Career in Linux?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Guys,

I am working in Infosys with 4 years experience. I have been in the same shitty production support project since my initiation. However, now that i have less workload, i am really enjoying shell scripting and learning about Unix shell. Sometimes i get very much engrossed and for the first time, i am really enjoying something in the IT Sector. I wanted to know from others( especially ratul) what are the options in Unix development and how feasible it is for a guy like me ( in production support from start) to be able to land a good job in this field. I know i am being very vague , but if someone can give me some general idea like what are the exciting job prospects in linux field, it will be very helpful. I am basically at a very confused stage of life right now job wise and would really appreciate any kind of input.

ratul

█████████████████
Hi Guys,

I am working in Infosys with 4 years experience. I have been in the same shitty production support project since my initiation. However, now that i have less workload, i am really enjoying shell scripting and learning about Unix shell. Sometimes i get very much engrossed and for the first time, i am really enjoying something in the IT Sector. I wanted to know from others( especially ratul) what are the options in Unix development and how feasible it is for a guy like me ( in production support from start) to be able to land a good job in this field. I know i am being very vague , but if someone can give me some general idea like what are the exciting job prospects in linux field, it will be very helpful. I am basically at a very confused stage of life right now job wise and would really appreciate any kind of input.

yeah, shell scripting is awesome, and once you start using it the right way, it really helps in the daily tasks.. :razz:
many companies i see actually just needs experience in IT sector, few want specific experience, but many just want on-paper experience in IT, you have that, so you have vast array of opportunities in your hand now..
Just scripting and unix shell could atmost land you a Linux/Unix/System Admin job, for that some certifications will be good to back up your knowledge (RHCE would be a good start)..
I would recommend to keep shell scripting as a secondary skill, and merge it with some primary skill, like if you are good at virtualization, you could be a VMWare consultant, or if you combine it with Infosec stuff, like writing your own exploit tools, you could land a penetration tester job, most of the more technical jobs (apart from coding) do require a good hands on linux and shell scripting helps in landing the interview, be prepared for the questions like "What tools or scripts you have written?" during the interview.. :)
Google some opportunities with Shell Scripting skills, see if you find something you are good at, and work on that to make it your primary skill, scope is vast with 4 years of experience.. :)

OP
srkmish

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah, shell scripting is awesome, and once you start using it the right way, it really helps in the daily tasks.. :razz:
many companies i see actually just needs experience in IT sector, few want specific experience, but many just want on-paper experience in IT, you have that, so you have vast array of opportunities in your hand now..
Just scripting and unix shell could atmost land you a Linux/Unix/System Admin job, for that some certifications will be good to back up your knowledge (RHCE would be a good start)..
I would recommend to keep shell scripting as a secondary skill, and merge it with some primary skill, like if you are good at virtualization, you could be a VMWare consultant, or if you combine it with Infosec stuff, like writing your own exploit tools, you could land a penetration tester job, most of the more technical jobs (apart from coding) do require a good hands on linux and shell scripting helps in landing the interview, be prepared for the questions like "What tools or scripts you have written?" during the interview.. :)
Google some opportunities with Shell Scripting skills, see if you find something you are good at, and work on that to make it your primary skill, scope is vast with 4 years of experience.. :)

Thanks for the encouragement ratul :) . Actually i learnt some basic shell scripting commands and whenever i am stuck i google or browse unix forums for solution. So my approach has been trial and error learning till now. Can you recommend some good learning materials so that i can learn from scratch and get a good fundamental grasp on scripting and linux architecture.

ratul

█████████████████
Thanks for the encouragement ratul :) . Actually i learnt some basic shell scripting commands and whenever i am stuck i google or browse unix forums for solution. So my approach has been trial and error learning till now. Can you recommend some good learning materials so that i can learn from scratch and get a good fundamental grasp on scripting and linux architecture.

For linux architecture, i'd recommend this: *www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621
$2400 course absolutely free by The Linux Foundation, have looked into the curriculum and videos, it's really good and well structured.. :)
For Shell Scripting, i have some CBT Nuggets video tutorials, google for them, or in the torrents.. :wink:

ankush28

Bazinga
For linux architecture, i'd recommend this: *www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621
$2400 course absolutely free by The Linux Foundation, have looked into the curriculum and videos, it's really good and well structured.. :)
For Shell Scripting, i have some CBT Nuggets video tutorials, google for them, or in the torrents.. :wink:

IMO that course will be too basic for someone who already knows shell scripting :p

ratul

█████████████████
IMO that course will be too basic for someone who already knows shell scripting :p

Basics are the most important thing my friend, even i started as just googling commands and used hit and trial, but the course introduced me to a more systematic way to use them, and more in depth to how each command can be used in certain ways, if your basics ain't clear, you'd be having a lot of trouble during the job.. :cool:

mzs_47

Broken In
Let me try to help you.

I work as a Unix and DB admin. There TONS of opportunites here(in IT, In India!)
You can be DevOps guy at a startup or at a cloud focused org, or a sys admin in large enterprise environment.
Or a driver/embeded dev, or contributor to Linux kernel or even apps developer.
Select one and the opportunites will follow.

But start with this question first "What do you want to do?" and then test the answer by asking Why?
Do this till your reasoning is solid.

My Story:
I got into Linux/*nix field due to my passion, it all started when I was at engg college and I came across EFY/Digit Linux editions, and watched Ben Kingesly's Gandhi movie.
And lo, started my Software satyagraha :)
I was hardcore Windows guy/gamer till then, unbeknownst to me I was using a un-licensed version of all along.

From then I went to intitate a Linux migration project at my institution running some 100s of PCs on Ubuntu to landing a job as a DB/Unix admin.
It all happened because I wanted to work on Unix platform.

What ratul said is true, even though I have good exp of Linux/Unix I enjoy going back to the basics that is how I honed my skill.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Hi Guys,

1.I think you should take a risk and jump into a good startup or small company into the field of interest you have and settle down in a domain of linux.
This also means that new company may not offer good salary if your exp is not relevant.But the risk is worth if you enjoy new work.

2. There are many domains in linux and each demands specific skillsets and you need to choose one.

Embedded - You need strong knowledge of linux,os, firmware ,stacks,device drivers,bsp hardware to get a job related to linux device drivers or embedded developer or tester.
Networking - N/W basics,stacks,shell,scripting,web tech,linux networking etc
Virtualization - All stuff usefull to virtualization in linux.
Linux Admin - To manage a network or database with required knowledge of linux in a server,etc
Deployment- To manage build and deployment using shell scripts ,make etc
IT Security- To find vulnerability using linux tools and scripts.
Android/Mobile development - This can also be a path if involves linux work.

Top Bottom