Change from Chinese windows back to English interface in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
My Uncle recently brought Thinkpad for me on his trip to china a gift but its display is Chinese.
lenovo Thinkpad R61i which comes with Vista Home Basic

How do i change it to English?

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Microsoft.com said:
if your edition of Windows supports MUI. MUI packs are only available in Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Enterprise.
:(
Windows Vista Help: Install a display language

slugger

Banned
apparently it is possible on Home basic also

Steps to follow:
1. Download the MUI for your target language. - In my case target language was Korean and original lang. was English
2. Extract files into some temporary folder
3. Search and copy manually files for the following paths AND sub paths
C:\Windows\kr-KO\ & all subfolders (identify also the number for the specific language you are looking for. example 1033 for en_US.
C:\Windows\System32\kr-KO\ & all subfolders
C:\Program Files\ (e.g C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\ with all GUI related files)
4. Rename Registry key value (since I couldn't find this from Lang. option in Control Panel)
FROM
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\en_US
TO
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages\kr_KO
5. Reboot

SOURCE

Install a display language- Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Windows Vista Language Interface Pack (LIP) for x86-based Systems

Windows Vista LIPs provide a translated version of the most widely used areas of the user interface. LIPs are freely available for download on the Microsoft website , and most LIPs can be installed and used on any edition of Windows Vista. Because not all of the user interface is translated, LIPs require at least one parent language. The parts of the user interface that are not translated into the LIP language are displayed in the parent language. When you download a LIP, you are given the parent language requirements for that language. The parent language pack needs to be installed before the LIP can be installed.

*beqiraj.com/windows/vista/32-bit/language-interface-pack/index.asp

direct link - Windows Vista 32 Bit Ultimate & Enterprise Language Pack - English (US)
[252MB]

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I need links to Windows Vista Multilingual User Interface Pack as Language Interface Pack(LIP) partially converts Interface.
If anyone is using windows ultimate then please Upload it.

I do know how a simple language change is classified as a ultimate feature, is not available in Home editions.
I find this strange:|

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Hope your problem is resolved ;)
yeah, but will downloading & installing Multilingual User Interface Pack make my copy as pirated or illegal ?

As i own a fully licensed OEM copy of Vista

Why the heck a user can't do a language change, even it can be done in XP

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Give it a shot. I don't think there's nothing illegal. MS is just stupid not to give language packs :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom