Buying a Nikon AF-S Lens for D5100

Dr. House

No Regrets
Hello! I'm looking to buy a Nikon AF-S Lens under 8.5k from flipkart.
I would like to do street and fashion photography from that lens. For this I'm confused between 35 mm f/1.8G Lens and 50 mm f/1.8G Lens.
Please help me to sort out one. Thanks

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
both street and fashion have different requirements ....street need good tight composition and 50mm is great ...and fashion need a bit room to work or you can say get full body from close then 35mm is good

to shoot a full body shot with 50mm you have to move quit back like 8 feet almost ....not good for those full body shots...

sujoyp

Grand Master
I wont recommend a 35mm for streets ...yes you can consider a 55-200mm for street photography as you can zoom from a distance so you wont disturb anyone...it can do nice blurred background

sujoyp

Grand Master
35mm is said to have 50mm fov for cropped sensor...which is the fov of our eyes...thats what we see..the area under focus....the reason 50mm was famous in old days coz all slr had full frame FOV ...but in our cropped sensor days 35mm is correct one.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes D5100 have cropped sensor ...you can get 35mm and it will surely help you in fashion photography too

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
How is 35mm for event/party photography?
Is there any better deal than this Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35 mm f/1.8G Lens - Nikon: Flipkart.com

sujoyp

Grand Master
you can get it for 8000 at snapdeal

use the promocode to get 5% discount
Nikon 35 mm f/ 1.8 G AF-S DX Lens (DX Format) - Buy Online @ Rs.8490/- | Snapdeal

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sujoy, The 50mm you have is D or G lens or old lens from Film era ;) I might have mentioned before, I don't remember now.. poor memory :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
my 50mm is Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 (Non-D) and the 55mm micro is from film era

@house 35mm is good for events like birthday or marrige...but not road shows or music events

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
Arranged money now. I'm gonna order 35mm f/1.8 as soon as possible.
I found out it is also great for street photography, it's an overall multipurpose camera.
[YOUTUBE]X17Tba_azxQ[/YOUTUBE]

- - - Updated - - -

One of my friend made me confuse by telling me 50mm will have sharper and will have better depth of field.
35mm is a bit worse than 50mm in terms of image quality and performance.

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
See... sujoy likes when you're confused :rofl:

No, he liked the video that I posted yesterday. I updated my confusion today at noon. :razz:

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe because it's quite difficult to decide lens online without using them in hands.

sujoyp

Grand Master
bro just take out your 18-55 ...put it on 35mm and shoot for sometime ...then put it on 50mm and shoot ...see which one you like better ...and about optics...its just like 35mm is 9.5 and 50mm is 10 thats all ...there is no big difference...if you are still confused check flickr for images taken by them :)

Top Bottom