Core i5 Cranks up to 3.6 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hkpc.net is reporting that Intel has optimized the processor's Turbo Mode, cranking up the clock speed to 3.6 GHz

Set for a launch in Q3 2009, Intel's 45nm Core i5 (Lynnfield) processor will come in three flavors: 2.66 GHz, 2.8 GHz, and 2.93 GHz. All three versions will feature four cores (4 threads for the 2.66 GHz version, 8 threads for the other two), 8 MB of L3 cache, a TDP of 95 watts, and will fit snug into the LGA-1156 socket. Additionally, all three versions feature 731 million transistors, an integrated DD3 memory controller, an integrated PCI-Express graphics controller, and support for Turbo Boost. As of today, Intel plans to price the 2.66 GHz version around $196 USD; the 2.96 GHz Core i5 will cost around $562 USD.

However, according to a report over on the Chinese website HKEPC, Intel optimized the Nehalem core as well as its Turbo Mode technology, thus giving the Core i5 a significant 5-step boost while staying within the 95 watt TDP. When set in turbo, Intel's 2.66 GHz version will speed up to 3.2 GHz, whereas the 2.8 GHz version will boost to 3.46 GHz and the 2.93 GHz to 3.6 GHz. The site also said that the two current Core i7 processors--specifically the 2.66 GHz and 2.93 GHz versions originally released in November 2008--will climb two steps as well while remaining within the 130 watt TDP.

HKEPC also confirmed that the Clarksfield quad-core processor for mobile devices will feature Hyper-Threading technology and a TDP of 35 watts; it was speculated that the processor would require a TDP of 45 or 55 watts. Additionally, the processor will come in three flavors--1.6 GHz, 1.73 GHz, and 2.0 GHz--and will also be available in Q3 2009. However, unlike the core i5, the three Clarksfield processors will be a bit more costly, ranging from $364 USD to $1054 USD.

*www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Core-i5-Turbo,7615.html

For personal Record only : Post No. 2000 :p

amitash

Intel OCer
Great news....All the AMD fanboys cribbing about phenom 2 955 BE and how its cheap will fall flat on their faces.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
1. It isn't coming before September
2. DDR3 is STILL COSTLY
3. Motherboards won't be cheap(199$ ain't cheap)
4. The cheapest Core i5 doesn't have the HT capability, no wonder it's the least priced, and that is the only one which comes close to Phenom II, and that too in price only.

^^^ Just imagine the planet with only one chip maker....looks scary isn't it?
it wud be unimaginable

INTEL wud have been still selling Pentium 4 3GHz Extreme for 999$

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
its the competition that forces intel or AMD to bring more monsters at cheaper prices....
if only one existed, we wud be dead by now.

comp@ddict

I knew it,

X2 7750 B.E. is a dual core right?
It CAN BE UNLOCKED TO BECOME A QUAD CORE.

*www.techpowerup.com/92330/Athlon_X2_7750_BE_Unlocked_to_Quad-Core.html

amitash

Intel OCer
1. It isn't coming before September
2. DDR3 is STILL COSTLY
3. Motherboards won't be cheap(199$ ain't cheap)
4. The cheapest Core i5 doesn't have the HT capability, no wonder it's the least priced, and that is the only one which comes close to Phenom II, and that too in price only.

1. Agreed
2.I can get you 6 gb of OCZ platinum 6gb 1600Mhz for only 6k...3gb for 2.7k
3.Where does it say the mobo price? even if it is then for multi gpu setups:
AMD: phenom 2 955--250$ + x16/x16 cfx mobo--170$ + 6gb ddr3--100$ total: 530$
Intel: core i5 2.66--200$ + Assuming lga1156 mobos wont be more expensive than lga1366 ones purely because core i5 is supposed to be the cheaper--240$ +same RAM---100$ total:
540$
4.HT doesnt provide a big boost unless the apps support it....IF you manage to load all the 4 cores AND have a program that supports HT, you might get a 10-25% perf boost...It wont make any difference in gaming and real world usage, it will make a difference in things like graphics rendering and a bit in encoding encoding but dont expect boosts in gaming...To test this, i turned off HT and Ran crysis and FC2 benches...perf in crysis decreased by 3 fps whereas it increased by 1 in FC2....While converting the same AVI video to my 5800XM mp4 format it took 4 secs longer with HT disabled.

comp@ddict

ore i5 2.66--200$
lol who wud buy core i5 when they know it misses the most wanted feature(after TURBO) of the Core ix series? HT!!

But yes, you are right.

And it is also true that for fps, investing in a better GPU is more of a better thing than investing in a better CPU.

.I can get you 6 gb of OCZ platinum 6gb 1600Mhz for only 6k...3gb for 2.7k
bloddy hell, those r gud prices, where will u get them from?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^^ Just imagine the planet with only one chip maker....looks scary isn't it?

But it's the rule of survival of the fittest. Who wants to spend a equal amout of money for a slower proc. If you have the money are not you going to buy the best possible thing.

If AMD or any other company makes good chips this will be true for all other competing companies.

Not a bad post for 2000 :razz:.

Thanks buddy :p

comp@ddict

Why such a big price difference between these two ????
The lowest model aka 195$ doesn't have HyperThreading feature, which is native to all other Core i5's and all Core i7's.

amitash

Intel OCer
HT is NOT the "best" feature of core i7... core i5 will be nothing but a quad core procy with turbo and natively faster cores....Due to the incredible jump in turbo, it will probably beat phenom 2's

bloddy hell, those r gud prices, where will u get them from?

Those are the prices quoted by a dealer on techenclave and erodov forums called Katmandude....He gets them from US AND with warranty support...The 6-6.5k for the RAM is inclusive of shipping....If you can find something on newegg, he will get it...He quoted evga gtx260 core 216 at 12k.

comp@ddict

^^ I know him

Well, for Palit GTX260 SONIC, the price is Rs. 11,500.

And he quoted MSI GTX260 OC(Core = 655MHz) for Rs. 10,800, yes.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
how about this:

Phenom II X4 940 BE : $190
BIOSTAR TForce TA790GX A3+ AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail: 120$
Patriot Viper 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz : $90

Total: 400$

That's full 140$ cheaper than the core i5 kit you suggested. Add $30 to this $140 and I will get HD4870!!

Moreover, as we all saw that AMD is getting closer and closer to Core i7 with each release, I seriously doubt if core i5 could really compete with Phenom II X4.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
how about this:

Moreover, as we all saw that AMD is getting closer and closer to Core i7 with each release, I seriously doubt if core i5 could really compete with Phenom II X4.

yup, very correct
but atleast people will have a choice b/w a P2 and a cheaper Corei. Due to the name of i7, i5s sure to be gonna sell like hot cakes.

amitash

Intel OCer
I think it probably can give very good competetion...a core i5 is basically a core i7 with no HT But its turbo pushes it up a great deal...and when cheap P55 mobos come out, its going to go head on with prices....AMD really has no proper answer to core i7 though....the phenom 2 955 falls flat on its face and only beats the i7 ib a few single thread benches due to its higher clock speed

The site also said that the two current Core i7 processors--specifically the 2.66 GHz and 2.93 GHz versions originally released in November 2008--will climb two steps as well while remaining within the 130 watt TDP.

Does that mean Turbo for i7-920 will increase the multi to 22x from 20x in a few months?(mostly thru a bios update)...If thats so then the 920 will increase to 3.0Ghz...that will beat the phenom in everything.

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer
Actually, core i5 mobos are quite barebones. no crossfire/sli support and quickpath intergrated into cpu. intel can produce them at 45$ even.

Most current "cheap" AMD mobos also dont support FULL x16cfx...only x8/x8....same is the case AFAIK with intel P55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom