Connecting laptop hard-disk to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohummisra

Broken In
Here's the deal. My laptop was running slowly today so I restarted it. It started fine the first time but I could not login. The computer basically froze on the login-screen (XP Pro Networked). So I restarted again and this time I logged in fine. However, this time the computer froze in the desktop mode...I couldn't do anything. So I tried restarting in Safe Mode but I was greeted with an error message saying something along the lines of:

The following file is corrupt or deleted:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system

Or something like that, I'm not sure about the exact path. My school has enforced all sorts of restrictions on the laptop because of which I can't do anything. The tech staff is also stupid enough that if such a problem crops up they will simply reformat and reclone the laptop. I have an XP Pro CD-ROM but I do not have a CD-ROM drive. I was wondering two things:

- is it possible to connect my laptop hard disk to my CPU and back-up any files that I can, without admin privileges, and if so how (I would prefer exact instructions--never done it before)
- is it possible to install any sort of USB CD-ROM device to back up files (sounds sort of stupid as I write it)?

Thanks in advance. :)

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
if u can get hold of a USB optical drive, it would b a good option...alternatively, u could get urself one of those internal->external convertors...but im not sure if u can 1 4 a laptop hard drive...

networking seems out of the question as ur laptop keeps freezing...

USB optical drive sounds like the best idea :)

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
I am not sure if I have made this clear but I cannot start Windows. Effectively, I have no operating system. I don't think I would be able to install a USB optical drive under those situations. That's why I was unsure when I mentioned it...can I?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, the only alternative I can think of is to connect a USB optical drive (which WILL be recognized by your computer, even without Windows) and then boot your computer using a Windows XP bootable CD, and then run a repair install. That should get your computer at least up to a state where you can at least backup your data.

tuxfan

Technomancer
If you can use a bootable CD, you can even try out Knoppix and recover your data at least.

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
Thanks for the tips. I figured there was a way to connect the laptop hard disk to my PC by use of a laptop hard disk adapter but haven't done so yet. Instead I have just given my computer to my school tech department who will try and repair the installation of windows, else let me back up my stuff and repair. So let's see how it goes... tuxfan, I love the Linux ideal. :p

OP
S

sohummisra

Broken In
It was a really stupid problem. Turns out that I had directly shut down the computer too many times (from the button) and thus it somehow corrupted my profile. So I had to take it to the school and they just repaired it and told me not to do it again. Haha. All saved and no need to back anything up. Thanks for the suggestions though...when I will need to back up stuff I'll know what to do. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom