Connecting USB headset to nexus 7 2013 via USB otg.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Is there any way to connect my Logitech headset having USB cable to nexus 7 2013 via USB otg? Note that my nexus is no rooted. I have tried using nexus media importer and nexus USB otg manager but of no use. Even external hard drive is not detected by the app.
Any solutions?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You need to root your Nexus 7 before accessing any files from USB flash drive/external hard drive.
Even if you root it, your tab might not support drivers with NTFS. To fix this you may need to flash a new firmware/ROM.

Read this XDA thread for detail: is the new nexus 7 hardware support OTG? | Nexus 7 (2013) | XDA Forums

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
You need to root your Nexus 7 before accessing any files from USB flash drive/external hard drive.
Even if you root it, your tab might not support drivers with NTFS. To fix this you may need to flash a new firmware/ROM.

Read this XDA thread for detail: is the new nexus 7 hardware support OTG? | Nexus 7 (2013) | XDA Forums
So there is no legit way to use USB otg without rooting? So what's the point of advertising the "USB otg" as a feature for nexus?

And what does it really mean that a device supports USB otg?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So there is no legit way to use USB otg without rooting? So what's the point of advertising the "USB otg" as a feature for nexus?

And what does it really mean that a device supports USB otg?

I think you *can* use keyboard and mouse without rooting by connecting it via OTG cable. I know my Nexus 7 (2012) can do. I don't seem to recall USB OTG as "advertized". But I am glad that you can atleast use it with rooting.
Also development of Ubuntu Touch is supported only on N7 (2013) and not on older model. You should be happy about it atleast. :p

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
I think you *can* use keyboard and mouse without rooting by connecting it via OTG cable. I know my Nexus 7 (2012) can do. I don't seem to recall USB OTG as "advertized". But I am glad that you can atleast use it with rooting.
Also development of Ubuntu Touch is supported only on N7 (2013) and not on older model. You should be happy about it atleast. :p
The whole point of USB otg is the ability of connecting a storage device to th device without the need of a external source for example PC. Connecting keyboards and mice should be added as perks..

Wait a minute, if you can connect keyboard and mice, then why not external headset with USB cable?

And also, Iam waiting for Android l ota and after that I'll root. ☺

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The whole point of USB otg is the ability of connecting a storage device to th device without the need of a external source for example PC. Connecting keyboards and mice should be added as perks..

Wait a minute, if you can connect keyboard and mice, then why not external headset with USB cable?

And also, Iam waiting for Android l ota and after that I'll root. ☺

Even if you root now, you can still get OTA updates. Although after updating OS via OTA, you might need to root again.

Also, have you tried connecting KB/Mouse using your OTG cable? That would confirm whether it's not your OTG which is at fault.

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Even if you root now, you can still get OTA updates. Although after updating OS via OTA, you might need to root again.

Also, have you tried connecting KB/Mouse using your OTG cable? That would confirm whether it's not your OTG which is at fault.
Woah.. Now everything works fine. I can even be able to connect USB drive. But my external drive and headsets don't work with this method. Any solutions?

And also some videos do not open. It says "can't open the video file". Any fix to this?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Solution for external drive and headset seems to be "rooting" to me, which I already explained earlier.
To play videos, install a player like MX Player and/or VLC player.

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Solution for external drive and headset seems to be "rooting" to me, which I already explained earlier.
To play videos, install a player like MX Player and/or VLC player.
I tried using vlc and mx player but no use. Same error. Any solutions

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Possible reasons:
1. You didn't install the Codecs. Although the video player prompts to download them if it needed. You sure you didn't skipped installing any codecs?
2. Probably the video is corrupt? Have you tried to play other videos?

What was the format of the video? What is the exact error? A screenshot can help. You can take it by pressing Power button + Volume down button.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

Possible reasons:
1. You didn't install the Codecs. Although the video player prompts to download them if it needed. You sure you didn't skipped installing any codecs?
2. Probably the video is corrupt? Have you tried to play other videos?

What was the format of the video? What is the exact error? A screenshot can help. You can take it by pressing Power button + Volume down button.

as already mentioned by Vyom, MX player needs seperate codecs depending on the chipset

ankush28

Bazinga
Is there any way to connect my Logitech headset having USB cable to nexus 7 2013 via USB otg? Note that my nexus is no rooted. I have tried using nexus media importer and nexus USB otg manager but of no use. Even external hard drive is not detected by the app.
Any solutions?

USB Audio only works with DACs AFAIK. To enable it for headset you might have to play with Kernel modules.
NON-ROOTED Nexus 7 can mount Pen Drives (Its just not added to your file explorer)

Try your luck with "FILE COMMANDER" app with its "OTG PLUGIN"

- - - Updated - - -

nexus 7 runs on ARMv7 NEON processor so no need of Codes, they are integrated in app.

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
USB Audio only works with DACs AFAIK. To enable it for headset you might have to play with Kernel modules.
NON-ROOTED Nexus 7 can mount Pen Drives (Its just not added to your file explorer)

Try your luck with "FILE COMMANDER" app with its "OTG PLUGIN"

- - - Updated - - -

nexus 7 runs on ARMv7 NEON processor so no need of Codes, they are integrated in app.
Well, if it is then, why does the app doesn't play videos?

And also, the extension of the vids are mp4. Iam using nexus otg file Manager.

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
the f are you all talking about you uninformed people.
you can use es file explorer to use usb flash drive or fat32/ntfs notebook hard drive on nexus7 2012 without rooting!!!!!!!!
you can use a kb and mouse also without rooting.
mx player now installs nvidia tegra3 codec on its own and hw+ decoder plays almost all formats.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
the f are you all talking about you uninformed people.
you can use es file explorer to use usb flash drive or fat32/ntfs notebook hard drive on nexus7 2012 without rooting!!!!!!!!
you can use a kb and mouse also without rooting.
mx player now installs nvidia tegra3 codec on its own and hw+ decoder plays almost all formats.

The F are you talking about? OP is discussing about 2013 model, not the older one. And I am a hundred percent positively sure you can't browse files on N7 2012 without rooting and without using stickmount.

ubergeek

Journeyman
The F are you talking about? OP is discussing about 2013 model, not the older one. And I am a hundred percent positively sure you can't browse files on N7 2012 without rooting and without using stickmount.

No sir you are wrong, using a USB otg pend drive i was able to browse the pen drive contents without rooting . using es file explorer

OP
K

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys~? Back on topic please?

How can I get to stream vids and movies from my pendrive? I can run audio files but cant play mp4 video files.. Other extensions are not playable too.. Tried using VLC and MX player but of no use..

Fixes anyone?

Top Bottom