Camera talk...

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Hi guys, posting here after a very long time.

Tried my brother's 1100D with 50mm fixed lens and the results were seriously omg. Everything was so much better when compared to the stock 18-55mm lens, be it focusing, color reproduction or whatever. I was not so adept at using manual so used auto mostly but my bro used manual and results were even better.

The only downside was that I just couldn't get the scene to fit in the frame in most of the crowded places due to fixed lens and that irritated me hell in the beginning but later on, I chose to compromise comparing the +ves.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

sujoyp

Grand Master
:) people are dumping zooms and moving to primes in this forum ..

- - - Updated - - -

I still wish to have a Nikon 300mm f4 or Nikon 200-500 VR in my Kitty. and then my lens shopping will be over forever. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
I sometimes imagine how photographers used to shoot beautiful portraits with manual lens, I see girls nowdays cant even stay calm for 2-3 seconds and jump back to see the result first :D :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have few doubts in lightroom,

Can we access lightroom edited photos (with adjustments) in other softwares (not using export option)?
Can we search using keywords (used while importing in lightroom) in Adobe Bridge or Photoshop?

CRACING

Journeyman
I have few doubts in lightroom,

Can we access lightroom edited photos (with adjustments) in other softwares (not using export option)?

I have researched about this sometime ago but Lightroom stores RAW adjustments (aka metadata aka sidecar) in its catalog (Default path: C:\Users\[User Name]\Pictures\Lightroom\) and its not useful to any other softwares until we export matadata. That way a file with extension .xmp will be saved next to RAW image. This file can be read by different softwares but I'm aware about Adobe softwares only. Also note, when you modify this XMP in Camera RAW for example, you have to tell Lightroom to read metadata from file otherwise adjustments made in XMP won't be applied in Lightroom catalog, even though XMP is next to RAW file.

On the otherhand, I also use Zoner Photo Studio because it gives better output for some of photographers but its sidecar file extension is .data-zps and it cannot be read by any other softwares either, nor Zoner Photo Studio can read XMP.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have researched about this sometime ago but Lightroom stores RAW adjustments (aka metadata aka sidecar) in its catalog (Default path: C:\Users\[User Name]\Pictures\Lightroom\) and its not useful to any other softwares until we export matadata. That way a file with extension .xmp will be saved next to RAW image. This file can be read by different softwares but I'm aware about Adobe softwares only. Also note, when you modify this XMP in Camera RAW for example, you have to tell Lightroom to read metadata from file otherwise adjustments made in XMP won't be applied in Lightroom catalog, even though XMP is next to RAW file.
Thanks a lot.
So this works only for RAW files, not for jpeg files. If I am editing jpeg files, the adjustments I make in lightroom saved as .xmp too?

CRACING

Journeyman
Thanks a lot.
So this works only for RAW files, not for jpeg files. If I am editing jpeg files, the adjustments I make in lightroom saved as .xmp too?

Sidecar file is only saved for RAW files. For jpeg files, metadata is updated to original file when you use save metadata to file option but it doesn't include adjustments. To get modified jpeg from lightroom, you have to export it. It seems lightroom doesn't have option to overwrite original files. Here you can find big discussion about it. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sidecar file is only saved for RAW files. For jpeg files, metadata is updated to original file when you use save metadata to file option [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] and it does[STRIKE]n't[/STRIKE] include adjustments. It seems lightroom doesn't have option to overwrite original files. Here you can find big discussion about it. :)
Thank you.
With your help and google, I have understood to an extent. Thanks again. :)

CRACING

Journeyman
Thank you.
With your help and google, I have understood to an extent. Thanks again. :)

It does include adjustments?

I have tired to edit jpeg files in lightroom. Changes are visible in lightroom but original file is intact. When I click save metadata to file, only metadata is saved to original file but not the adjustments like exposure, tone and etc made in develop screen.

raja manuel

In the zone
I don't use Lightroom, but I don't see how software from other vendors can make use of Lightroom's sidecar files. Open source software like RawTherappe can start from a genuinely unprocessed base, but closed source tools do not. Even if you open a raw file with a neutral profile in Lightroom some post processing is done and the other vendor's tool will not know what that is. The problem increases with adjustment you have made in Lightroom - when you move a slider to say value 60, you don't know if that is a linear adjustment, or mapped to a curve, or even based on an predefined model that considers values of other sliders. Add DCPs, CLUTs, and demosaicing algorithms that can vary from software to software and you end up with a situation where even if the other vendor's tools can read the sidecar file, it would be meaningless.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It does include adjustments?

I have tired to edit jpeg files in lightroom. Changes are visible in lightroom but original file is intact. When I click save metadata to file, only metadata is saved to original file but not the adjustments like exposure, tone and etc made in develop screen.
Yes, it does. The link you gave said that. For RAW it's saved as separate file (*xmp) for others likej jpeg,dng,tiff it's saved in the header of original file (don't ask me what's header, I don't know). Since LR processing is non destructive, original file is intact just the metadata information is stored additionally in the file. When you open picture in PS, Camera RAW opens the image with adjustments you applied in LR (Note: Not all the adjustments are stored in metadata of jpeg files - I don't know what are all the missing ones).
I don't use Lightroom, but I don't see how software from other vendors can make use of Lightroom's sidecar files. Open source software like RawTherappe can start from a genuinely unprocessed base, but closed source tools do not. Even if you open a raw file with a neutral profile in Lightroom some post processing is done and the other vendor's tool will not know what that is. The problem increases with adjustment you have made in Lightroom - when you move a slider to say value 60, you don't know if that is a linear adjustment, or mapped to a curve, or even based on an predefined model that considers values of other sliders. Add DCPs, CLUTs, and demosaicing algorithms that can vary from software to software and you end up with a situation where even if the other vendor's tools can read the sidecar file, it would be meaningless.
I don't think other software (other than Adobe) could read the metadata of lightroom. Yes, every software have different algorithm and the adjustments wouldn't be same even if they could read.

CRACING

Journeyman
Yes, it does. The link you gave said that. For RAW it's saved as separate file (*xmp) for others likej jpeg,dng,tiff it's saved in the header of original file (don't ask me what's header, I don't know). Since LR processing is non destructive, original file is intact just the metadata information is stored additionally in the file. When you open picture in PS, Camera RAW opens the image with adjustments you applied in LR (Note: Not all the adjustments are stored in metadata of jpeg files - I don't know what are all the missing ones).

Ah yes, you are right. Earlier I viewed the LR modified jpeg files in windows explore and zoner photo studio and they didn't show the modifications but now I have opened the same jpeg files in PS and camera RAW pops up and shows the adjustments I have made in lightroom.

LR is good for those who like AIO softwares connected to huge collection of photographs. I use windows explore to organize files and I'm comfortable with PS Camera RAW and Zoner Photo Studio since both save adjustments to sidecar so that I will know which files are edited. LR stores adjustments in catalog file (its a single database file) and incase of system crash, if this file corrupts or deletes then all our work is ruined. For foolproof, one has to save metadata to file for each of his adjustments or enable "Automatically write changes to XMP" in catalog settings.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I did not know that modifications are saved to jpeg file. Only metadata is saved to them and all the adjustments go to the catalog file according to me.

Keep backing up the catalog for edits to be saved.

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey! Guys, what kind of tripods do you use? I plan to get a tripod soon. Any suggestions?

Most of them are from same and most probably made by the same OEM. What say?

CRACING

Journeyman
Hey! Guys, what kind of tripods do you use? I plan to get a tripod soon. Any suggestions?

Most of them are from same and most probably made by the same OEM. What say?

I have Vanguard CX 203AP that I use for my Nikon D3200. Costs around 3k and available in most online and local stores. I bought from Paytm. It is solid and stable tripod for most DSLR cameras but if you have long range lens then look for more heavy tripods, especially from Manfrotto.

There is another tripod from Vanguard that has Pistol Grip Head and works just like ball head. Best for video shooting. It costs 1k more and model no is CX 203AGH.

Alternatively you can check out tripods from Silk and Benro but entry-level tripods are not good because they aren't solid or heavy for DSLRs. Same goes for Photron, Simpex, Sonia which are imported products and brand name is labeled here, that is why all look similar.

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
my budget is around 3-4k and have seen some cheaper slik and vanguard tripods. I also saw some Sonia and digitek tripods and found them to be okay. Similar to the cheaper benro and vanguard ones.

I had my eyes on the E-image 7010a.

after searching for a while, I found that this company makes some serious professional video and photography accessories. And haven't seen the head in any other tripod. I don't know should I bite the bullet or not?

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Wanted to buy a battery for my NEX6. Needed suggestions on whether to buy an orignal sony battery (5.3k on Amazon) or one of the many other brands (available for as low as 1.3k)

Please advise

Top Bottom