Buying External Harddisk

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Zangetsu, Jul 3, 2017.

1. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator Staff Member

If possible make sure to post the result even in late night today as I am planning on getting one tomorrow.

2. OP
    OP
    Zangetsu

Zangetsu El Directo!

Here you go

Your were right about it.
    Now you will go for Seagate ?

Attached Files:

• WD.JPG
      WD.JPG
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
  3. whitestar_999

Thanks!I think I have no other option.I like full list of SMART attributes & power on hours value for peace of mind.I could have even accepted only 4 SMART attributes but power on hours is must for me.

4. OP
    OP
    Zangetsu

Zangetsu El Directo!

^^Can u give the URL of sites where it says about chip changes

5. whitestar_999

The sites don't exactly say chip changes but it is obvious as unlike seagate,WD uses its proprietary sata-usb board soldered onto the hdd inside case to prevent people from simply opening the case & use them as internal hdd(WD 3.5" desktop portable series still allows it though). Because of this same reason all SMART monitoring softwares can only display as much information as WD allows as all communications from internal hdd passes through the sata-usb bridge chip.You can see below links where people have asked about this on WD forums but standard reply they got from WD staff was that if they have any doubts they can run WD diagnostic tools & if it says "pass" then everything is fine else not.
    My Passport 4TB SMART Attributes Missing
    My Passport Ultra 4TB - Missing a bunch of SMART Attributes

edit: Another possibility might be that WD designed these HDD with incomplete SMART values in the first place for reasons best known to them.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    billubakra likes this.
  6. billubakra

billubakra Well-Known Member

@Zangetsu
    Can you do me a favor and check on the invoice if Amazon has mentioned the word "Invoice" or not? If not then what have they actually mentioned?
    P.S. I am talking about the printed invoice that came with the box. Also check on the orders page, what is mentioned on the e-invoice.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 1:00 AM
  7. OP
    OP
    Zangetsu

Zangetsu El Directo!

Yes, Invoice word is mentioned
    like Invoice No:, Invoice Date, Invoice Details
    also 2.5% of CGST & SGST

and MRP on box is Rs 19500, so retailer can charge up to that much amount

billubakra likes this.
  8. billubakra

No my point of asking was that Amazon does not let a person take credit of GST paid. They do that by calling us not actual users, though I am also unclear about this as of now so can't really explain. That is why they mention Bill of supply on the invoice also.

9. whitestar_999

End users are not supposed to be the beneficiaries of GST input credit from e-commerce sites like Amazon.

10. billubakra

Why is that? What if the end user is a business concern?

11. whitestar_999

^^Because that is against the Indian laws regarding FDI in retail.That is why Walmart can sale to wholesale dealers in their cash & carry wholesale outlets but they are not allowed to sale to regular persons or open their shops to sale to regular persons online or offline.As for how they identify wholesale dealers from regular users,that is established by their VAT/GSTIN etc quoted by them while placing order & the quantity would be much larger than your typical home user(that is why amazon/flipkart/snapdeal restricts costly item quantities like mobile etc to 1 per account).

billubakra likes this.
  12. billubakra

Are we consumers or customers in the eyes of Amazon? They don't have much of the items listed on their Amazon business website so does that mean for a business concern which wants their gst number to be included on the invoice, offline purchase is the only solution?

13. whitestar_999

There is no legal difference between customer or consumer,Amazon as of now is simply a platform for sellers including its own cloudtail.I am guessing Cloudtail is registered in India as an Indian company selling goods to home users not as a business company selling to wholesale dealers.For wholesale dealers they have to buy directly from distributors of products who will then quote their GSTIN in invoice & most distributors don't sale online.e.g.You can get registered under GSTIN,buy intel processors offline from Intel distributors in Delhi with invoice having your GSTIN & start selling them on Amazon while quoting your GSTIN to amazon to start getting any input tax credit from amazon.

14. billubakra

There is difference between customer and consumer. You can buy a headphone for me from say a shop so you are a customer and I am a consumer. I really need one so get the hint ha ha
    Cloudtail is Amazon's subsidiary with few Indian companies having their shares in it. The seller don't matter. All sellers on Amazon.in are Indian people/companies only. Forget about this because as per the GST act a buyer has the right to get his or her GSTIN number mentioned on the invoice. I am still not able to find the reason behind their excuse as I have been very busy. If you have time then can you mark a mail to them and ask a reason for this? I hope they provide a solid reason for this.