C/C++ Beginner's Guide and Post Basic Questions here

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Well I don't recommend C for a beginner programmer but if you insist go for "C for Dummies", it does begin from scratch.

Sorry, but I've been out of touch with C for a long time now. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with conio.h? I mean, I know that its hard to use it in gcc (you have to use ncurses or something like that instead, if I am not wrong).

Also, what's wrong with "void main()"?
Good that your query has been answered but again, how difficult is actually reading the thread?

rahul_c

Journeyman
Well I don't recommend C for a beginner programmer but if you insist go for "C for Dummies", it does begin from scratch

B. Tech in CS begins programming with C, so I don't have a choice. Do I really need to buy a separate book? Does Head First C starts with that much high level? Which language do you suggest for a absolute beginner anyways?

A separate thing, I need GCC compiler but the one I downloaded (MinGW-get) does not work offline. From where can I get the offline version of GCC?

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
HFC does require *some* programming experience. Not advanced but a basic familiarity with programming will do. Either you can learn online (links are there in the OP) and then begin with it, or buy C for dummies if you don't find them right for your needs.

As far as "offline compiler" is concerned, get Codeblocks IDE which bundles MinGW itself.

rahul_c

Journeyman
I do have Code::blocks but HFC uses GCC through out the book, I'm not sure if they are different or same.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Code::Blocks uses gcc as it's compiler. Don't worry.

Genrally the path to GCC in your case would be : C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin.

You can add this path to PATH variable and use gcc and g++ from Command Line too :)

rahul_c

Journeyman
^Thanks then, I will just use Head First C with code::blocks and refer to internet or "you guys" if I've any *fundamental* problem. :)

Anurup

Broken In
Guyz...want to know if Dev-C++ will work on win7 64bit....and also can any1 provide me with the link to the download of Dev -C++(the latest version).......and is programming on it similar to Borland C++?
Some of my classmates r saying that its better to use Eclipse ...is this true..if so what dvantages does it hv?

many say that "Dev-C++ is a crappy old buggy and unsupported IDE" ...is this true...if so which compiler should i opt for...os is win 7 64bit

RBX

In the zone
Using GCC 4.7.0 on Fedora 17. I'm getting following error while trying to execute the output file -
Code:
bash: ./Play_Remember_The_Name.out: Permission denied

I've tried chmod / chown.

Edit:
Apparently , it has something to do with the output being on a non Linux partition. Can something be done while compiling, or later to allow the file to run even when it is on NTFS partition ?

Edit:
found solution here
*askubuntu.com/questions/18052/exe-file-permission-fail/18053

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
So what is Qt w.r.t. to this thread? Qt - Cross-platform application and UI framework — Qt - A cross-platform application and UI framework

I have read so many glowing tributes about it being very easy to write beautiful cross-platform applications with.

NOTE : Was unable to search this thread because qt is too short for the search bot.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
So what is Qt w.r.t. to this thread? Qt - Cross-platform application and UI framework — Qt - A cross-platform application and UI framework

I have read so many glowing tributes about it being very easy to write beautiful cross-platform applications with.

NOTE : Was unable to search this thread because qt is too short for the search bot.
What do you want to know about Qt?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I was thinking if Qt would be a good place to begin programming?
And I did not grasp the concept of what is Qt exactly... Is it a programming language or IDE or a library or what?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Is C# a good language to learn along with .net ???

C# is one of the main languages to learn along with .net.
And knowledge of C / C++ will be an added advantage, before you attempt to study C#.net.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Yes, If you have prior knowledge of VB, you can instead go with VB.NET. C#.NET & VB.NET are isomorphic.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
I installed codeblocks with the MinGW compiler. Ran it and selected gcc as the default compiler. When I run a C program , it runs fine. But a C++ program gives error that iostream not found. How can an important header file appear missing in library. Whats going wrong ?

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
^^ Simple and easy way : Did You download CodeBlock mingw-setup or not as mingw setup contains the GCC Compiler and GDB Debugger , if you have done that make sure to use GNU GCC Compiler when you maker a program of C++.

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I installed codeblocks with the MinGW compiler. Ran it and selected gcc as the default compiler. When I run a C program , it runs fine. But a C++ program gives error that iostream not found. How can an important header file appear missing in library. Whats going wrong ?

^^ Simple and easy way : Did You download CodeBlock mingw-setup or not as mingw setup contains the GCC Compiler and GDB Debugger , if you have done that make sure to use GNU GCC Compiler when you maker a program of C++.

Well he says that he downloaded Codeblocks with MinGW Compiler. Also he clearly states that C Program runs fine. So it's not a problem of Compiler or the Package that he downloaded.

@the_conqueror Can you please provide the piece of C++ program you are trying to run?

nims11

BIOS Terminator
^^ The world has changed a lot since Turbo C++,
Code:
#include<iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
  int x,y;
  cin>>x;
  cout<<x;
  cin>>y;
  cout<<y;
  return 0;
}

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@the_conqueror That's what I thought you'd have been using. That's why I asked to post the code. Refer ^^his code.