CRPG discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This thread is to discuss and introduce your favourite CRPGs.

In case you don't know, CRPG stands for Computer Role Playing Game. A CRPG is an RPG that closely follows the format of the pen-and-paper RPGs of the past wherein a computer acts as a DM.

Examples are Baldur's Gate series, Planescape series, Fallout 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity series, etc.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Usually CRPGs are those games like Dungeons and Dragons, where the format is the same but evolved to be played with the computer.

Hallmarks of CRPGs are usually you control a party of different characters, usually lead by a protagonist (a self-insert of the player, usually) and the game is almost always open ended. Top-down views are usually the norm though not always. The success of player actions are usually determined by a dice roll and different stats.

Other than the examples I have mentioned above the following are also some good CRPGs:

• Tyranny
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
  • Wasteland series
  • Disco Elysium (one of my most favourites, highly recommend this one).
  • Pathfinder series
  • Warhammer 40000: Rogue Trader (really looking forward to playing this)
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (really looking forward to playing this as well)

Most modern (non-CRPG) RPGs are mostly spin-offs of CRPGs in terms of mechanics.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No mention of Dragon Age Origins, the GOAT of all CRPGs. I have yet to find one that has the dark fantasy tone as DA:O.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My Fav CRPG

Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy Series
Final Fantasy are CRPGs? I thought they were JRPGs which are a somewhat distinct offshoot of CRPGs IMO.
No mention of Dragon Age Origins, the GOAT of all CRPGs. I have yet to find one that has the dark fantasy tone as DA:O.
Planescape is darker IMO, but yeah DA:O was BG3 before BG3 was cool.

Edit: I mean if you get Lustmord to do the OST of your game, you know it's pretty dark. Though at the last minute, the producers of Planescape: Torment switched the music from Lustmord's to something more generic fantasy and they didn't even pay him.

He compiled the tracks he made for that game into the album Metavoid: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyjNT9iLbU&list=OLAK5uy_mJvIyJcGyY2bJMWRU5j7gXtQb5LpgrTqw&index=1

Edit 2: This video reviews Planescape: Torment pretty well:

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Original sin 1 and 2. too. I played OS2 with a origin story and not custom created character because

2 companions die after act1, so to ensure i get as much quest content as possible, i played my first playthrough as ifan.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I had played D:OS a bit but found it a bit weird to have a conversation between two characters you control. I might come around to it again someday.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The point they were trying to make was you play that game as coop, and each of you control one of the main characters.
But I guess the implementation is clunky if you are just one person playing it
Try OS2, its pretty good CRPG with a bit darker tone in storyline. the story isnt interconnected, it takes place hundreds of years after OS1.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Is there any continuity between those? Otherwise I might try it after finishing OS1. I haven't finished PoE as well.

The last CRPG I finished was Disco Elysium. IMO it's one of the best CRPGs I have played so far. It's not as epic as the other ones but still it has a pretty deep story, memorable characters, unique artstyle and soundtrack. You also don't have a large party, but rather just one additional character. A very unique CRPG. In the beginning the game didn't have fully voiced dialogues, but with the Final Cut release, they fully voiced all dialogues in the game.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No continuity, barely any references to OS1 infact. OS1 was an outlier to the overall divinity storyline. More of a spinoff.
OS2 is connected to Divine Divinity, and Divinity 2. The main protagonist of Divine Divinity is referenced heavily in Act 4. I wont spoil any further lol.

I have Disco Elysium in my library but I always forget to play it, maybe I'll give it a go.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Recently I have been playing Jagged Alliance 3. It's an interesting cross between a CRPG and a Xcom-like. Basically you hire a group of mercenaries and go about doing guerilla warfare on a country overtaken by a hostile militia.

It's basically a combination of Xcom, CRPGs, Commandos and business management. When not in combat you can buy equipment or hire mercs using your laptop (using a fake internet that looks like the 90s web), when in a hostile sector you can sneakily try to eliminate the enemies or get into overwatch positions like in the Commandos series and when combat begins (your squad gets discovered by the enemy or the enemy is startled) it becomes like Xcom.

Also between missions, you can move about the map like in any CRPG and talk to NPCs, do quests, gather resources, buy equipment, etc.

A really good game IMO, scratches my Xcom itch.

I have also installed Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader, but I haven't evaluated it much due to performance issues. I'll post here once there are a few more patches.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I started playing Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader. Good game with deep mechanics and a lot of content and side mechanics. I am currently at appx 60 hours and I am still on chapter 2.

The game has several layers of gameplay: You have the usual party based adventuring mode, but when you are not adventuring, you can manage your ship, gather cargo to trade with other factions, explore space and discover new worlds to mine resources and establish colonies. There is both ground combat as well as ship battles in space.

Like classic CRPGs, this one is very mechanics heavy, requiring you to do a lot of reading to understand different perks and abilities when leveling up your character. There is a lot of combat in the game and it's crucial to optimize your party properly or risk softlocking yourself from progressing when high level enemies appear. There is also a lot of dialogue but not all of it is voice acted. I think these features will put-off more casual players. The game also has some minor bugs which may also be off putting, but I didn't find anything game breaking those are fixed regularly.

Where this game shines is in the world building and the authentic visuals. There are several soundtracks that are pretty epic. The voice acting is only there for some important dialogues, but it's pretty expressive whenever they are there.

Overall a good CRPG IMO.

Top Bottom