cannot read old hdd on new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
i have twoo hdds one seagate 20gb with win98 se(old) and 2nd one samsumng 80 gb with win xp pro sp2(new). the problem is i cannot access my older hdd when i am on win xp pro.while using win 98 se i m able to see both hdds. what cud be the problem.

both the hdds are on fat 32.

theraven

Technomancer
there was a thread on floppies not workin either way ..
i think its pretty much the same problem ..
ive been looking for the post ... but couldnt find it ... will get back to ya in a bit

theraven

Technomancer
ok can u aee the older hdd in my computer ?
or it doesnt even show up ?
if u can see it ... do one more thing .. right lick on my computer. .. click manage
goto disk management .. and temme what it says over there .. abt both the disks

i think we need JAK on this ...
JAK ??

OP
mariner

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
no man when using th xp ie the new hdd nothin is visible of the older one.but surprisingly when using the older one i can see both the hdds in my computer.

JAK ????

aadipa

Padawan
hmm, just check if ur older hdd is visible in device manager in xp

may be it is disabled from there ....

OP
mariner

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
yes batty both drives are listed here
but the partitions for the older hdd are not visiblejust shows the as one partition of 18.65 gb

JAK

What the Heck !
Hmm...

First as Aadi suggested check if the Drive is Disabled in XP...

If not then...

It seems ur partitions are ovelapping each other...

Try runin Partition magic or any other 3rd party software u have and see if u can see the partitions, if they cannot then.....

well ...u'll have to do it this way.... :wink:

Use Ranish Partition Manager (DOS) around 100Kb Download Here

Just run ranish in Windows and it will prompt u to copy it on Floppy
Upon booting to the floppy it will Display u partition structure
Use
[F5] key to switch between ur HDD's.

if u see anything in Red it means something is wrong

The reason for this maybe u used too many different 3rd party partitioning softwares to create the partitions...

Since u mentioned u hav win 98 installed u can run Ranish Partiton mgr in Win98 itself and post the screen shot here for better analysis(WINXP wont let u run Ranish as it attempt to access the HDD directly)

Else u cud note down the Following items when runnin Ranish in DOS mode and post them here in this format

HDD size (xxxxMbytes ---xxxxCylinders,xxxxHeads,xxxx Sectors) normally heads=255 and sectors=63

Partition1(Type pri/Ext) | Starting Head/Cylinder/Sector | Ending/Head Cylinder/sector
Partition2(Type pri/Ext) | Startin Head/cylinder/sector | ending... andd so on for all partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom