CPU cooler

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
So the budget is flexible from 2 - 4 k.

Which one would be the best. I am not into overclocking until summers but my cpu is idling at 48 which i dont like. And also, in summers when the ambient temps would be ~ 37 deg, I am planning to OC the cpu to ~ 4.2 ghz.

I know hyper evo performs brilliantly at 2.3k.

But is the hyper slim at ~3k worth the extra 500-600 bucks ? Like will I even get ~ 5 deg improvement for those 500 bucks at load ?

Or as a matter of fact, is the TPC 812 at 4k worth the extra 1.7k ? Will it give me a minimum 10 deg improvement at load from the evo ? Or is it more like paying 1.7k for 5 deg :|

Apart from Cooler master, is the nh-u12 series from noctua at ~ 3-4k worth considering compared to the similarly price TPC 812 ?

I am not considering corsair h60 or a70 because AFAIK they re overcharging for the price and its better to get CM/Noctua product at a similar price range.

I am willing to go for deepcool/thermalright if they re worth buying.

Regards.

PS - currently the ambient temps are ~ 28 deg and my cpu is idling at ~ 45 deg.
And at loads (using prime 95), after 5-6 mins of testing, the temps easily reach 100 deg.
I am using the intel stock cooler. Is this normal ?

BTW - my rig is in the signature.

Important point - No water coolers as I have all the case fan slots occupied.

Some of those I short listed -
1)CM Hyper evo
2)CM TPC-812
3)Thermalright silver arrow
4)Noctua NH-u12 se2
5)Deepcool gamer storm
6)CM 412 slim
7)Corsair A70

*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermalright_silverarrow/4.html

This is what draws me to the silver arrow.

and also this -

*www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed/5

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Noctua NH-u12 se2
2. Thermalright silver arrow
3. CM Hyper 212 Evo - best VFM Cooler !

doomgiver

Warframe
+1 for Hyper 212 and the A70

go for hyper 212 as the corsair one wont be available easily here.

the hyper 212 is LEGENDARY as the best vfm cooler in the market. it can easily compete with bigger brands like noctua and scythe, and the fan is damn quiet too.

OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

One doubt I had in my mind -
I am going to change my motherboard in summers.
So just assuring before I buy,there shouldnt be any problems un-mounting the cpu cooler and again installing it on a new mobo, correct ?
I mean would it do the mobo any harm ?
Else I ll have to buy the cooler in summers as well.

I don't think there will be any harm done while changing you mobo.. Unless you physically inflict it yourself eveything should be fine..

Myth

Cyborg Agent
1. Noctua NH-u12 se2
2. Thermalright silver arrow
3. CM Hyper 212 Evo - best VFM Cooler !

+1 to that. Personally I am considering options 1 and 3, in the same order.
@OP: If you find a noctua available anywhere, let me know please.

One doubt I had in my mind -
I am going to change my motherboard in summers.
So just assuring before I buy,there shouldnt be any problems un-mounting the cpu cooler and again installing it on a new mobo, correct ?
I mean would it do the mobo any harm ?
Else I ll have to buy the cooler in summers as well.

Nothing to worry about. Just take care when you install the cooler.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
+1 to that. Personally I am considering options 1 and 3, in the same order.
@OP: If you find a noctua available anywhere, let me know please.

Did you mean these?
Noctua NH-U12P SE 2 CPU Cooler for (AM2 AM3 775 1366 1156)- Four Dual Heat--HQD | eBay

[url]*www.junglee.com/Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2-120mm-Cooler/dp/B0075NM4YA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356444308&sr=1-1
[/URL]

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
^^ ebay is over priced like ****.

the bitfang seller is slightly over priced. However is he reliable ?

eBay is overpriced because it is imported from US. Not sure about bitfang as I have not tried it. I saw almost same price in flipkart, but out of stock. Maybe other TDF members can comment.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Sure.
May I ask, why are you not so generous about the silver arrow ?

Personally, I dont fancy massive coolers. Noctua d14 is something like the silver arrow.
I prefer a single heat-sink and two fans at max.
I have a matx mobo. The silver arrow is either going to hang over the memory slots or make me remove the rear fan. Dont like either scenario.

Did you mean these?
Noctua NH-U12P SE 2 CPU Cooler for (AM2 AM3 775 1366 1156)- Four Dual Heat--HQD | eBay

[url]*www.junglee.com/Noctua-NH-U12P-SE2-120mm-Cooler/dp/B0075NM4YA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356444308&sr=1-1
[/URL]

Bitfang price is ok. I havent seen cheaper on any online site.
But there is serious shortage of noctua u12p model in India. No one seems to have it in stock.

OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

Holy ****.
I never considered that. I too am using a m-atx as of now and theres still 6 months to change the board. I thought the cooler size would be more dependent on the cabinet compared to the mobo :|

So I am in a fix again - seems like we ll have to cut down the bigger coolers from the list.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
go for - CM Hyper 212 Evo.. its the best VFM cooler as topgear has pointed out. It can handle 3570k running at 4.8 GHz very well. If you are going beyond 5GHz mark... you should get H100 :)

btw.. which RAM sticks are you using ? If they are low-profile then the cooler size shouldn't bother you.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
I thought the cooler size would be more dependent on the cabinet compared to the mobo :|
So I am in a fix again - seems like we ll have to cut down the bigger coolers from the list.

Cooler fitting also depends on the mobo layout and the surrounding cabinet fans. Usually for large cabinets and atx boards, this is not a problem.
Calculate the space available for a cooler in your cabinet. Look for a cooler based on that and the budget.

go for - CM Hyper 212 Evo.. its the best VFM cooler as topgear has pointed out. It can handle 3570k running at 4.8 GHz very well. If you are going beyond 5GHz mark... you should get H100 :)

btw.. which RAM sticks are you using ? If they are low-profile then the cooler size shouldn't bother you.

Evo is good till 4.4~4.5. I am not sure it can sustain higher clocks in this climate(indian summer). Since you have the same proc + cooler combo, you could give us some benchmarks results :razz:

low-profile ram wont obstruct the cooler, rather large cooler's will hang over the memory slots. Adding and removing rams will require the cooler to be removed as well everytime.

OP
Thetrueblueviking

Thetrueblueviking

4.8 with evo ? Not sure about that especially in such humid conditions in Bombay.
Will be using corsair vs @ 1600mhz. The rams not a problem - it keeps low.

Calculate the space available for a cooler in your cabinet. Look for a cooler based on that and the budget.
I think it isn't as simple because chances are that the cooler will not be symmetrical on all sides.
Like there is a possibility that the cooler is 8 cms long and suppose I have 4 cms on the left of the cpu. So assuming the design to be symmetric - we get 4 cms on either side. but what if its like 4.15 on one and 3.85 on the other :|

However I can get rough figures.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Cooler fitting also depends on the mobo layout and the surrounding cabinet fans. Usually for large cabinets and atx boards, this is not a problem.

Evo is good till 4.4~4.5. I am not sure it can sustain higher clocks in this climate(indian summer). Since you have the same proc + cooler combo, you could give us some benchmarks results :razz:

low-profile ram wont obstruct the cooler, rather large cooler's will hang over the memory slots. Adding and removing rams will require the cooler to be removed as well everytime.

Lets wait till summer then for real-world benchmark .... He he..
On a side note... I ran it at 4.8 even in October heat, which touched 36 degrees this year. But then I leave in Pune.. weather is always nice here.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Lets wait till summer then for real-world benchmark .... He he..
On a side note... I ran it at 4.8 even in October heat, which touched 36 degrees this year. But then I leave in Pune.. weather is always nice here.

Do it once now. You will do better in winter than any other time. :razz:

4.8 with stress tests ?

Myth

Cyborg Agent
I think it isn't as simple because chances are that the cooler will not be symmetrical on all sides.
Like there is a possibility that the cooler is 8 cms long and suppose I have 4 cms on the left of the cpu. So assuming the design to be symmetric - we get 4 cms on either side. but what if its like 4.15 on one and 3.85 on the other :|

However I can get rough figures.

Google it. There might some people with your combination components.
Cooler dimensions are (usually) available in their respective sites. Noctua also maintains a mobo compatibility list.

Top Bottom