continuous restarting

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
My SPECS:

Proccy: 955 BE (bought in 2009)

Mobo: M5A78L-M/USB 3.0 (bought in 2015)

Ram: HYPERX FURY (4GB x 3=12 GB) (bought in 2016-17)

Cooler: H100i V2 (bought last week)

PSU: Corsair 450vx(bought in 2011)

HDD: WD BLACK(1TB), SEAGATE BARRACUDA(1 TB) (bought in 2014)

Ext HDD: WD MY PASSPORT (bought in 2012)

FANs: Cooler-2, Rear -1, Front-1,side - 1

Cabinet: NZXT PAHNTOM FULL TOWER

MONITOR: DELL SP2309W @ 2K resolution (bought in 2009)

Issue:
  • Last evening, while checking MAILSs, system restarts out of no where.
  • I Re entered Desktop but it again restarts -no BSOD.
  • Now entered SAFE MODE, then it again restarts.
  • Now while in BIOS , it does the same.
  • Now while in POST it again restarts
  • Now restarts again & again even before the POST starts.

PAUSE for 10 mins, Started PC, it hardly completes POST,restarts again.

Suggestions please regarding which one to eliminate.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Start with Ram,use only 1 stick at a time(& all ram slots) & try it with ram present in system before buying HyperX.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then at least disconnect the hdd,even without it you can check with bios running or you can use live linux cd/dvd/usb.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Done the testing.
unplugged all except monitor, kbd ,mouse.
Tested RAM(all 3 modules) in each slot(A1,A2 B1,B2).

Results are RANDOM & WEIRD:

Sometimes it pushes upto Desktop and remains there for an hour or sometimes upto 6 to 7 hours. But after that when i restart it, it is continuously booting.

For the same RAM in the same slot in the morning it refuses to give a clean boot while at night it neatly pushes upto desktop and remains uninterrupted for the whole night. In the next morning when i am thinking the problem is solved and restarted the system it again starts the weird behaviour.

Cannot take any decision which one to be blamed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
By pushing upto desktop you meant live linux not windows,right?If not then only use live linux after disconnecting hdd,also run ram benchmark tool like memtest86 off a usb/cd.Also try getting a psu from friend/relative or best option is simply take the mobo with processor to a big pc shop & let them test it with their ram & psu.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
i have win 7 ultimate, 64 bit. pushing here means , from POST to DESKTOP.

no one is ready to give their system for diagnose purpose. and i have only sat & sun in my hand for prolonged experiment.

however, make one friend agreed to provide me his system on sat. I will insert all the rams in his system first and observe. this will b done on SAT. Then will gradually change all .

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I meant don't use windows or your hdd at all to eliminate any software/malware issues.Use live linux cd/usb & as it runs completely from ram there will be some checking of ram also by doing this.

Reactions: nac

chetan.g

Journeyman
Done the testing.
unplugged all except monitor, kbd ,mouse.
Tested RAM(all 3 modules) in each slot(A1,A2 B1,B2).

Results are RANDOM & WEIRD:

Sometimes it pushes upto Desktop and remains there for an hour or sometimes upto 6 to 7 hours. But after that when i restart it, it is continuously booting.

For the same RAM in the same slot in the morning it refuses to give a clean boot while at night it neatly pushes upto desktop and remains uninterrupted for the whole night. In the next morning when i am thinking the problem is solved and restarted the system it again starts the weird behaviour.

Cannot take any decision which one to be blamed.

Oky , do these things:

1. Check the CPU temperatuer. Clean the heat sink, may be the thermal compound has lost its efficacy - this all can be know by noting the temperature - it should not go beyond 80 degrees (on ideal condition)
2. Remove the Graphics card (if you have installed) and boot the system with integrated graphics card (motherboard graphics card), if still, problem persists,
3. Clean the Ram stick: look out whether any carbon (dark spots) are deposited on RAMs circuit connections, if yes, clean it with rubber - "do not apply too much pressure". Also try to install new RAM (from friends system - 1 stick) and observe, if not, then,
4. Check the PSU.

Shortening could also give these symptoms but I think that is, not the case it seems ..

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
It should either be your PSU or the CPU. I think high temps are shutting down the PC. Check by using anybody's PSU & CPU. You will surely find an answer.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Oky , do these things:

1. Check the CPU temperatuer. Clean the heat sink, may be the thermal compound has lost its efficacy - this all can be know by noting the temperature - it should not go beyond 80 degrees (on ideal condition)
2. Remove the Graphics card (if you have installed) and boot the system with integrated graphics card (motherboard graphics card), if still, problem persists,
3. Clean the Ram stick: look out whether any carbon (dark spots) are deposited on RAMs circuit connections, if yes, clean it with rubber - "do not apply too much pressure". Also try to install new RAM (from friends system - 1 stick) and observe, if not, then,
4. Check the PSU.

Shortening could also give these symptoms but I think that is, not the case it seems ..
1. 40 degree cpu temp, 36 motherboard temp.
2. i do not have any.
3.done it before creating the topic in this forum
4. done the psu pin testing. perfectly running.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I had a similar problem with my office desktop. The culprit was faulty motherboard in that case.
While you have done several troubleshooting steps, one more thing just to give it a try is to long press and hold the Power button on the cabinet (While mains is Off) for 30 - 40 seconds.
This shall clear the mobo of any static residual charges that sometimes interfere with normal workings of the digital circuitry. If there's underlying HW fault this trick won't work anyway.

Last edited:

chetan.g

Journeyman
1. 40 degree cpu temp, 36 motherboard temp.
2. i do not have any.
3.done it before creating the topic in this forum
4. done the psu pin testing. perfectly running.

Alright, so ruling out the hight temperature of CPU, good PSU units, no Graphics card, clear RAM !! .

What's Q error code your motherboard is showing when it boots up? If your MB does not have an embedded diagnostic card then you insert one (renting from computer shop) a PCI 4 digit PC motherboard diagnostic card, and see what error it gives when you boot your PC.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
inserted my all 3 rams and attached my PSU in another system (with a slight higher specs than me) : running good. system boots up clearly, desktop appears and then i restart again. everything goes good.

I have submitted the board for RMA without giving any second thought.

Reactions: nac
Top Bottom