Confused in i5 and Phenom II X4

auto

Broken In
Hey guys, I want buy future proof config. I'll use it mostly for Video editing, casual gaming, for virtualization and other daily works.

Currently I decide to buy these ones

4GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair/Kingston
1TB/500GB HDD
Corsair VX450 PSU
CM Cabinet

GPU and monitor will buy after few days

I Confused between CPU, which to buy Intel i5-760 or Phenom II X4 955BE
OR New i5 Sandy bridge.

Pls help

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Core i7 2600k @ 17k (approx). The fastest sandybridge processor and performs almost same as a 50k core i7 980x a.k.a gulftown ! It demolishes everything in its path, from the older i7 9 series to amd x4, x6.

Pair it with a p67 motherboard as this processor has unlocked multiplier and can be overclocked very easily. Its a hell of an overclocker. But you will require a discrete graphics card immediately.

What gpu are you planning to buy?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
15-17k is for procesor + mobo or processor alone. and i7 2600k is great overkill for you. instead spend on atleast 6gb ram for virtualisation.

OP
A

auto

Broken In
Sorry, I didn't read "vickybat's" post careflly and instantly reply(I was in hurry).

Yes, the budget is for both CPU+Mobo. So please suggest both.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, 4 GB is pretty much sufficient for most of the applications. No need to go for 8 GB. There are very few editing software which can actually use 8 GB of Ram.

Jerin

Journeyman
^

In the long run ,you will need more memory as applications are becoming resource eaters day by day. Also your main objective requires a lot of RAM.

See

Windows 7 alone in 64 bit requires 2 GB for good performance (as per MS ). Then you have just 2 gb. If you can adjust no problem.

But later on even if you need, you may not be able to do so, because these RAM standards keeps on changing with time.

acewin

Point Blanc
if he really has to work on virtualization he will need loads of RAM.
buy single chip of 4gb ram than trying to reduce price buying 2x2GB

ah one more thing the mobo you buy should support HW virtualization otherwise you are doomed. SW based virtualization is a big res hog

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ I guess that shouldn't be a problem with latest processors and motherboards cause they support hw virtualization.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^

In the long run ,you will need more memory as applications are becoming resource eaters day by day. Also your main objective requires a lot of RAM.

See

Windows 7 alone in 64 bit requires 2 GB for good performance (as per MS ). Then you have just 2 gb. If you can adjust no problem.

But later on even if you need, you may not be able to do so, because these RAM standards keeps on changing with time.

Listen, don't put info what you have thought of or you think is right. Windows 7 64 bit offers better performance with 2 GB ram does not imply that it is going to eat all the 2 GB of ram while running and you will left with only 2 GB, if you are using total 4 GB of ram.This is not hard disk buddy.

I have used My Windows 7 64 bit with 2 GB Transcend Ram for almost 3-4months before switching to 4 GB and played a lot of games with no lagging or anything. It will run fine with even 2 GB module.

DO one thing, while running some Video Editing software, open task manager and check what amount of memory is on use. You will find there is very few apps where it is actually over 3.4-3.5GB

OP
A

auto

Broken In
if he really has to work on virtualization he will need loads of RAM.
buy single chip of 4gb ram than trying to reduce price buying 2x2GB

Virtualization for RHCE practice.

I already extend my budget (25-26K) and for now I cant extend it more.
So I'll buy config with 4GB RAM and try some Video Editing software. If require I'll buy more RAM later with GPU and monitor.

Which to buy 2*2GB or 1*4GB.....?

Should I go for this

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHZ - 9.5K
Asus P8H67-M PRO - 7.7K
4GB DDR3 1333MHz - 2.3K
1TB Seaget - 2.8K
Corsair VX450 PSU - 3.7K
CM Cabinet - 2K
DVD-RW LG/Sony - 0.95K

somulesnar

Journeyman
^^ its better if u go for a single 4gb so that u have more slots more to upgrade in future.

And for motherboard and processor-core i52400 + asus h67 mle(mobo) @ 17k wud be a gr8 choice.

Top Bottom