Can't install ubuntu or any other linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmeet

Broken In
Hey all I wrote a post earlier also about some problems in my computer earlier before also (Click Here).
When I try to install Ubuntu or as a matter of face any other linux I get an error saying CD/DVD error or problem with hard disk. So I replaced my hdd,DVD drive,Tried different iso's but nothing works.
I am attaching with this a screenshot of the error that ubuntu gives. A similar error is given by Fedora too.
Please if any one knows what this thing is please help really is killing me.
The error not only exists while installing it on harddisk but also while I am installing it on VMware. It gives the same error. I have like tried 10 diffrent versions and iso's of Ubuntu 4 isos of Fedora 2 of SUSE and nothing works.

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
Re: No software installs No OS installs!!! Help

Hey I am posting a screen shot of the error that ubuntu gives me.
If some one knows about this please help

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Re: No software installs No OS installs!!! Help

^^Either your media is corrupted, or the source itself, or it may be RAM also.

I'd suggest first verify your RAM modules using Memtest86+, then verify the MD5 of source image, and lastly the media.

In case of corrupted source image you need to download a fresh one, and then burn again. Make sure that you burn with no more than 8x speed.

But as you stated you tried many Distros, it looks like RAM problem. So perform a Memtest86+ test.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's right, you need to change your RAM. Your RAM Module(s) are faulty.

If you are using more than one RAM Modules, then detach one by one and check with only one module attached. This way you can find out which RAM Module is faulty, and replacing that module will solve your problem.

BTW your System Config please?? And how old it is??

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Have you tried installing through Wubi? it is available on Ubuntu website and is the easiest way to install Ubuntu. I'm assuming you have Windows on your machine

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Irrespective of whether Windows is running or not, his RAM (one or both the modules) are faulty, a simple memtest86+ test shows that, and that also above 3k errors, and that's why he's getting [Errorno 5].

Ask him to install some package at Windows too, like SQL Server, MS Visual Studio and he'll get error.

So all said and done, @OP knows what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom