CD / DVDs / Huge softwares for school - Please suggest

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
I put a suggestion in my school's Orkut community that, we (Alumni) will help the school making a Disk library. That is collection of DVD / CDs (of course all legal and suitable for age 12 - 15). Basically, the school is having about 20 -25 PCs now I think, but they do not have internet connection. They use dial-up but that also very rarely. So most of the things they have = given by education department and nothing much.

I am planning to contribute like various distros, freeware collections etc. Most magazine carries Distros and I can download (on 512 kbps now) too. I downloaded Wikipedia as well.

Any other softwares / CDs / DVDs you can think of ? Anything useful and good for the students will do. Main idea is to get max from internet as that is not possible at school. Also, if anything need much updates online, can't give them too.

Please leave your suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Re: CD / DVDs / Huge softwares for shcool - Please suggest

Some Linux Distros of course :) Might want to include distros like EduBuntu or something similar for educational purposes. Didn't Digit give out some Encyclopedia thing in one of its editions. I'm not sure if that is freely distributable but you might want to check.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
I do not remember the exact link

But I think it is *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download

Total 9 files (7 Zip format), total 7.19 GB (compressed vol)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
@KumarMohit : Check this out *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download

Sorry , I was late :D

I recomend you make apt on cd packages of good and useful software.

Kalzium, periodic table of elements, dr geo math tool, celestina, kstars, molecules viewer, blender, inkscape, etc will be good.

adi007

Youngling
I do not remember the exact link

But I think it is *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download

Total 9 files (7 Zip format), total 7.19 GB (compressed vol)

Ok...But how to use them
I think those are SQL databases and we need to add a query or design a webpage to do so..
Am i right.?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
That is not an XP only solution. All its doing is run a Wiki over a HTTP server via MediaWiki. Easier on *nix than Windows :)

But anyway what that article is about is just to run your own Wiki, not Wikipedia. Someone googled well but forgot to read >_>

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
That is not an XP only solution. All its doing is run a Wiki over a HTTP server via MediaWiki. Easier on *nix than Windows :)

But anyway what that article is about is just to run your own Wiki, not Wikipedia. Someone googled well but forgot to read >_>

ok ok....now googled it right

Install Wikipedia For Offline Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom