Buying an assembled computer for 30k

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Hrdwaresecrets.com found that VX450w could supply 571 watts and remain stable. The room was not air conditioned and ambient temperatures were high too. Corsair has labeled it as 450w for the 80+ certification coz the efficiency falls below 80 after 500w. It can be easily trusted to supply 520-530 watts and remain stable. Corsair PSUs are one of the best PSUs out there and mostly under rated. CX400 can also supply more than 450w, just because of efficiency falling below 80, it has been labeled as 400w

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
won't require so much power for the rig listed above. can easily work on 400W (CX400W) but 450W looks to be best bet.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
Yeah, i'm pretty much going for the corsair vx 450
One thing, up to a 19" monitor (Max Res: 1440X900) a HD 5770 or GTX460 768 MB is enough. They will offer very good gaming performance on that resolution. Then you can reduce your budget by almost 3k and get a good PSU or another 2 GB of Ram

A friend was telling me to do the exact same thing. The only question is, will 768mb be enough to last say.. three years or so?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Look, nothing is enough to last 3 years. Who knows, may be Microsoft will release DX12 in early 2012 and all graphics cards which look like a beast right now will become outdated. Games become more and more demanding every day. Back in 2004 when Doom 3 was launched, it had one of the best graphics and you needed some of the best graphics cards available then to run the game. But within 2-3 years, every low end graphics card was able to run the game.
When transistor counts reached 500 million on a graphics card, it was big news, but see the condition now. The transistor count has crossed 2 billion on some high end cards.
Graphics technology changes fast and by a high degree. You can be sure that GTX460 will run most games launched 3 years from now, but at what resolution and what settings, no one can say. May be after 3 years it will be able to supply just the bare minimum power required to run a game.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
but i more thing the difference between zotac 768mb and 1gb is just 1.5k. so better get 1gb. and better invest in a 22" monitor later. price is just awesome these days. IMO 19" is not worth.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
19" monitors (16:10) are fast vanishing from the market. Only 16:9 monitors, mostly 1600x900 for 20" and 1920x1080 for 22" are available. Isn't a good trend, but guess we'll have to get used to the fact that computers are more entertainment centric these days.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
I'll look into it. I'm inclined at getting the 1gb one. Still a week or maybe more to go before I go to buy it. I'll post a final config here before buying it.

and if the mentioned board isn't available, any other good boards in the 5k range?

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
BUMP
costly cabinets have better airflow, wire management, better build quality...etc.
anyways gaming on the same graphics card s not possible for 3 years. new games are very much hardware demanding.

rig-
Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ 4.5k
2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.5k
LG H55N DVD @ 1k
Zotac GTX460 1GB @ 12.5k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.7k
CM elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 30.7k

also i forgot to ask your monitor and which resolution you will run??

I totally forgot to ask, are these prices from Mumbai? if not, can anyone in the know give me the prices for these (preferable lamington road)? thanks.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
bump.

just going through psu's and stuff...

Will corsair CMPSU 430CX 430W be able to run gtx 460 with the athlon ii config? as the 430 costs almost 1k less than the vx450w one.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
Check above. No one has said it won't run 460 well. Just that it isn't as reliable as corsair and if something goes wrong i can end up with a much bigger loss than the extra 1000 i invest now. i'm just saw the CX 430 and thinking if it is that reliable i can go for it instead.

Piyush

Lanaya
^^the guys are talking about cooler master extreme series PSUs and other "desi" brand
FSP is a reputed brand
i dont thing 500W will have any problem running 460

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
FSP is a good brand. makes PSU for other brands including Gigabyte. FSP makes lots of PSU for in 3-4 series. Saga II is the budget series & can handle a single card well.

in terms of performance, it'll put FSP Saga II 500W same as the CX400W. though CX400W is better but its unfair to group FSP in the league of "desi PSU"s.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
Thanks for the help guys. I settled for this -

Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
Samsung DVD
Zotac GTX460 1GB
Corsair VX450W
CM elite 310