Choosing the Most VFM Phone | Sony Xperia P & U v/s HTC One S & V

sky770

Journeyman
Hi all,

As the subject of the post suggests..lets get started..:D shall we?:cool:

A few pointers before I hit the pedal ->

- I am trying to juice out the max. out of these 4 models as these are some of the highly anticipated phones of MWC 2012 :) and..... they are one of cheapest upcoming dual cores in the market till now. Hope it helps many :D

- Please give me your valuable inputs so that I can get my hands on the very best tech. my budget could offer me. (Although these phones will be out by April end(Xperias on 23rd april & HTCs by 2nd week of April) still it is better to decide before actually wandering the market for trying and making up your mind to buy a handset; saves time eh? :) so focusing on just a model which would ultimately become the best VFM when they hit the market. Discussion here is based on approx. price range & may not reflect the exact price in your city/state/country)

Max Budget for this thread being 20-25k INR

- We all know that HTC is known for its superior build quality but are comparatively way too expensive if compare them with their competition. As HTC's One Series is released many of us would be flocking stores to check them out but let me remind you that a VFM phone doesn't necessarily have to be of the best build quality but offer a "better" - build quality:features:performance ratio when compared to their competitors & in that same price range/tag.

- I'll be taking this as pros & cons of each phone and will more forward with the discussion with the knowledge I have gained till now(for these models), information collected through youtube video reviews/hands-on, blog posts and what not!

THIS IS NOT A SPECS LISTING!

- For individual specs please see:

Sony Xperia P Specs Whitepaper

Sony Xperia U Specs Whitepaper

HTC One S

HTC One V

- I'll be updating this post later on with pics and a proper formatting (eye candies :D)

- Please contribute and advice as I am sure many TDF members/guests would be flocking to this article (MODs need your help; Sam..:))
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Xperia P

Pros:
- back panel is made up of alluminium; looks pretty neat & solid :D
- heard Mali GPUs onboard
- 4.0" Display with: Sony WhiteMagic technology, Reality display, Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine & the Timescape UI :)
- an 8MP cam with an exmor lens is sure to capture awesome clarity! Fast capture is there (sleep to click pics in just 2 secs!)
- shatter proof coated scratch resistant glass (need this as no Gorilla glass)
- xLoud + 3D surround sound :)
- adreno 205 (its the DB8500, likes of ~Mali 400?) :|
- red color looks damn sexy :D

Cons:
- 16GB storage (13 GB user-available)
- no Micro SD card slot
- approx cost around 24-25k ?

Sony Xperia U

Pros:
- heard Mali GPUs onboard
- 3.5" Display with: Reality display, Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine & the Timescape UI :| Display is on a bit high when comparing the ppi (pixels per inch) of Xperia P :p
- @ 280ppi it has got a damn sweet display! :p
- 5MP cam exmor lens? (not sure) but fast capture is there (sleep to click pics in just 2 secs!)
- custom equalizer + xLoud + 3D surround sound :D :p

Cons:
- back panel is made up of plastic/rubberized material (polycarbonate?); looks :-?
- 8GB storage (6 GB user-available; out of which 2GB is for apps & left 4GB is for pics/songs/vids etc. stuff)
- scratch resistant glass (may or may not be shatter proof | also no gorilla glass & thats just too sad for a phone having an awesome display)
- no Micro SD card slot
- approx cost around 17-19k ?

HTC One S

Pros:
- looks absolutely solid and is one the slimmest built droids ever :D
- the Adreno "225" GPU ? now from where does this comes from? :shock:
- gorilla glass
- beats audio :D

Cons:
- no micro SD card slot
- approx cost around 30k ?
- 16GB storage (user-available ?)

HTC One V

Pros:
- build is pretty neat and looks solid at this price point
- beats audio

Cons:
- the chin at bottom of capacitive buttons; looks ugly and waste of space :|
- no front facing cam
- no gorilla glass (may or may not be)
- 4GB storage (user-available ?)
- approx cost around 17-18k ? Listed on various online merchant sites (for ~17.5k on saholic:) check here)
As this budget range is quite comnon so let us all put our valuable inputs so that we all can get our hands on the very best technology.

Note: As most of you might have understood that I am way too much interested in getting the juice out of my purchase..well yes it is. Since we don't buy phones daily in times like these.. in which technology is dirt cheap(not for indians) and is on a change almost every month so here I am getting the best VFM phone for myself and helping felllow TDF member :)

Thanks,
sky770

Last edited:

skyend

Right off the assembly line
Sony Xperia P

Cons:
- 16GB storage (13 GB user-available)
- no Micro SD card slot
- still adreno 205? :/
- approx cost around 24-25k ?

sky770

eh, it has a ST-Ericcson U8500 SoC which contains DB8500 GPU which is comparable to the likes of mali-400 present in exynos of the galaxy s2 ( slightly underclocked than mail-400 )

p.s dont you think, a MICRO-SIM slot is also a disadvantage as only airtel and aircel provide micro sims in India and otherwise you just have to pick up a knive and size it down by yourself :mrgreen::mrgreen:

kishangupta

Broken In
HTC One V

Cons:
- no Micro SD card slot

sky770

I think this (HTC One V) has micro sd slot. I checked at many sites, it has ( supported ax to 32 GB)

I am now confused between Sony Xperia u and HTC One V??? ( I can afford for these two only). I am also interested to know which one is better?

p.s dont you think, a MICRO-SIM slot is also a disadvantage as only airtel and aircel provide micro sims in India and otherwise you just have to pick up a knive and size it down by yourself :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Which model have Micro Sim???

skyend

Right off the assembly line
I think this (HTC One V) has micro sd slot. I checked at many sites, it has ( supported ax to 32 GB)

I am now confused between Sony Xperia u and HTC One V??? ( I can afford for these two only). I am also interested to know which one is better?
yes, htc one v has expandable memory upto 32 GB.
the xperia U has a better screen than one v although you cannot expand the 4gb internal storage by micro sd card
xperia u has a front facing camera while one v doesnt have it
xperia u has a dual core cpu with better GPU than the single core cpu of htc one v

thus, if you can live with 4 GB of internal space on xperia U, i'll say go for it.
otherwise htc one v is the phone for you :)
Which model have Micro Sim???

oops, my bad, the xperia S has micro sim...its nowhere mentioned xperia p,u have those too :oops:

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
oops, my bad, the xperia S has micro sim...its nowhere mentioned xperia p,u have those too :oops:

fellas, any OEM won't release a handset which its customers are not able to use; + the Xperia P would be way too expensive for a common man :shock:

So.... :D they sure would be getting the standard sized SIM card slot for both the Xperia U & P (also confirmed it through each phone's developer's specs whitepaper) :)

relax..

HTC one V does have a SD card . :D my bad just corrected it above :p

bhaskar

Broken In
Is there any slight probability that the Xperia P will be available at around 20k somewhere(online store with offers or retailers) say after 1-2 months of its launch... Really want to buy this phone but cant spend more than 20k on a phone:cry: . Already extended budget from 18k.:|

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
Is there any slight probability that the Xperia P will be available at around 20k somewhere(online store with offers or retailers) say after 1-2 months of its launch... Really want to buy this phone but cant spend more than 20k on a phone:cry: . Already extended budget from 18k.:|

well..srry but ..i dont think so bro.. 20k or less than 20k for a phone having hardware like xperia P (IMO screen and body build being the most expensive of Xperia P :mrgreen:) even after 1-2 months would hardly cross below 20k :|

Though it may come from say if its 25k at launch time then it may come at around 22.5-23k ATLEAST that too after 2-3 months (probably more) after its launch

..so I guess you'll hafta wait pretty long for it to become less than 20k INR:|

aroraanant

Explorer
There is no new that when One S will launch, and One V will be there in market in a couple of weeks and same is the case for Xperia U and P.
Let the phones come in market, then we will decide which one is the best according to the cost.
But if we look at the specs then Xperia P looks the best, but it will be priced around 20k, I don't think it will be available at a lesser price than that though we can expected a higher price tag at the starting.

reddead

LoSt!
There is no new that when One S will launch, and One V will be there in market in a couple of weeks and same is the case for Xperia U and P.
Let the phones come in market, then we will decide which one is the best according to the cost.
But if we look at the specs then Xperia P looks the best, but it will be priced around 20k, I don't think it will be available at a lesser price than that though we can expected a higher price tag at the starting.

no.....HTC one S will be launched in may, its official
HTC one S to launch in may

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Xperia U has 4GB FIXED storage. So Sucks for me

HTC One V is UGLY

There, no 15k phone for me, this wait was pointless and not worth it honestly

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman

rather..you should've said it would be around 25k :D

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
25k will not be justified I think as Xperia S will be priced for ~30k at the launch and its price will decrease after some time of the launch, so 25k for Xperia P will be huge

OP
sky770

sky770

Journeyman
^^^^
25k will not be justified I think as Xperia S will be priced for ~30k at the launch and its price will decrease after some time of the launch, so 25k for Xperia P will be huge

Xperia U wont b any lesser than 17k (atleast for 1-2 months period after initial launch date) IMHO and at the time of launch shud be around 17-18.5k :-D

so Xperia P has all the right to atleast come at around 24.5k at the time of launch and won't b coming down any lesser than 22.5-23.5k even after a gap of 2-3 months :|

That being said.. dual cores will b flooding the market & after a total of 3 months prices will come down since quad cores will be released simultaneously.(+ dont forget taxes just got increased :evil: so.. :| total RP for end customer will go up :( for newly released phones)

ajaymailed

In the zone
Xperia U wont b any lesser than 17k (atleast for 1-2 months period after initial launch date) IMHO and at the time of launch shud be around 17-18.5k :-D

so Xperia P has all the right to atleast come at around 24.5k at the time of launch and won't b coming down any lesser than 22.5-23.5k even after a gap of 2-3 months :|

That being said.. dual cores will b flooding the market & after a total of 3 months prices will come down since quad cores will be released simultaneously.(+ dont forget taxes just got increased :evil: so.. :| total RP for end customer will go up :( for newly released phones)
Xperia U pricing at 18K would gr8 except for its 3.5 inch display. all other phones at range have bigger display.

Xperia P is gonna fight it out with Galaxy S Advance, HTC One S etc if priced around 22K.

although it has got 12 MP Cam, Xperia S disadvantage is it shares the same hw as Sensation/Galaxy S II which are getting replaced by quad-core phones.

Sony is late in entering dual core phone market. Its more than an year since Optimus 2X was released.

Sony is packing too much into too small and too less in too big.:lol:
Xperia U- a dual core Cortex A9 with Maali 400MP in a 3.5 inch display.
Xperia Arc S- a single core scorpion with 512 MB RAM in a 4.2 inch display.

need not mention about their 1 Ghz Single core ARMv7 CPUs with a 3 inch display.

Top Bottom