Can we change the desktop wallpaper in windows XP using Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Hi Guyz...

I tried to change my desktop wallpaper by replacing the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

but.. no matter which wall paper has been set, the key value remains same i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\Sridatta Chegu\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp"

also.. i couldnot find any .bmp files in the above folder path.

I also tried to change the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ConvertedWallpaper
which contain the exact file path of the current wall paper.. but it didnot work

Plss help me out.

Thanks

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Did u set the value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper to a BMP file address?
Coz u can set oinly BMP files as wallpaper, otheriwse windows automatically convert those images into BMP file and its saved at C:\Documents and Settings\Sridatta Chegu\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
ConvertedWallpaper contains the path to the JPG or other format files, which r converted to BMP when U apply them as wallpaper!
U can change the wallpaper directly by changing the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper key! It works for me!

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
When i changed the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
my desktop backgnd didnot change even if i set a bmp image

when i right click my desktop and browse properties, then i observe the new wall paper there in desktop tab. but my desktop background is still the same old one..

did i miss any other steps ???

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Tell me one thing!
Are u able to change the desktop wallpaper using other methods, like right-clicking on the image and select "set as wallpaper" or from Desktop properties?

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
ya, i m able to change through other methods.
I m writing a code in batch file in which i need to change the wallpaper through command line. I was able to change the registry keys but the wall paper is not changing.. so i m trying 4 that..

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Ya.. i changed the value of OriginalWallpaper and the Wallpaper.. but the wall paper didnot change instantaneously...
But...When i tried to hide my icons and show them again.. then the wallpaper has changed... The wallpaper has changed even after restarting the system.. But it is not changing instantaneoulsy...

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
It means now the wallpaper is changing!
To change them instantaneously, give following command:

RUNDLL32.EXE USER32.DLL,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters ,1 ,True

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Vishal.. I have done it.. U r really superb.. very thank u 4 ur help..
bye

Vishal.. I have one more query to ask...
If i dont want to allow the user to change the wallpaper.. is there ny way to do that..??

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Try this!
In regedit, goto:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In right-side pane, create DWORD value NoChangingWallpaper and set it to 1

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
The attachment shows the right side part of the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
I have added the key as you said but i m unable to change the wallpaper.. do i need to do anything else..?

Last edited:
OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
sorry vishal.. i am able to change to change the wallpaper even after adding the key...
it was a typographical error.. really very sorry..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
OK!
Try this: In

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Create a String value Wallpaper and change its value to the location of any BMP file, u want. After that only the wallpaper u set in the value is displayed!

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Vishal.. once more.. i have succeded... :) and hence u too :D
thank u once again....

one small note.. no matter what value u type in the key.. the desktop tab is disabled in display properties and the current wallpaper cannot be changed.

the prlbm is solved. moderators please close the thread

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U r welcome!

U can also disable the Desktop tab, by going to:

And in right-side pane, create a DWORD value NoDispBackgroundPage and set its value to 1.

And if u want to disable the Whole Properties dialog box, so that the user can't access it by right-clicking on desktop & select Properties. Goto:

And create DWORD value NoDispCPL and set its value to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom