Buying a high end laptop, Need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishanjain

Broken In
I have to buy a laptop for my friend. She's going to Cambridge university for some graphic designing course. Obviously, the university has asked for a high end laptop and 1.5 TB portable HDD.

firstly, would it be better to buy from here itself or buy from UK??
one of my frnd living there suggested me not to buy from uk as they are expensive there. Purchasing from india will be good. Anyone know the price differences??

I have a budget limit of 80K for both laptop and HDD. I would prefer dell and so far This is what i have selected. Its under my budget line and maximum possible config i can get. But i would to have Core I7-820QM Processor instead of Core I7-720QM(the default).But its not letting me customize that. Am i able to get that somehow ??

I was thinking of getting some christmas schemes. But they have none on xps series. Should i wait some more??

The default network card is
Dell 1520 Wireless-N card, Should i change it to Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card. What difference will it make..

What about the prices of 1.5 TB portable drive??

go for a 17" one, as from my personal experience, ts very difficult working on small screen, while modeling and even some dialogue boxes fail to show properly vertically, 17" one has a P8700 cpu, if you are interested in i7 only ,call up the dell and chat with any sales executive regarding pricing and customization,

in UK it would more costly compared to here, if possible get from US, for this budget you would get 18.4" models,

I dont know whether 1.5gb portable hdds are available, however 500gb WD would be little less than 5k.

you can look this from HP - *www.priceindia.in/laptop/hp-pavilion-dv7-2213tx-price/, however dont rely on the pricing of that site.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if you are going for core i7 based Dell Studio 15, go with 9-cell battery as 6-cell will be out of juice really fast, thanks to this beast.

btw, how about getting Alienware M15x from UK. *www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/...t/services_N00W1501?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

First check if they can offer any discount for students at Cambridge.

The best one to get is Apple Macbook Pro 15 that comes with 9600M GT. Given the popularity of OS X among graphic designers, this would be a great model to use. Also, Apple regularly offers discounts for students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom