Budget graphics for my old PC Upgrade

geekyraj

Broken In
1. What is the intended use for this graphic card ?
Ans: Games like Counter Strike GO, Battlefield 3

2. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: will be buying. please suggest one VFM: Corsair CX430 or Corsair VS450 or Antec VP450 ?

3. What is your Max budget ?
Ans: 10k for graphics card, 2.5k for PSU, 4k for Cabinet

4. Which Screen resolution will you game at (if applicable)?
Ans: 1080 (if possible)

5. What are your current computer specifications ?
Ans:
Processor : Intel core 2 Quad Q8200
Motherboard : Intel DG35EC (Intel G35 Express Chipset)
RAM: Kingston DDR2 2GB
HDD: Seagate 2TB
Display: DELL 1920IN Widescreen LCD
PSU: Local(350W) inbuilt with Cabinet

I read about HIS RX 460 iCooler OC and Zotac GTX 1050 Ti Mini. are they compatible with my configuration? (may be a stupid question). Please provide link to get them online at cheapest price. Please suggest a decent Gaming Cabinet(4k) available in local market.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Your mobo lacks PCIe x3 slot and I'm afraid newer GPUs may be bottle-necked by it (correct me if I'm wrong). BF3 won't run good on 2GB ram that too ddr2.

Don't fix a budget for PSU. You might end up buying a crap one because of that.

quicky008

Technomancer
1050ti will be compatible with your configuration,but your cpu may bottleneck it to some extent.Please consider upgrading your ram to atleast 6gb if you want to play the latest titles,2gb will simply not be enough.As far as psu is concerned,if you're not willing to spend too much then the antec vp450p will be your best bet-just make sure you're getting the newest revision of this psu while buying it from any retailer or online store.

OP
G

geekyraj

Broken In
Your mobo lacks PCIe x3 slot and I'm afraid newer GPUs may be bottle-necked by it (correct me if I'm wrong). BF3 won't run good on 2GB ram that too ddr2.

Don't fix a budget for PSU. You might end up buying a crap one because of that.
DG35EC Expansion Options
  • PCI Support1
  • PCIe x1 Gen 2.x2
  • PCIe x4 Gen 2.x0
  • PCIe x8 Gen 2.x0
  • PCIe x16 Gen 2.x1
Please suggest one compatible vfm graphics card. I may save some bucks as well. I don't need to play latest games.

OP
G

geekyraj

Broken In
1050ti will be compatible with your configuration,but your cpu may bottleneck it to some extent.Please consider upgrading your ram to atleast 6gb if you want to play the latest titles,2gb will simply not be enough.As far as psu is concerned,if you're not willing to spend too much then the antec vp450p will be your best bet-just make sure you're getting the newest revision of this psu while buying it from any retailer or online store.
It seems 1050ti is compatible but bottlenecked by my cpu. Also the performance seems to be low with PCIe x16 2.0 . So please suggest most suited vfm graphics card (economical) fully compatible with my config . It may be from previous generation.

quicky008

Technomancer
You can go for an older gpu like Gtx 650ti/GTx 750ti/Gtx 760 if you're not very keen on getting a newer card-750ti is the most VFM option out of these 3(make sure it has atleast 2gb of vram though) .There's no point in buying these cards new so you may consider looking at the second hand peripherals market and see if you can find one at a reasonable price,preferably with warranty.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
@rajnishmall

1. Get 1050ti. PCI-e are backward compatible. As its not a high end card, the performance difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is not noticeable. Buying older generation cards makes no sense at all. I think your processor is not going to bottleneck the 1050ti that much. Even if it does and if you consider upgrading CPU+mobo in future, atleast you'll have latest graphics card with you.
2. Antec VP450p is no better than Corsair VS450, and VS450 costs somewhere around 2.5k. I don't exactly know the price of VP450p (its around 3.2k online), so find and get the cheaper one. Both of these are good enough for your system needs.
3. Get more RAM, atleast 4GB stick, making a total of 6GB. I am afraid DDR2 800MHz will impact the gaming performance, but it won't be much. Your games will run just fine.
4. Cabinet is personal choice. I'd suggest to go for a cabinet around 2k so that you have the money for additional RAM (it is a must!)

OP
G

geekyraj

Broken In
@Vineet Sharma
Thanks for suggestions. 1050ti is definitely going into my system. But I can't find 4gb ddr2 ram online at affordable price (reason may be its outdated). Only 2 Gb varient is available. Also I am running 32bit Windows 7. Will not 6 GB be unused by it?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@Vineet Sharma
Thanks for suggestions. 1050ti is definitely going into my system. But I can't find 4gb ddr2 ram online at affordable price (reason may be its outdated). Only 2 Gb varient is available. Also I am running 32bit Windows 7. Will not 6 GB be unused by it?

You need 64 bit windows to utilize >4GB ram.
DDR2 is ancient. You might be able to find a compatible one on ebay though.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
@Vineet Sharma

Oh, I didn't know that.
Yes, 32 bit systems can't utilize more than 4GB memory. Either install 64bit OS (that shouldn't be problem) or...just get the 2GB stick, totaling to 4GB. DDR2 667Mhz sticks can be found as low as Rs. 655/- on Amazon (Amazon.in: Buy hynix 2gb ddr2 RAM Memory desktop Online at Low Prices in India | Hynix Reviews & Ratings), it shouldn't cost much. You would still be able to play games

check these out, latest games running on DDR2:

However, I only see one problem, which is many (latest) games don't support 32bit OS very well (especially if you don't get the games from *authentic* sources). Try if 32 bit still works good for you, otherwise he'll eventually have to move on 64bit.

quicky008

Technomancer
while you're at it you may even consider upgrading your cpu to something like a q9550-they can be found on ebay for anywhere between 1700-2500.

OP
G

geekyraj

Broken In
Thanks everybody. Btw I am considering buying 2GB version of 1050ti. considering my configuration, any need to I go for 4GB or OC version of 1050ti ? About the RAM, will there be any compatibilitie issue in mixing different speed RAMs?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
get VS450 .. and replace it after 3 years.. and after shutting down pc , make sure that you switch off the main plug/cut AC power

If you have voltage fluctuations/bad power then go for Cx 430 otherwise not..

this is assuming you are on a budget..

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
4GB 1050ti should be your priority, as latest titles easily use >2 GB (3GB average) VRAM.
Regarding difference in RAM speed, I guess your current RAM must be running either on 667MHz or 800MHz. Once you get the new RAM, the overall speed will depend on the slower RAM.
667MHz RAM with 800MHz RAM gives you 667MHz speed overall.
There shouldn't be any problems or much performance difference between 667 or 800MHz.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your mobo lacks PCIe x3 slot and I'm afraid newer GPUs may be bottle-necked by it (correct me if I'm wrong).
Not for his purpose - gaming under his budget.

PCI Express 3.0 vs. 2.0: Is There a Gaming Performance Gain? - Page 4 of 6 - Hardware Secrets

(PCIe 3.0 X4 = PCIe 1.0 X16.)

PCIe 3.0 x8 vs. x16: Does It Impact GPU Performance?

(PCIe 3.0 X8 = PCIe 2.0 X16) - The OP has PCIe 2.0 X16.

For machine learning and compute when you have to transfer huge data from RAM to VRAM, there will be difference. For gaming, there won't be a difference in the GPUs for his budget. For really fast GPUs, yea we can expect some performance loss but that's when you go down to PCIe 3.0 X4 or PCIe 1.0 X16.

Last edited:
Top Bottom