Close encounter at midnight !

Do you think Killing suspected, justified?

• Yes, this is correct

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No, Police should have handled better

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Some what justified, however one of them should have been captured

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't know, which side is telling truth

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vaithy

In the zone
Encounter at midnight!!
N an early morning encounter on Thursday, five persons allegedly involved in two daring bank robberies in Chennai was shoot dead in a ‘encounter’in a gunbattle with the city police at Velachery in the early hours of Thursday.
The suspects were identified as Chandrika Rey from West Bengal, and Vinod Kumar, Vinay Prasad, Abhay Kumar and Harish Kumar from Bihar. Two of them are former students of an engineering college in the city suburbs. Police recovered five guns and bundles of cash from the suspects.
About a month before the gang struck the IOB branch at Keelkattalai, a branch of Bank of Baroda was robbed on January 23 last. The robbers took away Rs 19 lakh from BoB and Rs 14 lakh from IOB in a swift operation by holding the bank staffs and customers at gunpoint.
Two days after the gang struck a branch of Indian Overseas Bank in Keelkattalai on Monday, city police commissioner J K Tripathy had held a press conference on Wednesday to release a video of a suspect allegedly doing a recce at a nationalised bank. "With people's cooperation, we will nab them soon," he had said.
How ever questions were asked by the human right activities, is not only shocking but also baffling. Why did the police resort to the extreme step? The men holed up in the apartment were robbers, not extremists. They did not plant any bombs, kill innocent people or get involved in anti-national activities. Did the police exhaust all other options before gunning them down? Why did they not coerce them to surrender?
If such ‘encounter' deaths are encouraged, police can close all files by killing anybody and claiming that he or she was involved in a crime. We will need no courts, lawyers, and judges. A gun will do
What do you think?
When scammers are enjoying 5 star treatment in jails, why Police is too harse on unemployed youth?:-(

Last edited:

patrick4

Chief
are the students really the robbers or was the money and guns planted on them after they were shot down??

whatever the case, the cops have left no loose ends by killing all 5 of them.. god forbid one of them were to be captured and spoke the truth about the cops inability to capture the real criminals..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
What makes you think the people involved were not real criminals?

Alok

Adventurer
Our police shows bravery against robbers and what about terrorist? Why the hell they didn't encounter Kasab ??:-x
Collecting Information and clues??
So what he told??:-x

and does robbery like crimes deserves death as punish.:-x

patrick4

Chief
@skud shooting them down does not allow them to explain their side of the story.. again i am not defending them what what they have done. But every citizen has the right to a fair trail right?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
so what makes you think killing someone will solve problem?

Ajmal Kasab. ;)

Seriously though, we need to stop blaming police and government every time something happens. Its also not very practical thinking that killing someone in Kashmir is OK, and not so OK in Tamilnadu and elsewhere.

I am not taking sides, the police may very well be the main culprit in this incident, but there are times when shooting is the only way out.

And what human rights of criminals are we talking about? There shouldn't be any.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@skud shooting them down does not allow them to explain their side of the story.. again i am not defending them what what they have done. But every citizen has the right to a fair trail right?

I guess you then also support the Indian judiciary's way of handling guys like Ajmal Kasab. ;)

imo a murderer differs from a thief. So punishment differs as well.

Not much, we let both of them away with some time in jail, that is if we can catch them anyway and get them punished by a court of law. And after release, almost all of them continue with their old ways. Nothing changes. Don't you think that is also a waste of our taxes and all?

patrick4

Chief
ok then, using any kind of pirated software are also crimes which many of us commit on a daily basis.. should all these people also be shot?

drunken driving is a crime, so would it be fair if a traffic cop pulled you over and shot you?

PS: i am talking about people in general

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Driving your car over someone and killing him/her while drunk should have been.

Let the case be clear, nobody knows what has happened actually.

btw, what alternative punishment and procedure do you propose which won't waste our taxes and justice will me made properly and timely and save the lives of our security forces?

Last edited:

Tachyon1986

In the zone
Well, from CCTV footage captured during their bank heist a few months back, one of the dead has been positively identified.

Lots of loopholes in this story, the neighbours didn't hear any gunshots...hmm o_O

ganeshnokiae63

Hardcore Gamer
first of all i am in the side of police...
at first,they have a call on location of the robbers.then police arranged men to that area to clarify that.secondly,they have announced to the people to stay in the home,but people got outside to see what happens.then,they announced the robber to surrender,but they pointed the gun to police and shoot them through the windows.two of them(policemen) were wounded(one in head and other one in waist).
my views are
1)they clarified that the robbers in that house(i think its correct).
2)what the human rights commission do on the encounter?:banghead:
(so police are not human)

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
k guys those who were shot had guns with them.what if those robbers shot any of the police man?then you people don't care.you will say it was his duty.was getting shot by a criminal was his duty? In india people have a habit of abusing police regardless of what they do.what do you mean by terrorism?the one who creates terror is a terrorist.so these people robbed the bank and created terror may be if they were left they could have done more.is it right to rob the hard earned money of a man by those who were educated?do you know how many people may have suffered as they lost their money?

Sarath

iDota
I am glad none of the police were fatally injured. Secondly I am aghast that all of them died in such brutal manner.

That's all.

I would have expressed shock and awe but since police were facing armed criminals I am not going to blame them.
Maybe the police should have just called in sick and taken leave

Lastly none of us were there. All we know is just what people, police or media want us to know. So stop making assumptions and rumours.

But since people are anyways going to discuss this at length, let me ask you one ques?

How would you face an armed criminal?

Leave them, let them flee, coax, threaten them to surrender, risk your life and nab them, or use counter fire or the most aggressive, shoot without provocation?

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
^^

Let them flee: Never. Police does not has the luxury to do that.
Coax: Never Works
Threatening: Police always try it.
Risk Life & Nab: Totally Impractical
Counter Fire:If threatening does not work & they fire. Then, what other option do they have?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Let's face it, there is no point of commenting or speculating when we don't know what happened. Killing should always be the last resort anytime, but there can be many such circumstances which can force that last resort as well.

Leave them, let them flee, coax, threaten them to surrender, risk your life and nab them, or use counter fire or the most aggressive, shoot without provocation?
Have them surrounded, wherever they are and release tear gas are few of other possible techniques. (OK tear gas is for controlling crowds but any such equivalent if applicable).

Top Bottom