Corsair RM450 setup

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Guys,

I have RM450 PSU but need some help on connecting it to my Gigabyte P55 US3L mobo

as shown below its fully modular PSU
*www.izarmicro.net/fotos/productos/Corsair%20RM450_2.png

As my mobo has 24pin connector so i will be connecting the 24pin (its 20+4 pin) to "24 pin ATX" slots in PSU

the good thing is the connectors have context on them (CPU,PCI-E etc) so thats straight forward.

but my doubt is what the use of C-Link (as shown above) ? Is it needed ?

in the Manual its
Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) cable to the motherboard.
A. If your motherboard has an eight-pin +12V socket, connect the eight-pin
cable directly to your motherboard.
B. If your motherboard has a four-pin socket, detach the four-pin from the
eight-pin cable, and then plug this four-pin cable directly to your motherboard

WARNING: The detachable four-pin from the 24-pin main connector is not a “P4”
or “+12V” connector. Serious damage can be caused if you use it in place of a “P4”
or “+12V” connector.

can somebody highlight on above 8pin & warning part?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
just plug it as you have described. the warning part is about attaching the 4 pin (from 20+4pin) into the 12V processor power socket (EPS 12V, either 4 or 8 pin depending on motherboard).

also if your motherboard has 4pin, then detach the other half of the 8pin and use one half.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

just plug it as you have described. the warning part is about attaching the 4 pin (from 20+4pin) into the 12V processor power socket (EPS 12V, either 4 or 8 pin depending on motherboard).

also if your motherboard has 4pin, then detach the other half of the 8pin and use one half.
thanks for reply

any idea about c-link?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
any idea about c-link?

you need to get separate Corsair Link system and afterwards you can monitor your fan speed and total current on 12V rail which translates your average system power consumption since most power hungry components like cpu, gpu etc are powered by 12v rails.

C-Lisk is the interface for using teh Corsair LINK technology. The C Link cable attaches on one of the free USB header on motherboard and teh Link software allows you to monitor the status and control certain parameters of PSU right from within Windows. It's not much useful unless the PSU is fully digital.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Thanks guys :)

Actually the Issue was

I connected the RM450 as I mentioned above then it booted perfectly and I worked for 5~10mins and then suddenly system was off (I thought what happend :shock: whether I had connected it properly or not!!)
and then when it was off at that moment I heard a loud thud sound with spark (it was ffffffatttttttttt..) :pullhair:
and my room lights went off (because my main switch was off due to that load)
I guessed it was short-circuit in PSU

Dad came running and told me to check the PSU as something is short-circuited...I was still thinking "Was it due to some incorrect connection???..but the System booted perfectly....:chinscratch:)

then I removed the PSU from cabinet with all connection out and tried to test the PSU alone with main power only...
and to my surprise when I switch ON my mains same loud sound with spark inside PSU (Dad said "So u see PSU is the culprit..")

and I tried to switch ON almost 4 times and I got same spark sound with my room light going off...

so sent it RMA again the next day :ashamed:

and the replacement will arrive this week and wanna make sure if I connected it properly :-D

so what u guys think "Its a Faulty PSU...."?

Last edited:
OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

So, I got another replacement for RM450
and this is not giving me the problem as I had mentioned before..

but facing a new problem Issue#2

After the setup, I switched on the PC but the system is behaving weird during boot

tick sound comes during ON (all fans run and the mobo LED beside RAM slot glows green) and the again tick sound after 2.4secs and all goes OFF
and this continuous 6 times in loops :pullhair:

what is the problen? is my mobo gone kaput

I tried it several times with RAM modules still faced the above Issue#2
my RAM modules are perfect as I've recently got them back from RMA

HDD is perfect
Graphics card is also perfect

Kiss

Journeyman
Hi Zangetsu,

Before coming to any conclusions first try the paper clip test on your PSU. I know you have got it as a second replacement, however you never know, even this one could even be faulty.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Hi Zangetsu,

Before coming to any conclusions first try the paper clip test on your PSU. I know you have got it as a second replacement, however you never know, even this one could even be faulty.

what is that?

can you test the pc with another psu?

i don't have other PSU :(

reassemble everything.
will that solve my problem.btw I have opened my mobo completely after I got this Issue...cleaned all the dust in proccy fans and heatsink.
but still got click-ON click-OFF sound :(

Btw I have searched other forums about this Issue....
some says either PSU or Mobo problem.
some says click-click sound comes from PSU when it couldn't transfer enough power to Mobo.

If I have to buy a new mobo (in case its kaput) then which mobo shud I buy coz I think LGA1156 mobos are not available easily right now?

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
may be.. any chance for short circuit inside your cabby? take mobo out ,connect all necessary connectors and test your system.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Ok so I got what is paper clip test.
but this test will check if PSU is working or not..am I correct?

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Yes, That's right...

PSU is working and not dead :-D

Update: the click-click sound is coming from PSU

yesterday I tried these steps:
1. removed 4pin CPU connector,PCI-E connector,HDD connector only 24pin main connector used and all RAMs removed
2. switched ON and again same issue --> click (ON)...all fans spins for 3~4 secs approx then click (OFF)
3.I noticed that the GPU fan was also spinning even though I had removed the PCI-E connector..how??? :???:

Last edited:
Top Bottom