C/C++ Beginner's Guide and Post Basic Questions here

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
How to: Compile a Native C++ Program from the Command Line
Writing and Compiling C Program using Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition TechnoZeal

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
so nobody here using dj delories?? thats pretty good too u know... and probably less intimidating too for people coming from older Borland IDE's...

^^I suggest u start using MinGW. Compiling and executing is done by commands in the command prompt so the problem will never arise.

heheh... :twisted:

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
^^The problem is I don't know the Alt+F5 equivalent in MS Visual C++. Only this I want to know. Now I am using MinGW which has no such fuss. But if you know any such "Alt+F5 equivalent", please tell me.

P.S.:-Now I m not using system("pause") or cin.get() or any such thing to trap keyboard input.

I also have not been able to find a solution for this. :confused:

Whenever I use Visual Studio for console apps (like never, unless absolutely required), I tend to use a blocking input statement like cin.get()/Console.Read() while debugging only.

The reason being, console apps are meant to be
  1. Fired.
  2. Parse args or read input.
  3. Give output, if any.
  4. Die.

Or when I'm feeling lazy, I run sans the debugger (Shortcut Ctrl+F5). This gives me a "Press a key to continue..." prompt.

But that's rarely the case, since most of what I do are services meant to run indefinitely until a exit character appears.

PS: Remove these blocking statements in your Release builds since it comes to bite you in the hiney. Forking the programs having blocking input statements as their last one's, are every programmer's nightmare when the I/O streams are redirected. Trust me.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Re: C/C++ IDE for windows 7 starter.

Is it for 32 bit? or for 64 bit? I need for 64 bit OS. Can anyone help me please.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Please suggest a c++ ide for windows 7 64 bit. The Turbo c++ ide doesn't work on it. Is there any emulator available that can run it on windows 7 64 bit ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
please give a download link.

PS: too tired to google it :wink:
And you expect him to Google that for you and then post the link?

Stop procrastinating and Google yourself. Or even better, read the link which was given to you.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
I got ninja'd by ico.

P.S. @the_conqueror I already gave the thread link :/

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Please suggest a c++ ide for windows 7 64 bit. The Turbo c++ ide doesn't work on it. Is there any emulator available that can run it on windows 7 64 bit ?

I should give you a free advice. Don't ever discuss "Turbo C++" here. You may get banned. Seriously.

For more information read the first page of this thread. Or if you still feeling, "Lazy", just refer, post no#26.

parjanya

Right off the assembly line
c help

i want tutorials for c/c++ programming
and how get compliers which will run my system
pentium 4 @2.4Ghz
512 ram
windows xp 32 bit sp 3
parjanya

blademast3r

In the zone
Re: c help

Its great that you want to learn C. Please dont have the impression that C and C++ are closely related. Even though basic syntax is similar the programming paradigm is different. This is not emphasized enough in most Indian courses/colleges.

Stick to C. I would suggest you buy "programming in c" by kernighan and Ritchie (the inventors of C) . It is a ~200 page book but dont underestimate its size. Should cost you about Rs 150.

About compiler, I would highly recommend installing a flavour of linux such as ubuntu. This comes with all the tools you need to start off coding and then some!

Happy coding

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
I read somewhere on this forum that C++ books by Indian authors(like Sumita Arora) are not good for proper learning of the language. I'm a beginner so please suggest a book(with the name of the author) which is perfect for learning C++. I have no experience with other languages. If the suggested book is available on flipkart then please give its link also. I shall be highly obliged.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I read somewhere on this forum that C++ books by Indian authors(like Sumita Arora) are not good for proper learning of the language. I'm a beginner so please suggest a book(with the name of the author) which is perfect for learning C++. I have no experience with other languages. If the suggested book is available on flipkart then please give its link also. I shall be highly obliged.

Quoted from the first post of this thread itself:

C++ books
There are many great books for C++, 'Thinking in C++' and 'The C++ Programming language' are pretty good books and certainly worth learning. However there are many excellent online resources.
C++ Language Tutorial
Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days
Bruce Eckel's MindView, Inc: Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition by Bruce Eckel

Top Bottom