techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
Hello,
I bought a new pc with follwing config
i7-2600k
asus v pro MB
corsair 4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
rest is nt needed

My friend gave me a 2gb ddr3 ram stick of simtronics brand. local brand.. it is 1333Mhz..

can i use it up in ma config to make it 6gb ??

or there will be problems as the frequencies r different ??

js wanted to knw this noob stuff :p

thnx

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
You can use them no doubt but its better not to mix different brands.

Also the 1600 MHz RAM will be underclocked to 1333 MHz

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
the 1600MHz will auto downclock to 1333Mhz. I would rather not mix grade of ram. You have high end Corsairs, let them run separate. Plus you will loose dual channel.

OP
techking_dinesh

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
^ dual channel ??

i m sorry , i did nt understood those details.. jus want to know whether it is advisable or not..

moreover in d bios my ram is already running to 1333mhz .. it is set on auto.. but the ram automatically comes to 1333mhz

secondly i have that 2 gb as spare.. no use..

js wanted to knw if adding it is advisable and will improve my performance or nt ?

i m very happy with my 4gb though.. bt still keepin 2 2gb in some cupboard then y not in d system ??

so my doubt ..

Tech&ME

Banned
In simple words.

Don't put that 2gb ram in your system.

Enjoy what you have in your system and forget about that 2gb ram.

you can sell it in the bazaar section of this forum.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Your PC is new isnt it?
Dont put that friends RAM onto your PC. Atleast not till the warranty of all your components run out :wink:
Its best not to mix brands and different speeds

sukesh1090

Adam young
for right now 4gb ram is more than enuff,so better to leave it alone and don't use that ram.about 1333MHz in bios change from auto to 1600 if u have any option like that,if not then don't touch it.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yes, just try to sell that DDR3 1333MHz RAM. Ifin future you want to upgarde then better opt for 4GB of the very same model you are using now so that your PC runs in dual channel w/o any issues.

BTW if you are running your 1600MHz RAM at 1333MHz then you can easily OC it to 1600MHz to get the best performance from your RAM.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
My friend gave me a 2gb ddr3 ram stick of simtronics brand. local brand.. it is 1333Mhz..

can i use it up in ma config to make it 6gb ??
don't be greedy that u will get 6GB RAM...
they wont make any performance difference & also there will always be a risk of RAM corruption....who knows

@all: can we use 4RAMs in Dual Channel mode?
also is there tripple channel?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
don't be greedy that u will get 6GB RAM...
they wont make any performance difference & also there will always be a risk of RAM corruption....who knows

@all: can we use 4RAMs in Dual Channel mode?
also is there tripple channel?
Yes, 4RAMs in Dual Channel mode..

LGA 1366 uses triple channel arch.

@techking_dinesh, BSODs occur wen u mix up RAMs of diff. latencies.. Not sure abt diff. frequencies.. Still Better to stay with 4GB..

OP
techking_dinesh

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
alright.. removed d 2gb.. now only 4gb dr3 in my system !!

doing its mm test and stff again to see if this works well or not

Top Bottom