connect vista-win98 or winxp-win98 with cross cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemantpl

Broken In
Hi,

I have an laptop which has vista home preloaded, and I have a PC which has Win 98. Now I cannot install vista/xp on win 98 desktop as the software that we use for office work cannot print correctly in vista/xp as printer is dot matrix printer and their are lot of problem with custom page setting and dot matrix printer in vista and xp. So I have two options 1) Connect Vista to Win98 desktop with cross cable save data to win 98 from Vista and print it from their, 2) Format laptop and install WinXP then connect WinXP and Win98 with cross cable and do same as above.

Problem is I dont know how to connect/configure Vista to Win98 or WinXP to Win98 with cross cable. So please help, thank you in advance.

talkingcomet

Dragon Reborn
hmm i just used cross cable to connect my vista laptop with my xp desktop. You dont have to make any configurations. Just make the option to acquire ip address automatically in both computers and enable network discovery and file sharing in vista and connect them using the cable. i think it will work the same way in 98 also. if needed, i can give you a step by step way of how to do it.

OP
H

hemantpl

Broken In
I tried the same with win98 and and vista but was unable to connect. Please give me step by step guide

talkingcomet

Dragon Reborn
hmmm am not a tech expert..
but i'll try..
and note that this was the steps i followed for connecting my XP PC with my Vista Laptop.

First, configuring your 98 LAN.
Go to control panel and open on network connections.
In the configurations page, select TCP/IP and click on the properties button.
On the IP address page, select "obtain ip address automatically".
And select OK.

Configuring Vista.
Open Network Sharing Center and turn on Network Discovery and Printer Sharing and File Sharing.
On the left pane, click Manage n/w Connection.
Right Click on the LAN and select properties.
Select TCP/IPv4 and click Properties.
Enable the option to Obtain IP Address automatically.
Click OK.

Changing the Workgroup in Vista
Open Control Panel\System
Click Advanced System Settings on the left pane.
Select Computer Name. And then note down the Workgroup name.
You can change the workgroup if you want by clicking rename.

Changing the Workgroup in 98
Open conrol panel then network.
In the Identification page select a workgroup name.

WORKGROUP is a safe name. Just make sure you have the same workgroup name for both pcs.
Connect the two PCs.

Now to enable file sharing in 98
1. On the computer you're sharing, open My Computer.
2. Right-click the hard drive you want to share and choose Sharing from the shortcut menu that appears.
3. Select the Shared As option.
The options in the dialog box are now available.
4. Type your own name for this share in the Share Name text box.
5. Configure the Access Type.
By default, Windows makes the access type Read-Only, but you can change the access type to Full if needed.
6. Click OK.

Opening the shared folder in Vista
On the Network and sharing centre, open View Computers and Devices.
You will see the shared PC there.
Open it and you can view the shared drive or folder.

Hope this helps. If not, wait for the techies to answer. Coz I'm out of touch with 98 for a long long time. Don't remember where all the options are.

Last edited:

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
i just wrote a tutorial for connecting windows(desktop) to vista(laptop) using crossover cable.
connecting xp desktop to vista laptop using crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom