Cellphone: Should I get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
After all that I've done in trying to ignore the existence of a cellphone, it was inevitable that I had to come round and question myself, Should I get one?

It has been bothering me for a while actually. I keep on having to borrow a cellphone from friends to send a message or make a 'missed call' when I'm in a fix. There have been times that I had wished I had a cellphone (I recently missed a dinner involving Tiger Prawns and other such expensive goodies cause Mom couldn't contact me).

But then again my mind tells me not to get into this for fear of turning into a Cellphone Junkie. I've seen many who were sane at first have now become nothing more than ill mannered junkies. It is irritating to find that someone else who has dialled your number gets more importance than who he is talking to in person. Can't have a decent conversation these days. And then there are those who come with you but are in mind somewhere else (through this stupid cellphone). I hate these people. And I'm afraid of hating myself.

I am still confused as to what to do. If someone has a powerful argument for or against, please express your opinion.

netarget

Broken In
He.. Heh.
Are you serious about this?
I would say go get youself one, but only if it will aid and assist you to make your life easier.

Many people find themselves in a tangle after going mobile. Seriously, they ended up doing more jobs and committing themselves more and goes around just cursing their inventor of Mobile phones. Because they can be reached anywhere anytime (even in bathrooms) and they cannot live without it. SImply put, it is a living hell.

But they comprise only a selective few lakhs of people. Not all.

People simply do not understand 'TELEPHONE CONVERSATION ETIQUETTE'. No mannerism in this aspect for most mobile users. If you go mobile, do stick to it, please.

And as we can see it, a mobile phone is no more just a device to make and receive calls. Its a lot lot more. See if you fit in this category of people who use their phones every now and then.

So, after all this, my sincere advice would be to go for it especially now, as there are a lot of lifetime offers from TATA, AIRTEL etc.,
Use it restrictively, politely, and only when required.

As for your fears of going insane :)... they are on your hands. Nobody else can control it.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Cell phones are banned in Engg colleges in TN (save IIT M), just because the students "waste their quality time" on cell phones. Camera phones were banned after the DPS incident.

Ok, just for thr sake of supporting Cell phones..
There is more to the use of Cell phones, I listen to FM, sending SMSes (from KBC to cricket scores to check your results, it's damn useful), cameras in phone (1.3mp is common these days)..
Now see I am not talking abt the "advanced" features like BT,IRDa, EDGe, PTT, MMS, mobile ebooks, etc..

I am moving this to mobile sections as this thread may get deleted due to inactivity.

Moved to Mobile Monsters

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I guess I'll go in for one then.

Most probably one of those samsung clamshell phones. No camera please.

I just hope I don't become one who I hate....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well goobimama just resist the urge of using cell for every small thing. Whenever I feel like I am starting to get addicted to cell phone I just leave it at home for a few days.
Well, cell also has advantages of keeping you connected with friends and getting all the latest news of what happening in the college and amongst your friends which no news channel will ever cover, Besides, there are many other advantages as drgrudge said. You should go for one. But, always remember technology is a good servant but a bad master.
About the selection of cell phone. Nokia would be my ideal choice if I were in ur place. Mainly because if I decide one month down the line that now I don't need a cell phone then nokia will fetch me the best resale price. Also, IMO nokia has the most toughest builds amongst the cell phones I've seen. But, there's no harm in any other company's phone whatsoever. HTey do offer gr8 features at better prices.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
u can afford 1 its so cheap going for 1 is ok but limit urself to mp3 and decent stuff else u will be the headline someday(hope u understand brother)

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I got it! i Got it! I got it!

The Nokia 6030 won the war against the Samsung X200....

Thanks a lot guys.

Milind

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
Which service and plan?
BTW i'll advise u to buy some product to avoid those harmful transmissions.

mehulved

Thats gr8 goobimama. Now, use it carefully and wisely don't get carried away. Now, the real story starts - the bills, the untimely calls, the tempations. :p

sanzay

Broken In
Well cellphones have more or less become a neccessity.You need that to be connected and available....read accessible always.
So, as all things,cellphones too have the good and the bad side.
But,the ultimate decision is always yours!!

mehulved

Hey sanzay check the dates b4 posting. This thread is over an month old and I guess didn't require any more replies.

sanzay

Broken In
Ummmmmmm........i posted bcoz d thread was open!!!
You are right in stating that the thread shud be locked when no more required.
So,nobody's going to post as I did and no policing wud be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom