Buying a New External Hdd..Please Help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneek

Broken In
Hi guys,
I want to buy a external hard disk..My budget is arround 4k. Please suggest me a good hdd in that budget.Any storage capacity is ok with me...(Not less than 80gb)
So please do suggest on this thread..Also I'm from Kolkata so...If u suggest the price of it and also the limitations of that disk......

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
USB powerd will be good I think..Yay I can buy that but do u know the limitations..???
I mean to say can I install OS s and do other things not to just use it as a basic storage device...

red_devil

Back!
@Aneek,

i recently bought a MAXTOR portable HDD for 2392 [incl tax ...with bill n stuff]

320gb disk was 3500something [ but less than 4k] so u can buy it too...

and as for installing OS... i haven't tried it myself so wont be able to help u on that front..

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Well, installation on Portable HDDs are good, but since they are USB2.0 powered they are slower than the internal HDDs (as they are either IDE or SATA).. also.. does the bios support usb boot drives? if yes then its good, but DO NOT expect gr8 performances while using ur PC on an OS installed on a portable HDD.. :)
-----------
Yup, T'cend is good for a portable HDD. :)
-----------

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
Thank u all...................
@topgear.........I think Transend is the choice for me.....Thankx for the details...
@ashu888ashu888.........Yah, man BIOS and The SMPS doesn't support the USB 2.0 At the time of booting the computer.Because my friend recently damaged his 8 GB Pendrive after he installed Ubuntu on it and at the time of the first booting...It was Damaged...So that was a big fear for me...............

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, right.. infact many posts on google will tell u to even upgrade ur BIOS (to be able to support booting from USBs) but Plz plz.. DO NOT upgrade ur BIOS as it will and most probably lead to ur mobo unfunctionable.. :(

So u are better off with using ur portable HDD as a storage drive.. :)

and yes, i agree tat T'cend is a really good option, for the same capacity(320 GB) the WD is 1K more.. so go for T'cend.. :)
-----------

Cheers n e-peace...

prateekchanda

Boy Genius
Why not Maxtor Basics Its been baught by Seagate so the quality should be better actually I baught that for 3690/- for the 320 GB model

Also what is the best way to keep data secure from peeping toms and young 'ons

Why not Maxtor Basics Its been bought by Seagate so the quality should be better actually I bought that for 3690/- for the 320 GB model Lots of space!:D

Also what is the best way to keep data secure from peeping toms and young 'ons :cool:

Last edited:

slimTech

Climbing..........
What do you think guys which one is better, USB powered or non-USB powered?

As far as compatibility is concerned, I think USB powered will have to compromise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom