Create Linux cd/dvd from Digit DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijangda

Padawan
I have come up with a great tip espessially for those who are Linux lovers and want to make their favourite Linux distro CD/DVD but they has dial-up connection(like me) or use broadband with limits:( . I have wasted my 3 dvds:( to create one good fedora 8 dvd:p . So in all it cost me 4 dvds.So here I will tell you how you can create your own Linux Mint CD or Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE DVD.

You will require following:
1. Digit DVD in which anyone of these distros were send. For Fedora 8 see feb 2008 dvd, for ubuntu dec 2007 computing dvd, for opensuse nov 2007 dvd and for mint oct 2007 dvd(make sure these dvd's are bootable, error free and you can also install these Linux from this dvd)
2. Ashampoo Burning Studio 2008, this was supplied by digit in its nov 2007 dvd/cd. You must also register Ashampoo Burning studio 2008.
3. A cd writer drive for Linux Mint and a dvd-rw drive for others.
4. A blank cd/dvd

Now insert the dvd of your favourite Linux of which you want to create CD/DVD in your drive. Then wait for 30-60 sec until your dvd is recognised. Then Start Ashampoo Burning Studio. Go to Expert Functions and then select Create a Modified Copy of existing CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc. Click on it. Then wait until your dvd is recognised by it. Then click next after clicking it burning studio will add files.

Then delete the following folders:
Entertainment
Gaming
wallpapers
Tools
Productivity

Also delete following files:
digit.exe
autorun.inf

If you want then you can also change the name of cd/dvd you are creating from title:. You can also add some folders if you want if there is enough space. You can also see if all the folders fit on cd or a dvd from two check boxes near status bar. After all this is done then click Next. After this catching will start. After this is completed click next. Then studio will demand a blank cd or dvd. Insert it and click on change options. Then select "Finalize the CD" or it may be written as "Finalize the DVD". Then select "Burn CD in Disc at Once mode" or "Burn DVD in Disc at Once mode". Click Ok and then click "Write CD" or "Write DVD". After sometime your disc will be created. Enjoy this Disc.:p I will recommend Fedora from these if you are professional and if it does not matter if there is some multimedia problems i.e. fedora does not have mp3 decoder. For multimedia support use mint.

Last edited by a moderator:

slugger

Banned
Create Linux cd/dvd from Digit DVD :confused:

but does DIGIT alredy not make its discs Live for Linux distros?

Also if the distros are given as ISOs, how will this method help

from what i read, the member created a new disk image and burnt it

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
What good will removing software that Digit provides in the DVD will do when the distro works just the way it will with those present.?
Then wait for 30-60 sec until your dvd is recognised.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

adi007

Youngling
This method will work only when the DVD is made bootable by Digit..
Now the point is if it's already bootable and you are able to install linux from it..why waste one DVD...?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Pointless.

If cd/dvd images are provided, you can always burn them seperately.
If the dvd itself is bootable,then whats the point of making another?

OP
A

abhijangda

Padawan
Ok friends u didn't understand me. Let me take an example that didn't you back up your important data it is like this. What would happen if your Digit DVD gets scratched then you cannot install Linux in the time when you needed it.
for adi007 this method will work for any cd/dvd whether it is bootable or not.

for shady_inc whenever digit provides its dvds with Linux then these are Dual Layer and dual layer writable DVDs are just too expensive. Once more the stuff which is useless for you canbe removed and your favourite Linux DVD with other favourite softwares can be made.

For slugger this method is only good when no iso files are provided. When iso files are provided as in this april dvd then you can just burn those ones.

adi007

Youngling
No abhijangda you are completely wrong...
This method will not work when the digit DVD is not bootable.....

OP
A

abhijangda

Padawan
If u didn't believe me then see the messeg written when you clicks on "Create a Modified Copy........". There it says "Also works with bootable CD/DVD/Blu-ray. It means that it can also work with non-bootable disks.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I 've created fc8 dvd with magic .iso
Dude are sure open suse will work - i am not able to make it work.
Also If you guys want to make a freebsd 7 dvd from 4 iso cd images provided with this moth's digit dvd - then follow this tutorial :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84700

dreamzchm

Web Design Hobbyist
yes....the method works for opensuse too. I followed a different method though.what i did was created an image of the digit dvd and then edited the iso using magic iso and burnt the final copy to a single layered dvd. done.this method comes in handy if you want to archive your favorite linux distro and don't want anything else on the dvd except the linux content.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many of us know about the iso editing method with tools like magiciso & ultraiso.
But mine opensuse dvd is not working created with magiciso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom