Buying a DSLR

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
anyone who posts snapsort comparison isn't meant to be taken seriously :p

- - - Updated - - -

That's a nice link. I really wonder how the eyes are so sharp even @ 1/6th of a second 500px / Into the white! by Marianna Roussou

And surprise , surpise . That picture is made using only KIT LENS! . Now whosoever was saying D3100 sucks and all , can eat his words ? :p

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Shot with a Canon 550D (I hope he knows that its 600D underneath:p) and Canon -EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

Amazingly Breathtaking!

*www.facebook.com/pruvic/photos

OP
S

Siddhant.

Right off the assembly line
I am not really considering a Canon right now.. I think I would be buying a D5100 or D5200.
One of my friends has a D3200 with a 55-250 lens. His pictures are better than my brother's who uses a Canon 600D with a 18-55 lens.
Now the final question is a D5200 with 18-55 lens or a D5100 with some more lenses.
And also I am not much used to this camera talk so if you guys can just stick to basic things then it would be better or atleast explain how that difference would affect my pictures.
And also thank you all!

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
D 5100 with better glass should be your priority. If you check the facebook link provide you will know why Im telling this, The photographer uses a Canon 550D/600D body which is say Rs 29K or less but the lens used is an L series which costs Rs 60K.The results are right in front of you. So my point is the better the glass the better the picture.A little better Sensor wont take you far but the money saved and spent on Lesns gonna really show the result.

Taken with Canon EOS 550D and Canon -EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/21/j6gh.jpg

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/89/xdx5.jpg

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/837/aakn.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Taken with Canon EOS 600D and Kit Lens

*imageshack.com/a/img834/2277/91to.jpg

*imageshack.com/a/img809/5486/7v56.jpg

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/21/o4a7.jpg

Point is..... better Glass is always more rewarding at the end of the day.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
When there is a super duper deal for dual lens kit combo, it's fine to go for it. Else, stick with kit lens.
5 Reasons why Kit Lens is Best First Lens

OP
S

Siddhant.

I was looking at deals on Flipkart for D5100. I found these 3:
1. Nikon D5100 (with AF-S 18 - 55 mm VR Kit + Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikko SLR(Rs 39290)
2. Nikon D5100 (with AF-S 18 - 55 mm VR Kit + AF-S DX NIKKOR 35 mm f/1.8G SLR(Rs. 39290)
3. Nikon D5100 (with AF-S 18 - 55 mm VR Kit + AF-S NIKKOR 50 mm F/1.8G Le SLR(Rs. 39290)

Also the D5200 with kit lens is Rs. 36195.

Out of all these four deals which one is the best?

And, If I really get into photography the I might spend a 10-15k for a lens in September(Its my birthday!)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I assume 1st one is 55-200 tele zoom???
Body with kit lens costs about 25k and the other lenses costs about 8k each. So the FK quoted prices are toooo much.

Only you can tell whether you're ok with D5100 or D5200 is worth the extra. If you think are a noob, do "inky pinky ponky" between the two and decide. ;) I am kidding... Do some research and decide... :)

BTB, advance b'day wishes :)

Hrishi

Hey why not buy a DSLT instead ?? It's new but very easy for beginners plus tons of features.
The fixed mirror gives lots of advantages along with livefeed.

Maybe you can go to a showroom and ask the Showroom salesman to show you a demo of Sony Alpha A58 , this should cost you around 32-34k with stock 18-55mm Lenses , bags , etc.

I am also a new user , and I was about to buy a Nikon D5100/D3200 or a Canon 600D , but when I used the Sony DSLT for a while , I fell in love with it. :)
And any DSLR can be good , remember you are the one who's taking the shots. DSLR is just a medium.

Go with the one which you find easy to use and understand and has cheaper accessories.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If I remember correct, A58 was selling around ~28k.
In case, if you're thinking of SLT, A57 is better than A58. And it's priced 35k in chroma retail.

Hrishi

If I remember correct, A58 was selling around ~28k.
In case, if you're thinking of SLT, A57 is better than A58. And it's priced 35k in chroma retail.

A58@33k , bought it recently from Jumbo Electronics. (35k on Flipkart.)
A57 is not available any longer , isn't it ?? It's discontinued.

OP
S

Siddhant.

I am sticking with DSLR. No SLT!

If I buy the D5200 it doesn't has a internal Auto focus so cheap lenses would be hard to take pictures with as I am not thinking to buy a 15k+ lens unless I take up photography as a profession.

Even the D5100 doesn't has a internal auto focus.. Do the 8k lenses come with an auto focus?

If not then I am going to buy the D5200 and then a lens after some time.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Internal Focus Motor is a myth today. All lenses that you buy today have Focus Motor built in to them.So none of the DSLR body has Focus motor in them anymore.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^
Don't let the AF motor be the deciding factor. Nowadays almost all the lenses are AFS lenses, esp. DX lenses. So don't worry about that...

Yes, all the three lenses you mentioned in your previous post are AFS lenses and do have AF motor in it.
Note: Cheapest lens is the kit lens and it is an AFS lens (AF motor in it) :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=4648]Siddhant[/MENTION] most lenses released last 8-10 years have inbuilt focus motor...dont worry there are lots of lens available for D5200 or D5100

Top Bottom