Configuration for 4+ Display trading station

Flake

Linux User
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: This build is for my friend and he is a Stock Trader by profession.
Machine will be used for Stock trading using Trading Software or Web Browser like Chrome or Opera. Atleast 4 displays ( size between 15 to 20 inch ) will be connected, running one Chrome or Opera or Trading software tab in each display. Displays will show TABs not separate instances of application.
I don't think that this machine will be used for Gaming but it will definitely an added bonus.
2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 1 Lac. Cheaper the better.
3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not likely but again if its vfm, then why not.
4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Dual boot, Windows 10 64 bit and Ubuntu or CentOS
5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB or more
6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: He will settle for two monitors for the time being. Size should not be more than 20 inch.
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None
8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This month only.
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will assemble it myself. I have done it before.
10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: He lives in Chandigarh. I am open for suggestion regarding buying mode too. He can visit Delhi if necessary.
11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: This machine will be used mainly for Trading Software only. Gaming etc are secondary things. He tried to connect his laptop with external display but there was some visible lag.

Thanx a lot !

nac

Aspiring Novelist
He has good enough budget but it's little vague and open to assume so many things.
With too many monitors, there are few more things to consider and I think it's better if he joins the discussion rather than you doing on his behalf.
Why he wants small size monitors? Why not big monitors and lesser units?
Up to 3 monitors, he doesn't need a dedicated GPU. But if he wants four display out, not many GPU offers that. And what does he means by "at least 4 monitors"? He intends to add more than 4 monitors? If so, how many? If he wants 4, he can get workstation gpu. But if he wants more than that, he has to either import gpu which can support up to 6 monitors and/or go for sli/crossfire option.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
I will ask him to register here and join discussion. He needs four displays only, not more than that.
Indian Stock exchange works from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm and he is going to stare :) at four displays continuously for that many hours. According to him, lesser size is better for his eyes.
Each display will show one stock/chart only. Putting more than one item per display will be like mixing two stocks.
One display = One stock selected for that day.
Arrangement will be like one main screen and three Chart/Stock screens on each side of main screen (left, right and top).

nac

Aspiring Novelist
He can buy these later when he buys the 3rd and 4th monitor.
Monitor stand
GPU
2x Monitors

If he finds smaller monitor comfortable, not a lot I can say about it.

Though Pentium build is good enough for his needs, and since he has budget I suggest i3.

This will cost about ~ 51k

i3 8100
Asus Prime B360 Plus
Corsair vengeance 8gb DDR4 2666mhz/3000mhz
Corsair CX 450w
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Cabinet of his choice - 2.5k
Logitech KB & Mouse combo
Dell E2016HV - 2 nos
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB

PS: For his needs stronger core and higher clock speed is better, so Intel suggestion.
CPU/MB doesn't support 3000mhz. Most sellers sells both 2666mhz and 3000mhz for the same price. If he can find 2666mhz cheaper, fine. Else, go for 3000mhz ram.
450w is good enough even when he adds GPU for 4 display support.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
There is a 43" 4k monitor by LG which would eliminate the need of having 4 separate monitors. You can enable PIP mode and divide it in 4 1080p parts.
I can't remember the model though.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
There is a 43" 4k monitor by LG which would eliminate the need of having 4 separate monitors. You can enable PIP mode and divide it in 4 1080p parts.
I can't remember the model though.
It's expensive, and dell's version is even more expensive.
I have juggled with that idea before for my use case. But I find the price too high.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
This will cost about ~ 51k

i3 8100
Asus Prime B360 Plus
Corsair CX 450w
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Dell E2016HV - 2 nos
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
Will this configuration be future proof? He has Dell Laptop, i3-6006U, 4GB RAM. It lags little bit on connecting to TV via HDMI port. What about Ryzen config?
I am not expert in PC Configuration and really need help here. He doesn't want to upgrade this machine for next 3 years atleast. Applications are getting heavier day by day and some Trading softwares do a lot of calculations in the background. A fews seconds lag in display could cost a lot.

Thanx a lot for your valuable suggestions.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Desktop equivalent of laptop chips are lot better. And the one he's using is a dual core chip, the one I suggested is a quad core chip. But if he thinks that most of his budget is not used and wants to spend more, feel free to spend 5k more and get i5 8400. But I highly don't think this will perform any better for his use case.

If it's "lagging" only when connecting to TV, then it's a TV/connection problem not the chip problem. Try connecting to a monitor and see if he still notices "lag". By the way, what's the TV model he's using?

As I already mentioned, Ryzen cores are not as strong as Intel and clock speed is not as high as Intel.

He's not doing anything CPU hungry. So I would very well expect this build is good enough for the next 3-5yrs, may be even for 10yrs.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
i3 8100
Asus Prime B360 Plus
Corsair CX 450w
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Dell E2016HV - 2 nos
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
Thanx a lot. I am going to finalize above configuration.

We can add two more displays now only. Which graphics is good enough for 4 displays?
We will get quote from local market this weekend and post here.
Thanx again !

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD Ryzen 5 1600-13,000
Asrock AB350 PRO4-7,400
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 8GB (1X8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHZ C16 -6,700
Kingston A400 120GB-2,000
WESTERN DIGITAL DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 1TB BLUE (WD10EZEX)-2,800
Zotac GT 710 1GB DDR3 Zone-2,600
Corsair CX450-3,400
Corsair 100R Black-2,700
LG 20MP48A-Bx2-10,000

Total 50k

nac

Aspiring Novelist
We can add two more displays now only. Which graphics is good enough for 4 displays?
This is the cheapest I can find and it's good enough. If you find any other model cheaper/better feel free to go for that option.
Pny NVIDIA QUADRO P620 2GB GDDR5 - Pascal Series Workstation Graphics Card

It comes with miniDP to DP adapter and the monitor comes with DP cable, so no need to get any extra accessories other than quad monitor stand. Just to be on the safer side, confirm it from the shop where you buy about this miniDP to DP adapter works fine with your setup.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
Thanx a lot guys ! My friend is going to New Delhi next weekend and will buy everything from there only.

i3 8100
Asus Prime B360 Plus
Corsair vengeance 8gb DDR4 2666mhz
Corsair CX 450w
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Dell E2016HV - 3 nos
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Hey! One more thing
Suggested MB has HDMI, DVI, VGA port. And the monitor has DP and VGA port. So you have to buy adapter or dp/vga to hdmi/vga/dvi cable.
You can change motherboard and/or different models of monitors to accommodate everything with native cables. But different monitors means different design and won't be seamless.

Top Bottom