (which means even CSE graduates cannot pursue such fields except for the Microprocessor programming without difficulty. However, in reality, there is no hard and fast restriction abroad on what you can or cannot do).

Therefore, to say that there is more "research potential" for CSE is simply not correct, as IT and CSE syllabi vary a lot between universities and you cannot have a narrow definition of what falls into IT and what falls into CSE.

In my previous post, I have already said something about the differences between CSE and IT in India. The fact is that the choice depends on your interests w.r.t the syllabi of the two courses. An IT course is no better or worse than a CSE course when thinking about a job.

But because IT has some "business" oriented subjects, it might be a better option for those wishing to pursue an MBA (not that 1 or 2 business subjects will make you good at business, but at least the terminology will not be new to you when you take admission into MBA).

tspradeepkumar said:
3. If somebody is planned for research level courses, then CSE is better in the sense that they are done with logics, theorotical computer science and even algorithm analysis and design which an IT student lag behind.

Yes, but IT also has scope for web design technologies and related research (neural networks, cloud computing, etc.) which is dealt with in less detail in most CSE courses. But that doesn't mean one can't do the other.

Top Bottom