choosing DSLR - Nikon/Canon @ <32K

sujoyp

Grand Master
@r4gs...thanks for reminding me about moon shots:razz:

u say full frame takes better pic..thats correct but the cropped sensor increase the magnification ...isnt so...like 18mm on cropped sensor become 18*1.5 = 27mm or 300mm becomes 450mm..

Doesnt range increase in cropped sensor...kindly clarify

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@faun: sorry, can't post the pics! I use a canon 50e, which means i use film and i've never bothered to get it scanned.
Also, to take pics of the moon, try using a spot meter and underexpose your shots in half stops till you get the detail. Simple rule of thumb, if the image is washed out and too bright, underexpose! :)
One problem with shooting the moon is that the haze in the atmosphere can make everything blurry.

Yeah underexposure should do the trick.

r4gs

In the zone
@sujoyp: in terms of canon lenses, canon ef lenses are actually designed for full frame sensors and 35mm film, ef-s lenses are for cropped sensor cameras. Using an ef lens on a crop sensor camera will result in an effective magnification by a factor of 1.6 relative to a full frame sensor. This is because the entire usable image from a full frame lens is not projected on a crop sensor, this is why there seems to be a magnification. I think this is also because the sensor of a cropped sensor camera is actually closer to the lens or something. Not sure on this point.

Basically, if a projected subject is 1cm high, it will be 1cm high on a full frame or cropped sensor. On a cropped sensor it seems larger as the sensor is smaller.

Also, a full frame sensor doesn't take better pictures, it only takes images with more detail and lower noise. Good pictures can be made with any camera and any lens.

Sounava

In the zone
@sounava: the sensors in dslrs like the d3100 or canon 550d use sensors that are actually smaller than that of 35mm film. A camera with a sensor the size of a 35mm film is called a full frame slr.
My statement was only in reference to the photo i mentioned where the magpie was barely a cm high. The cheaper slrs usually lose out on detail owing to the small sensor size, even if it has a high megapixel count, if you have to crop that much.
Cropping, in general, is not a problem no matter what camera you use, be it a point and shoot or an slr.
I know about APS-C and FF sensors. I only asked about the explanation to the statement of yours I quoted above - "Unless you have a full frame slr, there really won't be any point in cropping." Also, I kind of do not agree to what you say here. APS-C does not necessarily mean "cheap". And "entry level" DSLR does not necessarily mean it will lose out on detail because the sensor size in not 35mm. Do remember that D300s which costs 1lakh rupees is an APS-C camera and D5000 and D90 uses the same sensor. Before the D7000 came out that sensor was the best APS-C sensor, a spot now occupied by D7000. D5100 also uses the same sensor as D7000, the the D300s successor will also have the same sensor.
In the Canon field, EOS 7D is one of the best APS-C DSLR ever.
Anyway, moving to something technical -

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4446&stc=1&d=1303217570

See the illustration I created above. Suppose for sake of simplicity of explanation you are using an FX lens. You see the image circle which the lens will create and how the FF sensor is positioned edge to edge to the circle. Now imagine using the same FX lens on a crop sensor camera and all other image parameters remain same (position of the camera, focal lenght et al). Then since the sensor is smaller than a FF sensor, a "crop" of the actual image will fall on this sensor. That is why these sensors are called crop sensors and that is why phrases like "equivalent field of view", "focal length multiplier of 1.5" etc comes up.
So what is the net result? In a sense, you are getting a "crop" of whatever image you would have got from a FF.
But look at the bright side - The bird is now occupying a much larger area of the smaller sensor, whereas in the FF sensor, the bird is occupying a much smaller area.
So, the bird will appear larger on the cropped sensor than on the full frame. That is why a 200mm lens is said to give an equivalent field of view of 200x1.5=300mm in a crop sensor.
Now your objective is to crop the picture so that only the bird occupies the whole image. So in a FF you will have to crop more than in a APS-C. But the end result is the same - the bird occupies the whole image.

Q. Ok fine, but where does the number of pixels come into the equation?
Ans: Suppose you are comparing a FF camera with 12MP vs a APS-C camera of 12MP. So density of pixels in the latter sensor is more than in the FF sensor. When you crop to get only the image of the bird in the frame, the crop from the APS-C will ultimately have more pixels than the equivalent one from the FF. Of course comparisons will differ when the sensors have different megapixel count.
What is this hoopla regarding megapixels all about?
In general, more megapixels should amount to more details in a picture. But that is not always the case. In case of point and shoots, the sensors are "tiny" and by tiny I mean 6mmX4mm. Yup that small. Now if you pack 14 million pixels into such a small space, the individual pixels will have to be really small. They become so small that they individually can hardly capture enough photons to send "clear" signals of its own to the image processor. There is also some kind of "overlapping" of signals. So the images taken in point and shoots are not "sharp" in the true sense of the word when viewed at 100%. This escalates when the ISO is increased. ISO is nothing like amplifier - It amplifies the signals already received. So too much ISO leads to noise just as too much amplifying a sound signal leads to distortion.
If the sensor is large, the individual pixels are themselves large, they each occupy significant amount of photons and supply enough information to the processor to process the image. Result - clean and nice images with excellent colour rendition and almost no noise. Now this is already true in case of APS-C's. The images are really sharp. Nowadays technology have advanced so much that the new cameras produce noise free images even @ ISO 3200.
Ofcourse, if you use a cheap lens, you will really find that the images are not sharp at all. But this is true when the lenses are used with Full frames as well. Those cheap lenses simply do not have the resolving power to effectively take the advantage of these sensors. In this era, sharpness of an image in a DSLR, be it APS-C or be it FF, depends only on the lens. Period. The technology has advanced that much.

So where is the advantage of FF cameras? Why do they cost a bomb?
1. Stellar high ISO performance for the reasons mentioned earlier. Images taken in ISO 6400 will look like they were taken in ISO 400 with respect to noise.
2. Some really shallow depth of field work. (Can explain about this if asked by someone).
3. High dynamic range of the sensor.
4. Excellent focus systems
5. Weather shielded body
6. Stellar continuous shooting mode (like say 11fps).
7. Pro features (excellent flash commander mode for example).
8. The viewfinder! Once you see with this viewfinder, you will cry when using a entry level camera's viewfinder :razz:
9. Sharp images (though it does not mean that APS-C images are not sharp)
10. Many more such features.

Nowadays DSLR users have become so sensitive, that topmost priority of manufacturers is image quality. When they increase the pixel count in a DSLR, they do so only when they are sure that the technology they possess will give better results than the previous generation sensor. In DLSRs, at the present age, more pixels = less sharp or noisier image do not hold true.

But beware of point and shoot - This market is consumer gimmick oriented. They pack more pixels because "aam admi" thinks that more pixels = better camera. But the results come out actually worse when viewed at 100%. Thats why higher end point and shoots like Canon S95 or G12 have not gone for the megapixel spree (16MP) and uses modest megapixels. But in point and shoots also, there can be voices in support of more megapixels - After all, more pixels = more information. More information = better resized pictures, better overall noise reduction. I said noise "reduction" - the camera processor (or any Post processing software like lightroom) will be more efficient in reducing the overall noise of an image the more is the number of pixels. Of course, more number of pixels will mean worse performance with respect to per pixel noise. But when noise reduction is applied the applied result will be better. If all you do is upload the image on Facebook or take small prints like 6x4 inches, you will actually find the newer cameras performing better even thought when viewed at 100% they look definitely worse.

So what is the gist?
1. I do not agree with the statement regarding cropping
2. I pointed out the basic differences between APS-C and FF and the advantages of going towards FF with some references from point and shoots thrown in.

Sounava

In the zone
Oh I see that around 5 replies were posted while I was writing the above reply! :razz:

u say full frame takes better pic..thats correct but the cropped sensor increase the magnification ...isnt so...like 18mm on cropped sensor become 18*1.5 = 27mm or 300mm becomes 450mm..

Doesnt range increase in cropped sensor...kindly clarify
My reply above will clarify your doubts to some extent I guess. Do ask if you have more doubts.

Using an ef lens on a crop sensor camera will result in an effective magnification by a factor of 1.6 relative to a full frame sensor. This is because the entire usable image from a full frame lens is not projected on a crop sensor, this is why there seems to be a magnification.
It is not actually 1.6 times magnification. The field of view gets reduced in the situation you said here and the focal length of 1.6 times the actual one is found to give an equivalent field of view.

I think this is also because the sensor of a cropped sensor camera is actually closer to the lens or something. Not sure on this point.
No actually it is the other way round. When you use lenses specifically made for cropped sensors (EF-S), the rear element of the lens goes more towards the sensor than the rear element of an EF lens would.

Basically, if a projected subject is 1cm high, it will be 1cm high on a full frame or cropped sensor. On a cropped sensor it seems larger as the sensor is smaller.
Nopz. If a 1cm object appears 1cm on a full frame sensor it means a 1:1 macro lens is being used at its maximum magnification power. This is not true in general.

Also, a full frame sensor doesn't take better pictures, it only takes images with more detail and lower noise. Good pictures can be made with any camera and any lens.
Correct with the noise part. I explained it in the longish reply before reading this line of yours. But a full frame sensor takes better pictures in the sense of having more dynamic range and more accurate colour reproduction. I guess sharpness is not a factor in case of sensors. It all depends on the lens. Some years back sensors were responsible for lack of sharpness though.

r4gs

In the zone
well, i did say, in effect, that full frame sensors are only cleaner in my previous post.

Please bear in mind that when i say cheap, they really are cheap. I never said anything about quality. Eg, canon's 50mm f1.8 is cheap, barely 5k, but it is extremely sharp and one of the best lenses in that focal length. My film slr was free, a gift and probably not worth more than rs2k now, however with the right film, i can even get 5foot prints and 25mp scans.

As i said earlier, cropping was only in reference to that particular image.
Also, you've got to decide for yourself what works for you. Try out the cameras, see which one you like. If you can take good photos, you'll take them with any camera.
For my use, i usually enlarge to 8x10 prints, sometimes greater and for those purposes i find cropping to such a large extent rather inconvenient on cropped sensors.

Very good explanation by the way. Is there any chance you can explain the depth of field point?

regarding the 1cm thing, you've pointed out exactly the same thing in your diagram. I'm talking about the projected image on the sensor, not about the fact that the subject is 1cm in height.

Sounava

In the zone
well, i did say, in effect, that full frame sensors are only cleaner in my previous post.
Yes and I said 5 replies were made when I was writing my reply and I didn't see those until after I posted the reply :razz:

Please bear in mind that when i say cheap, they really are cheap. I never said anything about quality. Eg, canon's 50mm f1.8 is cheap, barely 5k, but it is extremely sharp and one of the best lenses in that focal length.
Yup agreed. But please bear in mind that by cheap I meant cheap lenses like Sigma 70-300 DG Macro.
Prime lenses are simplistic to make and are usually really sharp than zoom counterparts. Ofcourse don't take into account the pro lenses like 70-200 2.8 VRII from Nikon or 70-200 2.8 L IS from Canon. Their sharpness can be said to equal to primes :razz:

My film slr was free, a gift and probably not worth more than rs2k now, however with the right film, i can even get 5foot prints and 25mp scans.
Now from where did film SLR's come into the discussion? All the discussion here is pertaining to DSLRs. They cannot be compared to film cameras.

For my use, i usually enlarge to 8x10 prints, sometimes greater and for those purposes i find cropping to such a large extent rather inconvenient on cropped sensors.
What I meant to say is, if you find cropping inconvenient on cropped sensors, it will be inconvenient on full frames too. Infact you are cropping out a larger portion from a full frame than a cropped sensor. (see the illustration)

Very good explanation by the way. Is there any chance you can explain the depth of field point?
Thank you :)
Yes I will explain the depth of field thing in details, but probably next Tuesday as I have exams round the corner and goto study.

regarding the 1cm thing, you've pointed out exactly the same thing in your diagram. I'm talking about the projected image on the sensor, not about the fact that the subject is 1cm in height.
Oh I actually skipped the word "projected" somehow. Sorry.

r4gs

In the zone
umm, when you said cheap, you were referring to slrs, specifically the crop sensor ones vs full frame. That is what my post was in reference to and i suppose my lens example confused you. That is, also, why i mentioned film slrs as they're cheap, but still good. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Actually, you are absolutely right about the cropping. I'm just so used to shooting film that the field of view point escaped me entirely. :p

One point with reference to the depth of field, isn't it true that a lens will have the same depth of field at a given focal length and aperture, but that it has an apparently shallower depth of field on a full frame sensor owing to the field of view?

Sounava

In the zone
Actually, you are absolutely right about the cropping. I'm just so used to shooting film that the field of view point escaped me entirely. :p
Hehe :p

One point with reference to the depth of field, isn't it true that a lens will have the same depth of field at a given focal length and aperture, but that it has an apparently shallower depth of field on a full frame sensor owing to the field of view?
Depth of field = f(focal length, aperture, distance of subject from the focal point of the lens, distance of the background from the subject in focus)

So basically, take two cameras - one full frame and one crop sensor, put them side by side, use same lenses at same settings and shoot the same subject. You will get the same depth of field. But field of view will be different because of the crop factor.

But you will hear people saying full frame bodies produce shallower depth of field than crop sensors. This is true in the following viewpoint -

Take two cameras - one full frame and one crop sensor. Use the same lens, same settings and shoot the same subject, keeping the same composition and field of view. Then, to get the same field of view and compostion, crop sensor users will have to move back from the position where the full frame camera user is standing. Click the pictures. You will see two same compositions and same image and lens settings, but shallower depth of field in the full frame's image. This is because depth of field is directly proportional to the distance of the subject from the focal point. So for the crop sensor camera, object distance being more, depth of field is more.

Top Bottom