changing path of installed programs...possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishaan

Padawan
hi

i got lottsa stuff installed in my C: and now im thinking...is there ne software or anything wich enables me to transfer these installed programs into D: ?

for example if i have quake 3 arena installed on C:, can i sumhow transfer it to D: ?

without uninstalling obviously, keeping all the settings same ?

i dont think its possible but mebe u guys no a way

also, normally wen u install stuff, the path says C:\program files\blah blah

is there any way so that by default only it always diaplays D: ?

thanks

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
In System Mechanic Pro theres a feature for Relocating Software a.k.a the one u are talking about, i dunno how that works but it deals with some registry editing...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
If i remember correctly, there was an option of this sort in system mechanic. Check that out. You can also manually edit all registry settings.

sakumar79

Technomancer
There are a few software that help you shift apps from one drive to another such as Application Mover at *www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm. I think they will take a lot of time depending on the size of used space (I believe they go through the registry and all the files to find links to your apps and then revise them). The software I have mentioned above is shareware and is limited to 10 uses in trial... Dont think there are freeware. There is another software called COA32 (Change of Address/32) which is available at *ftp.iasi.roedu.net/os/Win9x/util/coa32.zip but there is not much info i could find (appears old and works with Win95 and WinNT only), but there is a new shareware version called COA2 that works upto Win2k available at *www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,960882,00.asp

In Win9x, you can use TweakUI to change default location of various folders including Program Files... In WinXP this feature does not include Program Files, so you have to manually change it afaik... There is something I havent tried in WinXP - check for the entry in regedit that goes like this: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and change the value of ProgramFilesDir key... and also possibly the environment variable %ProgramFiles%. Would advise you to make a system restore point first before trying it out.

Arun

anandk

Distinguished Member
i have used system mechanic to relocate software successfully, and without problems, so try it. (i use winxp/sp2)
www.iolo.com

ps : during installation it chooses the path as the one where ur os is installed, hence 'c'. always change the path to some other drive, manually. the lesser on ur 'c' drive the better.

sakumar79

Technomancer
There seems to be a freeware after all (though only upto Win2k). Check out *www.woundedmoon.org/win32/moveit11.html

Arun

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
ishaan said:
also, normally wen u install stuff, the path says C:\program files\blah blah

is there any way so that by default only it always diaplays D: ?
Yes! There is a way :D

Open regedit and nevigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

In right-side pane, u'll see 2 keys, named:

ProgramFilesDir
ProgramFilesPath

Change their values to ur desired value, i.e., D:\

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
tht sys mech5 thing doesnt work folks , i have tried it
and moreover it takes an awefull to of time too

so thts a total waste !!!

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
wow thanks every1...i will try sys mech soon

and Vishal Gupta...that registry thing worked thanks dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom