connect 2 comps and share net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikhar

Journeyman
I have a desktop and a laptop, the desktop is connected to the net.
Desktop has Win XP SP3 whereas the laptop has Win Vista Home Premium.
I want to connect both the comps through a lan cable for the purpose of file transfer and lan gaming besides I want the net connection on the desktop to be made available on the laptop as well.
Can u please help me on how to achieve this. Thnx in advance.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I have no hands-on experience with this, but just yesterday I too though about this. I found that it can be done via cross-over ethernet cable. Plz read the below link:
*compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/a/connecttwocomp.htm

Also, if you can invest, you may go for Wireless LAN network(WLAN). Since you have a laptop, it may be more valuable as well. Please see this thread ==>*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104325

I just enquired today at Thane, the price for wireless LAN router starts at 1850. Also you will need a wireless LAN card. I will checkout the prices at the Lamington road soon

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Hi Srikhar

Your problem is very simple. Just buy a router. Since you have a laptop, I would suggest to go with Wifi router which would be available everywhere.

Your ADSL broadband modem would be connected to router which will have atleast 4 Ethernet ports. You can use one Ethernet port to connect to Desktop. From laptop, you can use the either way (Ethernet or wifi if you have wifi). And, to play games, I would suggest you to connect both PC and laptop to ethernet for better bandwidth.

So, in short, buy a router. It would solve all your requirements irrespective of what OS you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom