core2Quad or AMD athlon II X4 with a new mobo?

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i have
pentium dual core E5300
ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
GT240 DDR3 1GB
450W SMPS
250GB SATA + 80GB IDE HDD
DVD burner.

i want a quad core processor which should be future proof for 2 years.

should i buy a core2quad 8400 processor or buy AMD athlon II X4 630 processor with a new AM3 and DDRII RAM supporting mobo.

i can spend 8000/- to max 9k. no more. so please suggest one it should be future proof.

i think AMD side will be better since AM3 socket is future proof and LGA775 is old.:grin:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
go for the core2quad(should cost about 8200Rs)
and upgrade your ram to another 2 gb
and you're good to go
the core2quad q8400 performs equivalent(if not better than athlon 635)
dont worry about ddr3 support though
apparently there's not much of a difference in gaming or other purposes between ddr2 and ddr3
but the size definitely matters(2gb vs 4gb)
so total cost is
q8400@8k+2gb ram@2.3k=10.3k

but if you want to get athlon II x4 635
it will cost you:
4.9k for the athlonIIx4 635 +3.7k biostar ta785g3(cheapest am3 socket motherboard)
that adds to about 8.6k(but you have to purchase ddr3 ram)
so total cost is
4.9k+3.7k+5.2k(2x2gb ddr3 ram)==13.8k

i suggest go for the core2 quad and extra 2gb ram

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well if you not in a hurry, better wait a bit. collect more money (making it close to 15k) & than making the jump. you should also change the rams to DDR3. & if possible the PSU.

heres a little idea:

Athlon II X3 425 2.7GHz @ 3.5k
Biostar TA785G3 HD @ 4k
2Gb DDR3-1333Mhz @ 2.5k

total: 10k. you can get the extra 2k by selling out your DDR2 ram & adding around 0.5k.

or opting for the cheaper A3 board. but i'll do recommend get some good money in your pocket than making the switch.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
^^^
sam dont you think it would be more economical for him to go for core2 quad q8400?
he already has the mobo
ddr2 isn't that important right now

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

in 10k he can get the processor and ram upgrade
q8400 is leaps and bounds ahead of athlonIIx3 425!!
that way he wouldn't have to sell anything off

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i will say no upgrade now..better save up and wait for next year's intel and amd processors...

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
well if you not in a hurry, better wait a bit. collect more money (making it close to 15k) & than making the jump. you should also change the rams to DDR3. & if possible the PSU.

heres a little idea:

Athlon II X3 425 2.7GHz @ 3.5k
Biostar TA785G3 HD @ 4k
2Gb DDR3-1333Mhz @ 2.5k

total: 10k. you can get the extra 2k by selling out your DDR2 ram & adding around 0.5k.

or opting for the cheaper A3 board. but i'll do recommend get some good money in your pocket than making the switch.

Perfect config for a future proof pc. Although I think that an x4 for 4-5k bucks can also be fine,if ur budget allows.
I dont kno if foxconn's available in India,but they make the cheapest boards.

vwad

In the zone
Save & Wait my opinion too. In fact, I am doing same for my prospective upgrade. :)

Piyush

Lanaya
if OP wants ato buy right now ,then sourav's idea is good

however ddr2 ram will not long last
also its lga 775,its already old now,and what about the next 2 years

so my suggestion would be to wait a couple of months and then go for the hunt aas the price of these AMD parts drop

Terabyte

In the zone
DDR3 RAM is not compulsory if you are going for AMD
AMD athlon X3 435 - 3.5k
Biostar A785GE - 3.2k
Total - 6.7k
This motherboard supports DDR2 RAM so you can use your current RAM

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^^
sam dont you think it would be more economical for him to go for core2 quad q8400?
he already has the mobo
ddr2 isn't that important right now

well yes, it'll be more economical but i feel its best to wait as other told.

i will say no upgrade now..better save up and wait for next year's intel and amd processors...

+1. i have to take back my words. better to wait. else Op will jump from EOL parts to EOL parts. so outdated rig all the way.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Do not expect old Intel CPUs to get any cheaper when new ones are released. The LGA775 lineup remained just as expensive when the i7/i5 were let out. Infact the Q9550 jumped from a low of 11.3K to a whooping 14K. That is Intel. If you want it -- "show me the money".

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah, actually i will buy new proccy in nov-dec or april-may next year.

is there any plans for Athlon II X6 from AMD?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
When I searched for Athlon II X6 on google, I got a lot of results where people had just wrongly referred to phenom II X6 as Athlon II X6, no result about an athlon six core processor. Don't think there's any plan. Also, I don't think 6 core processors could get cheaper than the Phenoms, prices will drop further in the coming months. If you want a 6 core processor, Phenom is the way to go.

And if you are going to buy after 6 months, it's just too early to plan. One thing I can say though, core2quad will be too old to be bought by then

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ after 5-8 months AMD will launch Athlon II replacement, followed by Phenom II replacement. so it isn't a good move by AMD to put more time in making a L3 cacheless version of Phenom II X6 & hopefully, they won't. all AMD will do now is release faster clocked proccies every 2nd month or so until they are in a position bring in the new platform to market. also what Intel will do is, as faster i3/i5/i7 release, they'll EOL the existing C2D & C2Q instead of cutting the price. quite a nice strategy on Intels part.

vwad

In the zone
^^ after 5-8 months AMD will launch Athlon II replacement, followed by Phenom II replacement. so it isn't a good move by AMD to put more time in making a L3 cacheless version of Phenom II X6 & hopefully, they won't. all AMD will do now is release faster clocked proccies every 2nd month or so until they are in a position bring in the new platform to market. also what Intel will do is, as faster i3/i5/i7 release, they'll EOL the existing C2D & C2Q instead of cutting the price. quite a nice strategy on Intels part.

This means there will be still high end proccies after 6 months showing their tongues to budget conscious people like me. :mad:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
yes there will be. Intel will be first to it though Sandy Bridges & AMD with Llano & all its derivatives.

vwad

In the zone
yes there will be. Intel will be first to it though Sandy Bridges & AMD with Llano & all its derivatives.

I wonder how much improvement will be there in graphics performance & How much part will Directx 11 play. :)

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
OK, looks like AMD is way to go in future, intels quads and hexs are too costly.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Yeah, for any one who says I have a budget, no matter how much, AMD is the way to go and will be more so as AMDs improve their performance and Intel their prices with their new range of processors.
Thankfully, the competition is more even in the graphics card section with nvidia and AMD both giving good price-performance ratio

vwad

In the zone
Yeah, for any one who says I have a budget, no matter how much, AMD is the way to go and will be more so as AMDs improve their performance and Intel their prices with their new range of processors.
Thankfully, the competition is more even in the graphics card section with nvidia and AMD both giving good price-performance ratio

This is mind soothing and troubling at the same time :p