Connect 2 Laptop & a Desktop

mohityadavx

Youngling
Hi!

I want to play some games on LAN. I have a desktop and two laptop. I have reliance ADSL internet connection but no router. I have plenty of spare ADSL wire and have all to tools to attach a connector(RC-5 Jack) to both its side. Please tell me how to connect all three of them if not three but at least two of them. Please don't suggest me to buy a router as I have don't cash to spare. You could also suggest some method to make a crosswire with illustrations.Other suggestion also welcome.

Desktop Configuration(Assembled):
4 GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
250 GB SEAGATE HARD DISK
NVIDIA 8400GS
Intel Core2Duo E7400 @ 2.8Ghz

Laptop Configuration(Both the laptop are same HCL ME Series):
2 GB RAM
500 GB HARD DISK
Graphics Card( Don't remember the name)
Intel Core2Duo @ 2.33 Ghz

Thanks In Advance

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
to connect two PCs you will nedd to buy some Cat5 and RJ-45 jacks.

Networking Guide : Category 5 Wiring Scheme - RJ-45 connector and crimping tool

Gollum

Collector
Crimpimg tools are quite expensive. Just go to your nearest computer shop and ask them to make a cable for you. It will be a lot cheaper and will save some time too.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ :agreed: also they won't be used on a regular basis, provide he not a professional in networking dept. so thats will be wastage of money.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you know when I first time crimped a cat5 cable with Rj-45 cable - what have I used - I used just a flat head screwdriver for crimping - read it about online way back on 2006 and I gave that try and succeeded.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
You'll get a cable from some shop. Just ask in a few.
Two PCs can be connected just by using a LAN cable pugged into the ethernet port. But for connecting more than 2 PCs, I think you'd need a LAN switch to which you can connect all your computers.
Right click my computer and go to properties. Click on computer name tab and click the change button. Give a common workgroup name to all computers. I suggest not keeping it to the default WORKGROUP. This way your computers will become visible in My Network Places by clicking view workgroup computers.
Now open network connections from control panel. Right click on Local Area Connection and then go to properties. Now click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties button. Now check use the following IP address and enter an IP address like 192.168.0.100. Repeat this process on every computer but keep the IP address different on each PC. For example if you use 192.168.0.100 on first then use 192.168.0.101 on second and so on.
Now you can enter the IP address of the PC you want to connect to inside games and all.

EDIT: Done it a while back, so someone please correct me if i went wrong somewhere.

acewin

Point Blanc
cool buddy you are right. a normal RJ45 cable also connects two systems through their LAN ports without a cross-wire also. It is just that the OS should be able to detect the next system IP. I was playing counter strike with my bro using that on two laptops.

another easier setup is using a 5 or 8 port network switch which comes in 500-600 bucks saving money spent on extra LAN cards each system.

Top Bottom