Confused between a 9800GTX and a HD4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason21

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a new graphics card and am confused between buying a 9800GTx and a HD4850. My requirments are that i should be able to play most(all most all:D) games at max resolution and all specs on. Which one is a better buy.

My budget is max Rs 9000.00

MY system build is(non sli mobo)
2GB ram
7300GT(currently)
generic 400watt PSU(suggest a new 500W PSU...budget rs2200 only
Samsung 22" (1650 x 1050) max non DVI

I am planning to buy next week so plz suggest. Beforehand thanks a ton:p

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Cm 460w extreme plus for 2.8k! 70% efficiency on operational temps of 40 degrees celcius. You get corsair cx400 with 80% efficiency on operational temps of 40 degrees around 3.2k-3.5k! If you are into overclocking, cx400 is a safer bet. Other then that I dont why people say ati 4850 is hot :p. Majority of the people dont bother to check ambience and other temps. System stress with bad power supplies as well. Ati scales much better than Nvidia. Comparing majority of the game benchmarks via toms hardware on ati 4850 and 9800gtx and googling about the comparison pretty much proves the point. Make sure you change the psu first if you want your system to live with the new card.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^That's only for the single slot based shoddy designs. And that my friend is a fact. Speaking from personal experience, it used to initially idle at 53 degrees with 55% fan speed & load at 66 degrees. Over a period of 2 months the temperature began to shoot up drastically & continued to add 10 degrees to the idle temp each month. That's when I looked around the net & found a boat load of people investing in a 3rd party coolers for this card. So my last recorded temp before ditching the stock cooler was 76 degrees idle & 105 degrees load.

It's mainly due to the design of the default cooler which is prone to a lot of dust choking up & ruining the air flow. It's only after I got myself an aftermarket cooler, the temps are under control. Just look around on the web & you'll find just how many people have actually given up on the stock cooler (reference models). So the best bet would be to get a Palit Sonic edition with the dual slot cooling if you're getting a HD4850.

forever

filth is me
^That's only for the single slot based shoddy designs. And that my friend is a fact. Speaking from personal experience, it used to initially idle at 53 degrees with 55% fan speed & load at 66 degrees. Over a period of 2 months the temperature began to shoot up drastically & continued to add 10 degrees to the idle temp each month. That's when I looked around the net & found a boat load of people investing in a 3rd party coolers for this card. So my last recorded temp before ditching the stock cooler was 76 degrees idle & 105 degrees load.

It's mainly due to the design of the default cooler which is prone to a lot of dust choking up & ruining the air flow. It's only after I got myself an aftermarket cooler, the temps are under control. Just look around on the web & you'll find just how many people have actually given up on the stock cooler (reference models). So the best bet would be to get a Palit Sonic edition with the dual slot cooling if you're getting a HD4850.

What cooler did you get? Im looking for one myself. Any suggestions? thanks.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Our Team Digit has tested and come up with a answer that 9800GTX is way better than Palit HD4850 and GeCube HD4850 and even ASUS EAH4850 TOP!! :rolleyes:. So look no further if you have that money to spend :D

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
They need to recheck- not that I am pointing fingers but its allready been proven nvidia always cooks something silly. Its true the 9800gtx does well on lower resolution. But ati 4850 is way ahead of 9800gt when running 4xAA or 8xAA at 1680 x 1050 shines much better. Also ati 4850 has a way better IQ then nvidia 9800gtx. Comparison Some games are cranked to work better on nvidia- like crysis. Even considering that- an nvidia cranked game like crysis still cant get it right when it comes to IQ. A visual difference can be seen here:
*www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/hd4850-review-116526-gars8.html
Manufacturers do that. Since nvidia has a history of releasing updated drives which confuses benchmarks and rebadging their cards. It is also been proven. I agree to the fact that nvidia drivers are more refined then ati. But ati regularly makes an effort to release hotfixes and drivers. Though irritating, I am pretty sure its manageable by many. Nvidia is more non technically and noob friendly compared to ati. I also agreed that at times nvidia cards are easier overclocker then Ati.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom