Build for causal work and photo editing

OP
V

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Ok Guys Update Time.
Got a Corsair TX650M from Vedant (Bday gift by a dear friend) and also a 250 GB Samsung 960EVO NVME M.2 Drive
Now just waiting on my RAM and 8TB HDD to arrive.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

OP
V

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Total Damage Till Date
37.5 k - monitor
9.5 k - Cabinet
0.7 k - Arctic Silver
25.2 k - Intel i7-8700 CPU
14.5 k - Asus Rog Strix z370-G
20.0 k - Trident 32 GB 3200 RAM
17.0 k - Toshiba 8TB 7200 HDD
10.5 k - Samsung 960EVO 250
6.7 k - Corsair TX650M

OP
V

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Here is a photograph of the build so far. There is a 120 mm fan and a Corsair TX650M in the shroud at the bottom. Then you can see the 120mm rear fan and 140mm top fan. In place are the Z370-G motherboard and the Samsung Evo Nvme drives. I am using stock intel cooler and will upgrade to a AIO 120/140 mm at later date. Towards the front, the HDD will be mounted. Cables are all routed and the HDD cables too wont be visible as they will be routed directly. A rear-top placed controller built in the cabinet controls all three fans (all are nonPWM) and so there are no visible fan cables either.
Must say its looking quite clean and am pleased with it ao far.*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171212/1fd2112715683a424d57ac87f998bffb.jpg

OP
V

vivek g delhi

Broken In
I am toying with the idea of running a hyperVisor and then create a Win10 VM for daily work. Or is it better to run VMs within Win10. Or should I dual boot Win10 with a Linux distro.
I Linux, preferably Ubuntu 16 LTS I wish to run a Java webserver, a WordPress server and also Laravel PHP app, and a python based server. Maybe tinker with some NodeJS apps as well. I also wish to experiment with OpenStack and such. Am a doc so it's all tinkering as a hobby and timepass interest stuff. Win10 is for serious productivity work and photo editing. All booting will be via the NVME while data will be on HDD.
Any suggestions how to proceed guys

OP
V

vivek g delhi

Broken In
That is good but any backup plan for this "8TB hdd".
An external 5TB will house all my RAW photos. All work data and processed images on my 1TB onedrive cloud as well. The 5TB syncs with my Office Desktop HDD also.
Further the 8TB is a Cool Running High Reliability model made for NAS usage by Toshiba. Its got excellent reviews of NewEgg and Toshiba drives had some of the lowest failure rates in current BackBlaze resulta

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing is,it is India & especially in north indian summers,it takes full blown AC to keep temps in check.I hope you are regularly monitoring temps & SMART parameters for all your hdd using crystaldiskinfo/similar software.The 1st/fundamental rule of backup is: Any hdd can fail at any time.

OP
V

vivek g delhi

Broken In
True that. I will monitor the disks. What software do you suggest?
My System wont be 24x7 and the AC will be on when I am using the system. The 8TB is specifically marketed ar runs cool and newegg reviews support that claim.
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/1b948f0d4c0989886ecf5d3b6e88b53e.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use Crystaldiskinfo free,it is very good & comes with various themes/background images versions(also has portable zip versions that don't need install).The creator also has another good software crystaldiskmark which is used as hdd benchmarking tool by many reputed tech sites & forums.
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

Top Bottom